P1000 Ok. I killed my battery...

Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
...by leaving my aux battery switch on! Duh!

I jumped it off this am, but it would not
go in gear & the cluster lights were flashing
like a John Travolta movie. I then tried
charging it for 6 hours at 2 amps. All that
got me was a buzzing noise when I turned
the key. Solenoid of some sort I suppose.

Did I really screw it up? Charge at 6 amps
for an hour, like it says on the battery?

Input please.

John

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The machine emits a buzzing tone when the key is left on and is normal. Is that the sound you might be hearing? Not sure about battery.

Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
I didn't try to crank it when I
heard the buzzing.

I just tried it again, only the
LCD lights up, but very dim.
No clicky when I turn the key,
now.

Have I ruined this battery?

Maybe both?

John

The machine emits a buzzing tone when the key is left on and is normal. Is that the sound you might be hearing? Not sure about battery.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I discovered the buzz by accident awhile back and new my 5 yr old had been playing in the front seat while parked in the garage and switched the key on.

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
I didn't try to crank it when I
heard the buzzing.

I just tried it again, only the
LCD lights up, but very dim.
No clicky when I turn the key,
now.

Have I ruined this battery?

Maybe both?

John
Unhook both batteries and charge both at same time on different chargers overight on 6 amps. They are not gone.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
10.5 volts is consider 0% battery for lead acid 12v batts. Anything under that, the manufacturer says you could permanently damage the battery. I've been in your shoes buddy, and that's what I was told. At work, our equipment runs on deep cycle 12 V batteries. There have been times when I had 40 blue top Optima is in my shop floor. Once we started going by Optima's recommendation to never discharge below 10 1/2 V, we started having a lot better luck with batteries.

By the way, all the above mentioned blue tops, were all sent to recycling! We got 3-4 years on them. Now we get more like 5 to 6 years.

I said all this to tell you that in my experience a battery can be revived and sometimes it cannot. Sometimes it only takes one severe deep cycle and the battery will not recover.

Let us know how it turns out.

Reactions: Stauvo
Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
Ok. I am not interested in being worried
about being stuck on the trail because
of damaged batteries. I will make way
to replace them.

I will order another one of the aux
battery I have, but should I order
a duplicate of the factory battery,
or something else?

Thanks for the input.

John

10.5 volts is consider 0% battery for lead acid 12v batts. Anything under that, the manufacturer says you could permanently damage the battery. I've been in your shoes buddy, and that's what I was told. At work, our equipment runs on deep cycle 12 V batteries. There have been times when I had 40 blue top Optima is in my shop floor. Once we started going by Optima's recommendation to never discharge below 10 1/2 V, we started having a lot better luck with batteries.

By the way, all the above mentioned blue tops, were all sent to recycling! We got 3-4 years on them. Now we get more like 5 to 6 years.

I said all this to tell you that in my experience a battery can be revived and sometimes it cannot. Sometimes it only takes one severe deep cycle and the battery will not recover.

Let us know how it turns out.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok. I am not interested in being worried
about being stuck on the trail because
of damaged batteries. I will make way
to replace them.

I will order another one of the aux
battery I have, but should I order
a duplicate of the factory battery,
or something else?

Thanks for the input.

John
It's highly recommend to get the same age and size batteries for the dual set up. They also need to be batteries that are made for offroad use so they can take the beating. It does not have to be duplicate of the factory, there are other brands that are the same type as the factory battery that will work just fine. I hope this helps.

Reactions: joeymt33
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
"...by leaving my aux battery switch on!"

Sounds like you've decided to get new batteries. That is definitely the safest route.
You should look into the cause of the draining. What can you do to prevent killing these batteries if you leave that switch on again?

Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
I'll order another factory
battery & another of my
aux battery.

Thanks!

John

It's highly recommend to get the same age and size batteries for the dual set up. They also need to be batteries that are made for offroad use so they can take the beating. It does not have to be duplicate of the factory, there are other brands that are the same type as the factory battery that will work just fine. I hope this helps.

Reactions: sharp
advertisement
Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
As a pilot, I remember where aircraft
owners would tie their master switch
to an exterior light or buzzer, so they
would have clear indication that their
master was on, after exiting the plane.
I drained a battery in my plane this way
a couple of years ago. I opted to replace
it to limit issues in the air, and I remembered
that thought process, which immediately
lead me to decision to replace the batts
in my P1K3.

I think I will add an additional light to
P1k to make more apparent, and I will
investigate a buzzer for my plane.

Live & learn.

Thanks!

John
"...by leaving my aux battery switch on!"

Sounds like you've decided to get new batteries. That is definitely the safest route.
You should look into the cause of the draining. What can you do to prevent killing these batteries if you leave that switch on again?

Reactions: joeymt33 and sharp
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've never had a good memory. As a result I have to always be conscious of what I might forget and either make it fool (lousy memory) proof or set triggers to remind me.

I'm trying to say.... I feel your pain.

Reactions: joeymt33
Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
Thanks.

I just ordered two new
batteries from Amazon.

Later!

John

I've never had a good memory. As a result I have to always be conscious of what I might forget and either make it fool (lousy memory) proof or set triggers to remind me.

I'm trying to say.... I feel your pain.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One thing I have purchased but have not got a chance to install is a low voltage disconnect. You can set a predetermined voltage cut out and when it reaches this voltage it will disconnect the battery. I have been think about using this as maybe an alternative to a dual battery setup. I actually need to get this done, because I had the same issue with a dead battery just last week when someone (myself) forgot to turn the key off. Maybe something that might interest you. I actually got mine out of the bargain cave at cabelas for $20.
m-LVD Low Voltage Disconnect - Blue Sea Systems

Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
Hmmmm... Interesting, this is.

Research required.

Thanks!

John

One thing I have purchased but have not got a chance to install is a low voltage disconnect. You can set a predetermined voltage cut out and when it reaches this voltage it will disconnect the battery. I have been think about using this as maybe an alternative to a dual battery setup. I actually need to get this done, because I had the same issue with a dead battery just last week when someone (myself) forgot to turn the key off. Maybe something that might interest you. I actually got mine out of the bargain cave at cabelas for $20.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like I said, I haven't actually got around to installing it, but in theory it should work pretty well. You can hook it up and program it to turn off if it hits 11.0 volts for example. It has an override button so you can by-pass it and actually a spot to attach an external alarm if you want it to sound if voltage gets to low. Thought I might give it a try but then again I only paid $20 so I'm not out much. The Blue Sea items that I have purchased before seem like good quality.

Reactions: dotman1
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
...by leaving my aux battery switch on! Duh!

I jumped it off this am, but it would not
go in gear & the cluster lights were flashing
like a John Travolta movie. I then tried
charging it for 6 hours at 2 amps. All that
got me was a buzzing noise when I turned
the key. Solenoid of some sort I suppose.

Did I really screw it up? Charge at 6 amps
for an hour, like it says on the battery?

Input please.

John
A proper battery isolator would have prevented this from drawing down your OEM battery only the AUX battery, did you not install one? or did you wire things up incorrectly that defeated the isolator?

Reactions: sharp
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I thought about adding one of those too. However, when winching very hard I see my voltage drop to 10.5 volts even with two batteries! Of coarse as soon as I let off the winch switch it rises back up to 13+.

I thought that one of these low-voltage cut outs would cut power off anytime I was wincing a very heavy load.

Just something to think about.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
A proper battery isolator would have prevented this from drawing down your OEM battery only the AUX battery, did you not install one? or did you wire things up incorrectly that defeated the isolator?
I'm guessing it was wired in parallel. It's the only was accessories would kill both batteries.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I thought about adding one of those too. However, when winching very hard I see my voltage drop to 10.5 volts even with two batteries! Of coarse as soon as I let off the winch switch it rises back up to 13+.

I thought that one of these low-voltage cut outs would cut power off anytime I was wincing a very heavy load.

Just something to think about.

A properly installed isolator and properly wired accessories would only kill the feed from draining the OEM battery, the Winch would still draw from the Aux battery until you drain it entirely.

advertisement