P500 Oil burning?

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
I have a 2018 P500 with about 2000 miles. On my last ride (about 500 miles) the first day we rode about 75 miles and I burned about 1/2 quart of oil. When engine braking down moderate to steep hills I did occasionally smell oil. I checked the oil on flat ground and refilled to the full line. Over the next 5 day and 425 miles the P500 didn't burn anymore oil. Has anyone ever heard of an engine start burning oil then stop burning. Can an oil ring get stuck then unstuck? I checked the airbox and didn't find any evidence of oil getting pushed through the crankcase ventilation hose/PCV. Are there other possibilities for oil burning?

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
You can burn oil without having issues from stress on the machine like engine braking alot, running higher RPMs basically stressing an engine out. Shouldn't be alot of oil. 1/2 qt is a decent amount. Did u check the level before you headed out or just when u smelt it? If you didnt before u headed out, its hard to say exactly why

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
I checked oil before heading out, and after riding every day. The first day of riding was the easiest day, was in the mountains and on higher speed dessert roads on subsequent days. I was planning on doing a top end rebuild but now I will probably just monitor for the next several rides.

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I checked oil before heading out, and after riding every day. The first day of riding was the easiest day, was in the mountains and on higher speed dessert roads on subsequent days. I was planning on doing a top end rebuild but now I will probably just monitor for the next several rides.
Dont forget to hit reply or tag someone when responding. I just seen you said something down the list.

Anyway, shouldn't have to do a top end with 2k miles on these unless you've beat the $hit out of it.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Burning oil on deceleration (engine braking) is from the valve seals, not the piston/oil rings. I wouldn't worry about it though, it's not uncommon for single cylinder engines to use a little oil here & there, especially if using synthetics.