No brake lights?

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I just noticed tonight my pioneer has no brake lights? The rear lights function as running lights only. Is everyone else's this way too? Hard to believe if that's the case. I've had 4 wheelers and side by sides with brake lights for a decade.

Reactions: Lady01 and bigr244
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
The brake light switch just needs adjustment. Adjust it to tighten the small spring by screwing it out from the back side.
F560e535c1e0157ae43a5a12423ca4d0D184ca558103b18dad3208e63a37e87c

M

matt33

Jun 4, 2016
NE PA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Great thread. Since day one of Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe ownership, I thought it was weird that I didn't have brake lights, only rear running lights. I made a quick adjustment as shown above, and my brake lights function perfectly now.

I am disappointed in Honda's QC on these machines. From the factory, I've have to adjust/modify the following:
  • door stops to prevent rattles
  • adjust the 2wd/4wd cables so that 2wd, 2wd locked, 4wd, and 4wd locked all engage properly
  • re-aligned the front end to within 1/32" of zero degree toe (was out a mile)
  • re-centered the steering wheel
  • now I just discovered that I should have functioning brake lights after a quick adjustment

These were small and easy fixes, and I love the Pioneer 1000, but these QC issues are unacceptable on a $17k machine that bears the Honda name.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Great thread. Since day one of Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe ownership, I thought it was weird that I didn't have brake lights, only rear running lights. I made a quick adjustment as shown above, and my brake lights function perfectly now.

I am disappointed in Honda's QC on these machines. From the factory, I've have to adjust/modify the following:
  • door stops to prevent rattles
  • adjust the 2wd/4wd cables so that 2wd, 2wd locked, 4wd, and 4wd locked all engage properly
  • re-aligned the front end to within 1/32" of zero degree toe (was out a mile)
  • re-centered the steering wheel
  • now I just discovered that I should have functioning brake lights after a quick adjustment

These were small and easy fixes, and I love the Pioneer 1000, but these QC issues are unacceptable on a $17k machine that bears the Honda name.

My dealer adjusted everything on mine before I got it and when I went back in for the 100 mile service they went through everything again.

truc577

truc577

Lifetime Member
May 17, 2017
NEMO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wells hit I didn't know that. I just thought they skipped it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lady01 and joeymt33
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just an fyi, only turn the ring and not the body of the switch. It'll try to turn too so gotta hold it.

Reactions: Lady01 and pct
truc577

truc577

Lifetime Member
May 17, 2017
NEMO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wells hit I didn't know that. I just thought they skipped it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WOW I suck I finally just got around to adjusting the brake light.

Reactions: Lady01
advertisement
OnlineScuba

OnlineScuba

Mar 28, 2017
arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey Folks,

I have the opposite problem my brake lights are stuck on. I took the switch off and tested, nothing, stays on regardless of plunger position. I do have the Ryko street legal kit on and wondering if that could be doing it?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey Folks,

I have the opposite problem my brake lights are stuck on. I took the switch off and tested, nothing, stays on regardless of plunger position. I do have the Ryko street legal kit on and wondering if that could be doing it?
Disconnect the Ryko kit and see what happens. You may have a defective convertor, or your wiring is incorrect.
Is this kit specific to the Pioneer?
Do you have a link to the kit you installed? Still have the instructions? I bet you have something wired wrong right now, or whatever they use to control the brake lights/turn signals has gone bad. If it has gone bad, I suggest replacing with this unit from Amazon or purchase it locally.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005S572FI/?tag=sxsweb24-20

OnlineScuba

OnlineScuba

Mar 28, 2017
arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi Neohio,

Thanks for your reply. I will find out more info on the kit. Here is what I know so far, the brake lights would stay on when the ignition key was turned on. As I said before, the brake switch plunger in or out does nothing but I did notice that the street legal kit, they tied in a red wire off the red one from the brake light switch. So, I cut that wire, turned on the ignition switch and no brake lights just tail lights. So, I hoped that the brake lights would start working so I pulled the plunger on the switch, still nothing. Does this sound like brake switch needs to be replaced?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any chance you have pictures of your wiring? Or a wiring diagram?
How comfortable are you with 12v systems? Do you own a test light? DVOM(Voltmeter) etc?

One more thing, Year and model please. 16 1000-5D?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@OnlineScuba
According to the diagram in my manual, you want to tap into the Green/Yellow wire off the brake light switch. That goes to the back to the tail lights. The red/black comes from a joint connector.
Meaning, the red/black wire is hot anytime the ignition is on.
So, grab a test light or DVOM set to DC volts. Turn igntion on, you should have 0v on G/Y at rest. 12v with brakes applied. If this is the case, your switch is good. Hook up your wire to the G/Y and report back.

Reactions: ODAMO and Lady01
OnlineScuba

OnlineScuba

Mar 28, 2017
arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi Neohio,

I do have a tester and am fairly comfortable with 12 volt systems. I have a 2016 1000-5 Deluxe Pioneer. I will look over everything tonight and report back. Thanks for breaking it down to something that I can easily follow now.

Bill

Reactions: Lady01 and Neohio
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi Neohio,

I do have a tester and am fairly comfortable with 12 volt systems. I have a 2016 1000-5 Pioneer. I will look over everything tonight and report back. Thanks for breaking it down to something that I can easily follow now.

Bill
Bill, Please report back just to close the loop, I am confident that hooking to the G/Y will solve your problem.

OnlineScuba

OnlineScuba

Mar 28, 2017
arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMG 1208
Hey Neohio,

Yep that was it. I had this installed in February and have been driving around all summer not knowing. Like I said I had the garage door closed pressed on the brakes nothing happened now I know and you're right it was tied into the wrong wire. Now I am wondering why the turn signal lights up front Are always on with ignition , (not just lights) thinking those are tied into the wrong spot as well. If you ever make it to Las Vegas beer is on me

J

JTW

I didn't have brake lights after my clutches were replaced... I cranked and messed with the brake switch adjustment and nodda. I just knew that was my issue. Then I thought... I wonder if the dealership did something. Checked the bulbs and it was good. Looked under the bed and voila, they didn't plug the lights back up! Long story short.... KISS... Keep It Simple Stupid. Start with the most simple, obvious solution and work from there.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 53995 Hey Neohio,

Yep that was it. I had this installed in February and have been driving around all summer not knowing. Like I said I had the garage door closed pressed on the brakes nothing happened now I know and you're right it was tied into the wrong wire. Now I am wondering why the turn signal lights up front Are always on with ignition , (not just lights) thinking those are tied into the wrong spot as well. If you ever make it to Las Vegas beer is on me
Bill,
Seeing as you added the front light indicators, chances are you have something wired at the switch incorrectly. If the supplier gave a wiring diagram, study it and confirm all the wires are hooked correctly. If that still doesn't work. Post some pics of your switch, hopefully it has a model number we can decipher and help with your front indicators staying on.

advertisement