P500 New stuff for the new toy

M

mikemann0

Feb 7, 2020
Johnson City , Tn
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Month old and 17 miles , went from yellow plastic to blue , hard roof , itp steel wheels and 27/9/12 sunf f tires , 2" lift spacers , all for now and install pics hopefully by next weekend.

KIMG0612 KIMG0622

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Someone here says "when blue" they go a little faster, LOL... Do enjoy the P500...

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
M

mikemann0

Feb 7, 2020
Johnson City , Tn
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I was hoping a little extra width would help the tippiness...and for the low cost not a big deal if I have to remove them

Reactions: trigger
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I was hoping a little extra width would help the tippiness...and for the low cost not a big deal if I have to remove them
Are you putting taller tires too? Anyway, it’s imperative that you go out as much as you go up.

Also, stretching the suspension with lift spacers will make an already stiff ride with a scant 5.9” of travel worse, as @trigger pointed out. Really not a great idea IMO.

advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

I think you have us all confused with the verbiage. If you're talking about wheel spacers then i doubt anyone here would frown upon that. This is a somewhat tippy machine out of the gate and adding taller tires without adding to the width makes it a puckerfest. Your OP said lift spacers which is interpreted as spring spacers. They give you some lift but make the stiff suspension of the P5 even worse. Adding that height, along with taller tires and without spreading the stance at all would be asking for trouble.

M

mikemann0

Feb 7, 2020
Johnson City , Tn
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I am contemplating wheel spacers also but yes 2" spring spacers for a little extra lift - really wasn't sure if needed with 27" tires but I have them just in case , The wheels are 5-2 so that should widen me over stock a little bit.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I think you have us all confused with the verbiage. If you're talking about wheel spacers then i doubt anyone here would frown upon that. This is a somewhat tippy machine out of the gate and adding taller tires without adding to the width makes it a puckerfest. Your OP said lift spacers which is interpreted as spring spacers. They give you some lift but make the stiff suspension of the P5 even worse. Adding that height, along with taller tires and without spreading the stance at all would be asking for trouble.
Puckerfest!!!! Auto correct doesn’t like that word. Did you just make it up? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Mudwing and trigger
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I am contemplating wheel spacers also but yes 2" spring spacers for a little extra lift - really wasn't sure if needed with 27" tires but I have them just in case , The wheels are 5-2 so that should widen me over stock a little bit.
Milemann0, when you say spring spacers that is disassembling the shock/springs and adding a 2” spacer? Or a spacer that bolts to the frame adding 2” of lift? For 27” tires you will not require a lift. I run 5-2 rims, 27x11x12 Kenda BearClaw HTR radials on all corners and its great. Does sling mud up front and you may wanna put on fender extenders, made my own from 3mm thick UHMW.

Perhaps I’m not as aggressive as others, (had mine since fall of ‘14), and don’t find it “tippy”, pukerfactor sure... (what isn’t at the limit) maybe I’m just lucky, knock on wood not experienced layover yet. When I first had mine with 26” tires same rims, parked it sideways on a hill at max puker... got out and tried to push/pull over, couldn't do it. What I learned was that my puker meter was over calibrated so that’s good... in addition I think these little machines are like turtles, once tipped up on the verge, they will go over quick.

Lastly a 2” spring (as in dis-assemble), will ride stiff, so will a 1” tried that and for me it got tiring quickly. Maybe will work for you as I don’t know how much weight you are packing and what your use is. For comparison mine is a work first play second rig, hauls primarily me, with chainsaw and a few hand tools, so relatively light. Best bet is first buy radial tires I’d say 40% smoother with 12” rims (more sidewall flex). Then if you can swing it aftermarket shocks, I run Elka Stage 3s and it’s a different machine, easily 1 to 2 gears quicker.
Cheers,
j

Last edited:
M

mikemann0

Feb 7, 2020
Johnson City , Tn
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Jcart I did 27-9-12 radials all the way around , I did stay with 12's for more rubber to ground for a smoother ride hopefully and 9's to keep weight down a tad , If the spacers which are the in between spring type are too rough no big cost loss at $20 and fairly quick to remove if needed , I need to get it out on some local trails to see if i'm going to be limited to width issues before I do order wheel spacers though , from what I've read some just space the rears and their good ?

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Jcart I did 27-9-12 radials all the way around , I did stay with 12's for more rubber to ground for a smoother ride hopefully and 9's to keep weight down a tad , If the spacers which are the in between spring type are too rough no big cost loss at $20 and fairly quick to remove if needed , I need to get it out on some local trails to see if i'm going to be limited to width issues before I do order wheel spacers though , from what I've read some just space the rears and their good ?

Ok gotcha, yea early on I made spacers from heavy wall aluminum tubing I had in my shop and tried a number of heights. Again it may work for your needs, so give it a whirl and let us know. Can’t comment on spacers as did 5-2 rims and I’m at 54.5” wide as I recall.