P1000m5 New Member / Owner

S

sdex2112

Oct 28, 2019
MA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hello All,

New member / owner here with an introduction and few questions.
I grew up with dirt bikes, 3-wheelers and quads, started riding in the mid 1980s [first bike was a CR125 if I remember correctly], then a few Yamahas [YZ250, Tri-Z 250], etc... From my mid 30s though mid 40s I did not ride very much at all. Then, a few years ago my wife and I acquired some property up in New Hampshire [north of the Lakes Region]. There are hundreds [maybe thousands] of miles of well maintained trails to ride up there. I started riding again up there with my brother-in-law who owns a couple of PoPo 500 quads. To my surprise [and delight] my wife absolutely loves to ride up there with me. She loves to take in the beautiful views from the back of the quad while I concentrate on the trail.
Borrowing a quad from my bro-in-law every so often was getting old so we stated to look for a machine of our own. We were intrigued by the SxS machines rather than traditional quads due to the similarity of common auto driving.
After a little research and my limited experience with the PoPos, I wanted to avoid belt-drive if possible. I have experienced the legendary reliability of Honda products, and last [but certainly not least] this incredible HondaSXS forum and community pretty much solidified my search to only Pioneers.
We started looking at the P500, but while at the dealer we really liked the 4-person capability of the 700-4 adding the ability to take some extended family members on the trails with us. Also - ride quality was a high priority in our decision making process as my wife is just recovering for a back surgery [fusion of 4 discs], so we were looking for ride quality significantly better than the P500.
We had pretty well decided on the 700-4 when a great deal on a slightly used 2019 P1000-5 [base model] came up. It was originally sold in June 2019 and traded back in in October 2019 [sold and traded back into the same dealership I purchased from]. So we jumped on it. It had 277 miles when I took delivery of it. The only mod / add-on is the Honda 1-piece windshield.

We plan to trail ride only [mainly the "Ride-The-Wilds" trail system in Northern New Hampshire]. I do not plan on any heavy mud-bogging or rock climbing at all. We will encounter shallow streams, occasional mud, occasional rocky trails, and a lot of dirt and gravel.

Here are the questions:
1 - How can I tell for sure if the "cab comfort" upgrade was performed? I'm feeling a lot of heat through the seat even after riding a short while in cooler temperatures. [I see a bilge fan mod in the not-too-distant future].
2 - Should I install the extended / elevated vent kit to prevent any water intrusion, or has this pretty much been solved on the 2019 models?
3 - I am planning on mirrors, hard roof and winch as the top 3 necessary upgrades. Does this sound reasonable?
4 - A shock upgrade may also be necessary depending on how well my wife is able to take the bumps after full recovery from the back surgery. We're also thinking about thick gel cushion for her seat.
5 - How necessary are the skid plates for trail riding? Should I add these to the short-list of necessary upgrades?
6 - Anything else you all would consider necessary that I do right away, before putting on too many more miles?

I'm really hoping to get many good miles and years from this machine and I want to maintain it and upgrade it as necessary to achieve that.

Lastly, It's really great to see a very active, knowledgeable and helpful community here on this forum. It gives me some confidence that if I do happen to encounter any issues, I can always come here and ask for advice and get some no-nonsense responses. I hope I can gain enough experience to contribute some wisdom to this forum in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hello All,

I grew up with dirt bikes, 3-wheelers and quads, started riding in the mid 1980s [first bike was a CR125 if I remember correctly], then a few Yamahas [YZ250, Tri-Z 250], etc... From my mid 30s though mid 40s I did not ride very much at all. Then, a few years ago my wife and I acquired some property up in New Hampshire [north of the Lakes Region]. There are hundreds [maybe thousands] of miles of well maintained trails to ride up there. I started riding again up there with my brother-in-law who owns a couple of PoPo 500 quads. To my surprise [and delight] my wife absolutely loves to ride up there with me. She loves to take in the beautiful views from the back of the quad while I concentrate on the trail.
Borrowing a quad from my bro-in-law every so often was getting old so we stated to look for a machine of our own. We were intrigued by the SxS machines rather than traditional quads due to the similarity of common auto driving.
After a little research and my limited experience with the PoPos, I wanted to avoid belt-drive if possible. I have experienced the legendary reliability of Honda products, and last [but certainly not least] this incredible HondaSXS forum and community pretty much solidified my search to only Pioneers.
We started looking at the P500, but while at the dealer we really liked the 4-person capability of the 700-4 adding the ability to take some extended family members on the trails with us. Also - ride quality was a high priority in our decision making process as my wife is just recovering for a back surgery [fusion of 4 discs], so we were looking for ride quality significantly better than the P500.
We had pretty well decided on the 700-4 when a great deal on a slightly used 2019 P1000-5 [base model] came up. It was originally sold in June 2019 and traded back in in October 2019 [sold and traded back into the same dealership I purchased from]. So we jumped on it. It had 277 miles when I took delivery of it. The only mod / add-on is the Honda 1-piece windshield.

We plan to trail ride only [mainly the "Ride-The-Wilds" trail system in Northern New Hampshire]. I do not plan on any heavy mud-bogging or rock climbing at all. We will encounter shallow streams, occasional mud, occasional rocky trails, and a lot of dirt and gravel.

Here are the questions:
1 - How can I tell for sure if the "cab comfort" upgrade was performed? I'm feeling a lot of heat through the seat even after riding a short while in cooler temperatures. [I see a bilge fan mod in the not-too-distant future].
2 - Should I install the extended / elevated vent kit to prevent any water intrusion, or has this pretty much been solved on the 2019 models?
3 - I am planning on mirrors, hard roof and winch as the top 3 necessary upgrades. Does this sound reasonable?
4 - A shock upgrade may also be necessary depending on how well my wife is able to take the bumps after full recovery from the back surgery. We're also thinking about thick gel cushion for her seat.
5 - How necessary are the skid plates for trail riding? Should I add these to the short-list of necessary upgrades?
6 - Anything else you all would consider necessary that I do right away, before putting on too many more miles?

I'm really hoping to get many good miles and years from this machine and I want to maintain it and upgrade it as necessary to achieve that.

Lastly, It's really great to see a very active, knowledgeable and helpful community here on this forum. It gives me some confidence that if I do happen to encounter any issues, I can always come here and ask for advice and get some no-nonsense responses. I hope I can gain enough experience to contribute some wisdom to this forum in the future.

Thanks in advance.
I think the skids are the most important item on your list

Reactions: TripleB and Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello All,

Here are the questions:

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the club.
1. If it’s a 2019 it will have it installed already. Pull up your seat and look to make sure. Front seat will have a latch in the front middle FYI.
2. Extended vents are always a plus compared to factory location.
3. Up to you, it never ends!
4. It rides pretty good but if you ride rough trail she’ll appreciate the shocks.
5. SKIDS ARE A MUST!
6. If you ride rough trails close to home, install a good skid first.

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the addiction :) I would go with skids and winch with 2nd battery before anything else. If you pick your seat you will see a rubber mat over the engine. That is the comfort upgrade, but they were applied mid 17 model.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mudwing
S

sdex2112

Oct 28, 2019
MA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for the welcomes and quick replies folks! Looks like i'll be adding skid plates to the short-list of necessary upgrades. I will also include the second battery install along with the winch. The research for the best accessories shall begin. I'll start with the accessories available in the HondaSXS Club Store.
Here are a few not-do-great cell phone photos:

Picture1

Picture2

Picture3

Picture1

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks good I like the black. I ended up with Honda Red, it was a deal I couldn't pass up. If you have adults riding in the back or even kids you might want to pick up 2 boat cushions. Makes it much more comfortable for them.

advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks for the welcomes and quick replies folks! Looks like i'll be adding skid plates to the short-list of necessary upgrades. I will also include the second battery install along with the winch. The research for the best accessories shall begin. I'll start with the accessories available in the HondaSXS Club Store.
Here are a few not-do-great cell phone photos:

View attachment 172755

View attachment 172756

View attachment 172757

View attachment 172754
You need a full roof, they are great for pivoting around trees! I like my Alien shade roof in the hot Summer and helps the noise factor, just leave it on and take the Honda roof off during the hot months, Thanks @Landman!

S

sdex2112

Oct 28, 2019
MA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Looks good I like the black. I ended up with Honda Red, it was a deal I couldn't pass up. If you have adults riding in the back or even kids you might want to pick up 2 boat cushions. Makes it much more comfortable for them.

I really like the red myself. We’re already talking about a color change. I think these guys have a great idea:

Reactions: TripleB and Mudwing
S

sdex2112

Oct 28, 2019
MA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You need a full roof, they are great for pivoting around trees! I like my Alien shade roof in the hot Summer and helps the noise factor, just leave it on and take the Honda roof off during the hot months, Thanks @Landman!

Agreed. Will be doing a full roof. I really like the idea of the shade roof for summer also. I was considering the Bad Dawg hard roof: Honda Pioneer 1000 Crew Cab Aluminum Roof | Bad Dawg UTV/Side-By-Side Accessories

Anyone have experience with Bad Dawg products??

Reactions: Mudwing
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Welcome from Northern Illinois!!!!

S

sdex2112

Oct 28, 2019
MA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If your going to do the Alien Shade, I would get a hard roof that's easy to take on and off.

Good point.... I may have to look at other roofs. I really do not want to add any more unnecessary overall height if I can avoid it. I believe I read somewhere that the Honda hard roof adds an additional few inches of height.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Good point.... I may have to look at other roofs. I really do not want to add any more unnecessary overall height if I can avoid it. I believe I read somewhere that the Honda hard roof adds an additional few inches of height.
It does and could be an issue on an enclosed trailer. I sure like the clamps on the Honda roof for removing and installing though.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Consider weight also, the P1's have a pretty tall ROP system, I ride some off camber trails and I don't want any more weight up high than necessary.

advertisement