New member from NC without an ATV.

G

G Dinkins

Apr 17, 2015
I'm getting up in age and I want to take the time to get back into the country side as I was raised in the country,
I really miss my time in the woods as I have spent the majority of my time working and have lost the time I love in the outdoors
My problem is that I have a bad back and I am really looking for the right ATV to meet my comfort level.
Hopefully the back problem will be solved in the coming weeks.
Possibility a side by side with bucket seats would be most comfortable.
I have looked around and cannot decide which ATV would be suitable. The side by sides seem most suitable,
but which one?
I set in a Polaris and the leg room was shy of being enough.
I like the Honda 500 but it lacks the diff lock but it has a fairly good speed limit.
I favor the enclosed Kuboda diesel but the speed is too slow.
I can't seem to get any definite info that I can compare different models to.
I need some actual user input about reliability and ride comfort.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Have you sat in the 700? Also, what's the top three most important things? Example:
-speed and handling
-comfortable ride
-ease of getting in and out
-work ability (towing/hauling/dump bed)
-reliability (Hondas won't require as much maintenance)
-track width (50" or 60")
-aftermarket support

For me the pioneer 700-4 was a better fit. It hauls the kids for family fun trial rides. It works around our property by hauling and towing. It's the smallest package with a good turn radius, front locker, decent aftermarket support, and it's only 10' long with all that capability.

Joe

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you sat in the 700? Also, what's the top three most important things? Example:
-speed and handling
-comfortable ride
-ease of getting in and out
-work ability (towing/hauling/dump bed)
-reliability (Hondas won't require as much maintenance)
-track width (50" or 60")
-aftermarket support

For me the pioneer 700-4 was a better fit. It hauls the kids for family fun trial rides. It works around our property by hauling and towing. It's the smallest package with a good turn radius, front locker, decent aftermarket support, and it's only 10' long with all that capability.

Joe

Exactly what he said, with a bad back if you're going to ride all day, my only adds to that would be the power steering and a seatbelt pad if your over 5'9" or so. The seat belt keeps you in place and if you're going up and down hills it'll wear on that left shoulder(only time I noticed it was after 3 whole days of riding at WindRock the next day when I was riding at home it was tender.

G

G Dinkins

Apr 17, 2015
Joeymt said:
Have you sat in the 700? NOT YET, BUT I WILL.
Also, what's the top three most important things? Example:
-speed and handling: HANDLING
-comfortable ride: FOR SURE
-ease of getting in and out NOT IMPORTANT
-work ability (towing/hauling/dump bed) HAULING EXTRA EQUIPMENT FOR CAMPING
-reliability (Hondas won't require as much maintenance) I''M AWARE OF THIS FEATURE
-track width (50" or 60")50"
-aftermarket support DEFINITELY

I did give some thought to camping and that meant carry room. Maybe towing a small trailer.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
There are some rumors about Honda releasing some new SXS vehicles soon. You may want to stay tuned and see what they are.

G

G Dinkins

Apr 17, 2015
I made a visit to the Honda Dealer in Winston Salem, NC.
My goodness they had the inventory.
The prices were on a tag and far below what I have seen advertised.
I saw where one guy had a 2014 SxS equipped similar to what I want for sale on the forum in Charlotte NC, but his price was greater than a new 2015.
He had pictures of it on the for sale section but did not say if it was a 5 or 700.
So, I'm looking.
I might note that I have a close friend that has a restored army jeep.
He has it in an enclosed trailer.
He intends to sell the jeep to a foreign buyer and will sell me the trailer cheap. I need this as a storage means. It would make a good hauling trailer for the SxS and a few personal items.
I have not measured it as of yet, but maybe next week.

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you're buying the 700 make sure the door on that trailer is at least 84" (7") opening height. Not ceiling height. To get it in and out with anything taller than factory tires and a roof.