P1000 New leak after first service normal?

T

Toothfairy

Nov 22, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I live in small rural area in Northeast TN and decided to drive the two hours to the Honda service center for the 100 mile oil change and service. Now I notice a leak on the skid plate and ground below. Is it worth taking back over or are these leaks pretty easy to see once the skid plate is off? And is it a usually as simple as tightening a fitting? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

40D43D71 E210 4C76 B8D2 453FE3336447 7118D716 868D 40C7 9AE9 97B670691628 94AB8BBB 6FFC 44A9 B0B2 A8A6FE9C920D

Reactions: Lady01
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
You will find once you start doing the maintenance yourself and having skid plates that sometimes you can make a bit of an oil mess on to the skid plate and it's hard to get your hand in there to wipe it all off. Sometimes you have to power wash it to get it off 100%. This very well could be the problem. But I would suggest to check your drain plug and your oil filter plates and see if there is oil dripping from those okay. If there is I would try to tighten them up a little bit but don't go crazy. All depends upon how severe those areas are leaking if you really want to take it back to the dealer

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
People have posted pull change videos on YouTube for the different Honda Pioneer models, too

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As Remington suggests, they probably spilt some oil onto the skid plate when they drained it. I'd wipe up what you can reach, then check it the following day. If there's oil, wipe it up again. Repeat. If you do this for a couple of days and visible oil decreases or stops entirely, likely there's no leak.

Lochsa88

Lochsa88

Apr 13, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
pull the skid off and clean it and everything underside of machine. probably just spilled onto skid. it can be messy, but dealer should know that and take proper precautions. Best to familiarize yourself with oil change process. Not too diffifuclt. Afew details you need to be aware of; lots of info on here to help... or youtube. I did my 100 mile svc, then took it to dealer for 2nd svc to check other things they check. Plan to do rest from here on. Oh, and before i took machine to dealer, i removed the skid plate and reinstalled afterwards.

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
In addition to what's been suggested several times above, KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR OIL LEVEL. If there's an active leak, the oil has to come from somewhere. You don't want to be running your bike with a low oil level while you "wipe, observe, rinse and repeat".

Lady01

Lady01

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2019
Midland Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
In addition to what's been suggested several times above, KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR OIL LEVEL. If there's an active leak, the oil has to come from somewhere. You don't want to be running your bike with a low oil level while you "wipe, observe, rinse and repeat".
I have been there... 2019 P1K-3 when I performed the 3rd oil change, the next day I had an oil leak... it bothered me for two weeks before I could get at it again. Needless to say I removed the engine oil filter cover and it looked good... I proceeded to the sub-trans filter cover and there it was, UGH! The o-ring, mis-aligned and pinched, allowing the leak. Like I said... this was the third oil change (I performed all of them) and I pinched the o-ring!
It happens, it made a real mess but did NOT lose a lot of oil on the dip stick.
Hope you find your issue fast! Good Luck!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lochsa88
H

HondaTech

Probably just a lazy tech who cant be bothered to finish the job and clean up their mess. Or if your smart, you can avoid this by pulling the skid plate in the first place.

#lazyf***s

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
... I proceeded to the sub-trans filter cover and there it was...
Just to be clear on language, you found a problem on your DCT filter cover. The sub-trans has no filter. I only correct this because it gets jumbled in the heads of new Pioneer owners reading here.

advertisement
Lady01

Lady01

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2019
Midland Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just to be clear on language, you found a problem on your DCT filter cover. The sub-trans has no filter. I only correct this because it gets jumbled in the heads of new Pioneer owners reading here.
Sorry about that, and thanks for the correction! You are correct! the DCT filter cover... I was looking at a couple of threads and bounced back to this and said "sub trans" by mistake!

Yep, it was my own fault, I didn't pay enough attention to the o-ring when I installed the cover... not in a hurry, I just didn't pay enough attention to it when I bolted the cover up.

Last edited:
Reactions: TxDoc and CID
Lady01

Lady01

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2019
Midland Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have been there... 2019 P1K-3 when I performed the 3rd oil change, the next day I had an oil leak... it bothered me for two weeks before I could get at it again. Needless to say I removed the engine oil filter cover and it looked good... I proceeded to the sub-trans filter cover and there it was, UGH! The was o-ring mis-aligned and pinched allowing the leak. Like I said... this was the third oil change (I performed all of them) and I pinched the o-ring!
It happens, it made a real mess but did NOT drop a lot of oil on the dip stick.
Hope you find your issue fast! Good Luck!!
sorry about that... Not Sub Trans Cover I meant DCT Cover

Reactions: TxDoc and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Sorry about that, and thanks for the correction! You are correct! the DCT filter cover... I was looking at a couple of threads and bounced back to this and said "sub trans" by mistake!

Yep, it was my own fault, I didn't pay enough attention to the o-ring when I installed the cover... not in a hurry, I just didn't pay enough attention to it when I bolted the cover up.
I've found both covers difficult to reseat without rotating the covers to work the o-ring past the sharp machined edge in the engine case. This is a problem for me because I want to replace the 5 cover bolts with studs so I'm not constantly running steel bolts into soft aluminum.

I'll ease that edge soon so the o-rings will slip into place without pinching. I haven't done it yet because I've been on trips for both oil changes this summer and do campsite oil changes as quickly as possible so a sudden wind gust doesn't fill the openings with dust. :oops: