P1000 New Camo P1000-5 Deluxe

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey everybody, first time poster - wanted to say hi and thanks for all the information provided by different members. Myself, the wife, and the two little ones (almost 7 year old son and 4 year old daughter) made the P1000's maiden voyage this afternoon. My 16 year old son rode with us on our 2004 Polaris sportsman 700.

We had a great time and I was pretty impressed with the 1000. It felt a little rougher than the rzr 900-4 we rented last year, but I was surprised that it maintains its composure pretty well with harder pushing. There were several times I was going at a pretty fast pace and ran up on something I wasn't expecting and it soaked it up really well. I had a squeak and some rattles that I will address (I assume they are the doors or the bed) based on the easy fixes I have read about. The power is outstanding (comparable to the rzr 900-4). I had read about the reverse gearing being a little high but today was the first I realized it was because low range only applies to forward. I was thinking the subtransmission low range would be for forward and reverse since I thought of it as a transfer case, but now it makes sense. We only got in one sticky situation where I had to give strong throttle in reverse to get it moving, but I don't expect to be in situations like this often. It did back up as needed though. Stock tires, by the way.

New machine, learning the ropes with it, and I do have one question - after we had been riding for 20-30 minutes or so it seemed like it was putting off excessive valve train noise - this noise seemed to be coming up behind the front seat. I almost thought it might be the rear end due to turf mode cable adjustment (like it wasn't completely coming out of 2wd locked), so I put it in 2wd locked and the noise persisted. Changing to low range seemed to quieten it down pretty good. It seemed that it showed up the most when in a little too high of a gear under load (I kept it in auto mode 98% of the ride so it was the machine's choice of gear). I can understand if it is normal operating noise for this engine - just wanted to know if others have experienced the same noise to see if it was normal. I live in North Louisiana, and believe it or not - the pipeline we were riding on was very hilly and somewhat challenging. It had been years since I had ridden this particular pipeline and had forgot how much fun it was.

Other things I noticed is the rear end noise that I've read about and a little heat from the engine coming up right behind the front seat. Neither really bothered me. Every rzr I've been in has made this absolutely aweful noise in the front end that sounds like it is about to fall apart. Polaris says it's normal but I can't stand it. To me they sound like there is gravel in the gears. The rear drive noise from the honda is completely different - just sounds like loud gear whine.

Anyway, hope this doesn't sound as though I'm coming off negative - we really enjoyed the P1000. It's an impressive machine. Very nimble, awesome power steering, more power than needed, very tight steering. Prior to purchase, our choice for a family ride came down the the P1000-5 or the rzr 1000-4. We rode them both back to back and decided on the Honda. The rzr was just so LONG and the steering didn't turn very sharp. There are several places we went today that a rzr 1000-4 just wouldn't be able to go due to tight turns (I know this was a pipeline, but sometimes you have to take side trails for short distances for various reasons).

We have a trip to Mount Magazine planned in a few weeks, so I'm pushing to get my 100 mile service complete before we go.

By the way, my VIN ended in several zeros followed by I think 119. Does this sound like it was the 119th camo model made, or the 119th P1000-5 made? Sticker on frame says December 2015.

Thanks,

Waylan

Reactions: ghost and pct
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
@walexa07 Welcome to the Club! Congratz on the P1000! Don't get paranoid on the different noises, a bunch of different technology at work no other model has. Some of it should die down within the first 150 miles as you learn what is normal. If you have concerns about the vales have it checked at the 100 mile initial service period.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks @JACKAL, I'm not too worried about it since it comes with a 1 year warranty - just hadn't read anything regarding the "clatter" I was hearing so thought I would see if anyone else had noticed. Figure I'll make a decision on whether to extend the warranty before the first year is up.

I have also determined that I will want to add a windshield at some point - lots of wind in our faces, lol. Ready for warm weather! Very inspired by your build thread - I will be doing some things but planning to take my time. I want a roof, windshield, winch, light bar(s), dome light(s), bed extender, and maybe something to help cut down mud in the back. I don't intend to ride in mud on purpose - but if the trails I ride have some mud that's not deep and must be traversed to keep going so beit. I was really amazed by what the 1000 will navigate in only turf mode - IRS on this thing really keeps both back wheels planted well.

Again, thanks for the welcome - hope I can add information to the forum through my experiences.

Waylan

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Just a thought, the clatter you hear may be the bed latches you are mistaking for valve clatter at idle, Some members have covered the hooks with heat shrink, tape, etc. and that quiets it right down, that and adjusting the door stops to eliminate vibration all of which is very noticeable sitting still idling once things free up a bit.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You coming to mount magazine in Arkansas? I don't live too far from there.

Reactions: amc019
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You coming to mount magazine in Arkansas? I don't live too far from there.

Yes, towards the end of March!

@JACKAL, the noise is definitely engine or drive train related. I would almost have to ride in another in the same terrain to see if it is normal/typical. I'm not going to worry about it for now - just see if it quietens or if it causes any issues. It really sounds to me like valve clatter. Doesn't do it at idle - only under load under medium throttle when it seems like it may almost be in one gear too high. Next time I notice it I am going to manually downshift one gear to see if it goes away. I don't even know if I ever noticed it if I was in low range. Changes with rpm. At first I thought it was a stick or something dragging against the drive train somewhere.

I did also have the typical door rattles from the back. I put electrical tape on the latches this morning - I don't see how shrink wrap could be used since the latch is solid welded. I think I have a little bed rattle but haven't figured out how to do anything there. Going to look at other threads and see what has been done on other bikes. Passenger front door is bumping the plastic near the fuel tank - a piece of hook and loop there should fix that if it's causing noise.

Thanks again for the welcomes!

Waylan

Reactions: amc019
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let us know when you come up to AR a week or so before. I have rode a lot around the state.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let us know when you come up to AR a week or so before. I have rode a lot around the state.

10-4 will do. Have you been to Mount Magazine before? Do you usually ride with a group? We've never been but have heard it is a good place to ride. I've been to Mena, AR, and to Russellville, AR.

Thanks,

Waylan

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
10-4 will do. Have you been to Mount Magazine before? Do you usually ride with a group? We've never been but have heard it is a good place to ride. I've been to Mena, AR, and to Russellville, AR.

Thanks,

Waylan

Nope, I have only rode in the Mill Creek area, as well as the Buckhorn OHV area, they are both within 45 minutes from Fayetteville.

advertisement
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What are your thoughts on Mill Creek and Buckhorn? From reading, it looks like the trails around Mount Magazine are only 30 or so miles. We might trailer somewhere for the 2nd day of riding.

Thanks,

Waylan

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What are your thoughts on Mill Creek and Buckhorn? From reading, it looks like the trails around Mount Magazine are only 30 or so miles. We might trailer somewhere for the 2nd day of riding.

Thanks,

Waylan

Love both places, used to take my RZR 1000 there all the time, but haven't managed to get the Honda out there yet, waiting to get my new a-arms on before I get into serious trail riding. Buckhorn is a little easier, some technical stuff around Mill creek. I could meet you either place I'm sure, know both of them pretty well. I think Mill creek would be a littler closer to you coming from magazine, and I think the trails are better as a whole.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Love both places, used to take my RZR 1000 there all the time, but haven't managed to get the Honda out there yet, waiting to get my new a-arms on before I get into serious trail riding. Buckhorn is a little easier, some technical stuff around Mill creek. I could meet you either place I'm sure, know both of them pretty well. I think Mill creek would be a littler closer to you coming from magazine, and I think the trails are better as a whole.

With the family in the 1000-5 and a 16 year old son on a Sportsman 700, I'm not looking for anything really hairy or advanced, but if you think these trails fit the bill and/or we can avoid the really difficult stuff I'm game. I think we can ride out the trails at Mt. Magazine in a day, and plan to travel to one of the other places for our second day. We can take it to PMs.......

Thanks,

Waylan

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You might also consider macks pines waylan. They have the national forest right there and you could ride for a week and see different stuff every day. Bring a gps if you venture out in any of these places. We rode mulberry a few weeks ago and used the gps to find our way back at the end of the day.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let me know when you are coming and I will try and meet you out there as well.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Right now planning to travel the Thursday after good Friday to Mt. Magazine, ride Mt. Magazine on Friday, then somewhere else on Saturday. I've been to Mack's Pines several times and have always enjoyed it. I do plan to go there again, but wanted to try something new, plus the Mt. Magazine lodge should be a hit with the wife and kids from what I have heard/seen about that place. Mack's Pines' accommodations have always been sufficient for a group of guys, but never impressed the wife. Would really like to join up with some others though - and it's a plus if you know the trail system.

One time I had a gps at Mack's Pines - I didn't realize that it had limitations or the settings were wrong and after a certain point, it began overwriting tracks like looped recording (I didn't record any waypoints). Anyway we made it back fine - but it's a different ballgame when you assume the gps is catching everything and you are not worried about keeping track of turns and all. There was a bit there I was a little worried, lol.

Waylan

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What kind of GPS do people use to ride trails like you mention? Are they the same as auto ones?

Thanks, Stauvo

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Right now planning to travel the Thursday after good Friday to Mt. Magazine, ride Mt. Magazine on Friday, then somewhere else on Saturday. I've been to Mack's Pines several times and have always enjoyed it. I do plan to go there again, but wanted to try something new, plus the Mt. Magazine lodge should be a hit with the wife and kids from what I have heard/seen about that place. Mack's Pines' accommodations have always been sufficient for a group of guys, but never impressed the wife. Would really like to join up with some others though - and it's a plus if you know the trail system.

One time I had a gps at Mack's Pines - I didn't realize that it had limitations or the settings were wrong and after a certain point, it began overwriting tracks like looped recording (I didn't record any waypoints). Anyway we made it back fine - but it's a different ballgame when you assume the gps is catching everything and you are not worried about keeping track of turns and all. There was a bit there I was a little worried, lol.

Waylan

I am game for Macks Pines (never been) or either of the NWA trail systems. Its up to y'all. @nbomar and I will be coming from the same area

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a toyhauler so my accommodations are always the same.

As far as gps goes I use the motion x app on my iPhone. If we have other riders who have an iPhone as well, you can setup a dedicated channel and see each other on the map in case you get lost. I just use a terrain overlay on the map and mark the campsite before I leave. If I run across something I definitely want to come back to or definitely don't ( a nasty trail) I drop pins on the map and mark them. At the end of the ride I turn off the tracking feature and save the maps so I have them for the next ride out. You can also share the maps back and forth with other people as well.

Reactions: ChadMarti
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks nbomar, I will check out that app.

advertisement