new and need help

T

tabby

Dec 8, 2019
Charleston, WV 25312
Ownership

1. 500
My husband and I purchased a used p500 about a year ago and just recently we started having shifting issues. We got a code for the angle sensor, replaced it no change so then we found the shifting motor had a piece of the internal magnet had broken off and jammed it up. Easy fix. But at the same time we started having a battery issue killed 2 brand new batteries in the course of just 2 weeks. Finally found the voltage regulator/rectifier overheating and melting down again easy change. Problem is we have a spark at the battery each time we put cables on it and the new regulator/rectifier is still getting hot to the touch. I feel like we may possibly have a bad ground but I dont really know where to go next. We enjoy working on and restoring old cars but this sxs is kicking my butt. Any ideas?

Reactions: Backwoods and sharp
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
My husband and I purchased a used p500 about a year ago and just recently we started having shifting issues. We got a code for the angle sensor, replaced it no change so then we found the shifting motor had a piece of the internal magnet had broken off and jammed it up. Easy fix. But at the same time we started having a battery issue killed 2 brand new batteries in the course of just 2 weeks. Finally found the voltage regulator/rectifier overheating and melting down again easy change. Problem is we have a spark at the battery each time we put cables on it and the new regulator/rectifier is still getting hot to the touch. I feel like we may possibly have a bad ground but I dont really know where to go next. We enjoy working on and restoring old cars but this sxs is kicking my butt. Any ideas?
could be a bad ground but also could just be a bad rectifier. iv seen alot of them in the last few yrs on alot of models just be a bad batch.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

T

tabby

Dec 8, 2019
Charleston, WV 25312
Ownership

1. 500
could be a bad ground but also could just be a bad rectifier. iv seen alot of them in the last few yrs on alot of models just be a bad batch.

Will definitely keep in consideration that was in the back of my mind.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
check youtube. they are pretty easy to test. we had one on a 420 that went out . the new one we checked at the shop and it was bad.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is there a winch or anything electrical that was added to the machine before you got it? Sounds like you have something back feeding and a parasitic drain happening.