P500 New 2018 pioneer 500 owner

Ragincajun92

Ragincajun92

Mar 19, 2018
Kingsland, Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
I’m new here and just bought a 2018 p500 over the weekend. I love this little dude and it’s a lot better for me and the wife than our Previous Honda four wheeler. I am already ready to start improving on it. The first thing I want to go is the stock tires. I was set on keeping the stock rims and just adding tires but from what I’m reading it makes it tippy. So most say to get new rims with a different offset to help. I don’t have to worry about 50” trails where I ride. I will be using this for hunting, cruising dirt roads,hitting some atv parks and some mud riding from time to time with friends and family. So this brings me too my question. What tire and rim combo do you recommend? I’m thinking 26” tires should be plenty. I was thinking maybe some delta steel wheels or something black. Some of the tires I have in mind are the interco reptiles, mudlite xtr, Maxxis Bighorn,maxxis Bighorn 2.0. Just looking for ideas and recommendations from you guys in the know. I just don’t want to have that tippy feeling as I do ride some hills and swamps from time to time. Thanks in advance for your help.

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from Alabama, this is a great place to get information, ideas and suggestions from members.
After much time spent debating tire and wheel combos and a few posts asking advice of others, I finally decided on four 26x9-12 ITP Blackwater Evolution (8 ply radial) mounted on STI HD Beadlock wheels.
My biggest holdup on going 26" was making sure it would still fit (vertically) in my enclosed trailer. Haven't had a chance to get many miles on them yet, but so far I really like the combo.
180313 Mod1 180313 Mod6
Good luck on your tire/wheel quest.

Ragincajun92

Ragincajun92

Mar 19, 2018
Kingsland, Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from Alabama, this is a great place to get information, ideas and suggestions from members.
After much time spent debating tire and wheel combos and a few posts asking advice of others, I finally decided on four 26x9-12 ITP Blackwater Evolution (8 ply radial) mounted on STI HD Beadlock wheels.
My biggest holdup on going 26" was making sure it would still fit (vertically) in my enclosed trailer. Haven't had a chance to get many miles on them yet, but so far I really like the combo.
View attachment 69279 View attachment 69280
Good luck on your tire/wheel quest.
I love the way yours is set up. That’s how I want mine to look

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
Ragincajun92

Ragincajun92

Mar 19, 2018
Kingsland, Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
I’m having the hardest time choosing what tire to go with. So may good options

mrjeff42

mrjeff42

Mar 22, 2015
lagrange georgia
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome

5+2 wheels with 1 1/2" spacers is a good combo IMO , this will gain you roughly 4" of width !
I'm looking at wheel spacers.... do i need bigger in the rear? like 1 1/2" front and 2" rear or just 2" all the way around?

advertisement
C

Chooglin

I'm looking at wheel spacers.... do i need bigger in the rear? like 1 1/2" front and 2" rear or just 2" all the way around?
Yes , you will most likely need to go with a wider spacer in the rear. It will also depend on if you run the same size tire on all four or go with a wider tire in the back !

I am running 5+2 wheels with 26x9x12 tires on all four. I had to run 1 1/2" spacers in the rear and 1" in the front to get my width close to the same , front and back !

Reactions: mrjeff42
mrjeff42

mrjeff42

Mar 22, 2015
lagrange georgia
Ownership

1. 500
Yes , you will most likely need to go with a wider spacer in the rear. It will also depend on if you run the same size tire on all four or go with a wider tire in the back !

I am running 5+2 wheels with 26x9x12 tires on all four. I had to run 1 1/2" spacers in the rear and 1" in the front to get my width close to the same , front and back !
thanks chooglin...

Reactions: Chooglin
C

Chooglin

thanks chooglin...
I would buy the tires and wheels you want , get them on the machine and go from there , as far as what spacers you will need. This will let you know what spacers you will need front and back , rather than getting the wrong size spacers !

Reactions: mrjeff42
Ragincajun92

Ragincajun92

Mar 19, 2018
Kingsland, Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
Can you guys that have the 26” bighorn OG’s tell me how they do in mud. I’m not always looking for a mud hole but sometimes you have no choice to but go through one.

C

Chooglin

Can you guys that have the 26” bighorn OG’s tell me how they do in mud. I’m not always looking for a mud hole but sometimes you have no choice to but go through one.
I have had good luck with mine in the mud , although I don't go looking for mud holes , I do and will go through them !

I am sure there are better tire for mud , but the BH's are a good all around tire IMO.

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4

I've got 26" Bighorn OGs. They do pretty good in the mud, certainly not as well as a dedicated mud tire, but they do well most everywhere.

advertisement