AMink

AMink

Supporting Member
Jun 6, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
I am putting the ST spring kit on my '21 2 seat live valve. No directions in the box but good videos online...except for the LV 2 seater. I called and got a quick response regarding the measurements for the preload and crossover settings. The front is pretty close to suggested ride height but the rear looked like one of those squatted trucks. It was down around 6-7" of clearance.

The initial (from the phone call) measurements were 1.75" on the preload and 6.5" on the crossovers. That was the squatter. I looked more on Youtube and found a LV video that said 2.75" and 5.75" so I tried those numbers. I'm still only at 10" ride height in the rear. That video was for a 4 seater.

So, do I just keep cranking the preload until I get to 14" ride height or is it possible the incorrect springs were sent?

Reactions: Blownzuki and TxDoc
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

So, do I just keep cranking the preload until I get to 14" ride height or is it possible the incorrect springs were sent?
Yes and yes.

If you can't get to spec'd ground clearance, you have the wrong springs for the load you're carrying. That's how I knew that I had to replace the rear springs, I bottomed out the preload (ran out of threads on the shock body) and was still almost 4" low in the back.

Doing this also screwed up my crossover adjustment since the crossover rings were bottomed on the shock body and the preload rings were bottomed on the crossover rings, stacked tight. :oops:

I bought a full set of HD springs from Weller Racing and never put the front set on because all the added weight was behind the rear axle, which, theoretically, should unweight the front 'a bit'.

I'm not familiar with the LV but here's a photo of my tender, squished under static load. It started life at ~4" and ended up here after a few thousand miles and trying to get my ground clearance back up to 14". I had ~10-1/2" GC here.
I nQJv454 X2

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I am putting the ST spring kit on my '21 2 seat live valve. No directions in the box but good videos online...except for the LV 2 seater. I called and got a quick response regarding the measurements for the preload and crossover settings. The front is pretty close to suggested ride height but the rear looked like one of those squatted trucks. It was down around 6-7" of clearance.

The initial (from the phone call) measurements were 1.75" on the preload and 6.5" on the crossovers. That was the squatter. I looked more on Youtube and found a LV video that said 2.75" and 5.75" so I tried those numbers. I'm still only at 10" ride height in the rear. That video was for a 4 seater.

I have ST springs on my 21’ X2 I didnt think they mad them for a LV🤔
Anyway, pre load, ride hight is all up to you. Its not plug and play. You have to Fuc with it, drive it, fuc with it again and repeat till its right for you. Took me 4 rides to get it to my liking. If I told u what mine are at, you most likely wont like it like I wouldn't like yours. Sorry, but its the truth and LubeTube dosnt help matters either

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Anyway, pre load, ride hight is all up to you. Its not plug and play. You have to Fuc with it, drive it, fuc with it again and repeat till its right for you. Took me 4 rides to get it to my liking. If I told u what mine are at, you most likely wont like it like I wouldn't like yours. Sorry, but its the truth and LubeTube dosnt help matters either
While I agree that fine tuning is strictly preference but, since I'm not an engineer, I use spec'd ground clearance as a place to start. That will set up Honda's intended chassis geometry including CV angles.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
While I agree that fine tuning is strictly preference but, since I'm not an engineer, I use spec'd ground clearance as a place to start. That will set up Honda's intended chassis geometry including CV angles.
Yea sir! Thats a good place to start and on with the fucery from there😁🤣🥳
And bring beer! Lots of it!

AMink

AMink

Supporting Member
Jun 6, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
Yes and yes.

If you can't get to spec'd ground clearance, you have the wrong springs for the load you're carrying. That's how I knew that I had to replace the rear springs, I bottomed out the preload (ran out of threads on the shock body) and was still almost 4" low in the back.

Doing this also screwed up my crossover adjustment since the crossover rings were bottomed on the shock body and the preload rings were bottomed on the crossover rings, stacked tight. :oops:

I bought a full set of HD springs from Weller Racing and never put the front set on because all the added weight was behind the rear axle, which, theoretically, should unweight the front 'a bit'.

I'm not familiar with the LV but here's a photo of my tender, squished under static load. It started life at ~4" and ended up here after a few thousand miles and trying to get my ground clearance back up to 14". I had ~10-1/2" GC here.
View attachment 432095

Yea sir! Thats a good place to start and on with the fucery from there😁🤣🥳
And bring beer! Lots of it!
Thanks all. I'm going through the motions of shock off, shock on, shock off, shock on. Right now I'm heading to 2" past what was recommended. When you buy the ST springs, they ask a bunch of questions like how much do driver and passenger weigh, how big of a winch, where's the spare, cooler, etc. plus any other stuff that adds weight. If I can't get it today I'll call them again on Monday and see what's up.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks all. I'm going through the motions of shock off, shock on, shock off, shock on. Right now I'm heading to 2" past what was recommended. When you buy the ST springs, they ask a bunch of questions like how much do driver and passenger weigh, how big of a winch, where's the spare, cooler, etc. plus any other stuff that adds weight. If I can't get it today I'll call them again on Monday and see what's up.
I adjusted mine on the buggy with a spanner wrench. It'll make it a lot easier if you jack the buggy up until the shocks top out.

Where I got them. Make sure the LV is 2-1/2" before ordering.

The spanners come as a pair, I only use the top one.
I xkrjnck l jpg

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yup, thats what they do they can get it right. Thats another reason things will be way off from norm till u dial it in your way

Reactions: AMink and Blownzuki
AMink

AMink

Supporting Member
Jun 6, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
Well, I got to 14", got the crossovers set, and am hoping to get out this week and see how they work.

• Love
Reactions: Remington and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Well, I got to 14", got the crossovers set, and am hoping to get out this week and see how they work.
Are the tender springs still fairly extended of have they compressed like in my photo?

Reactions: Remington
advertisement
AMink

AMink

Supporting Member
Jun 6, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
Are the tender springs still fairly extended of have they compressed like in my photo?
They're extended. I was concerned but no need.

Reactions: CID