P1000 Need light options for the top

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got the dual battery kit almost done, time to get some lights on order.

In a perfect world I'd be slapping a light bar at the top of the windshield but I went ahead with the SuperATV flip up windshield, so the light bar is going at the bottom of the windshield. Given I would still like some light up high to read terrain a bit better does anyone know of any bracket options for pod lights to mount toward the top?

I'm a bit of a rookie when it comes to SxSs so I'm not really sure where to go look out side of Amazon and some random google searches. I can fab something up but don't have much time for that. Worst case I can print something off the 3D printer, but always concerned with fragility on that material.

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have my light bar mounted below the flip up windshield, and does just fine lighting up the night. I actually mounted some pod lights to the front bumper angled out to see better along the side of the trial. Fa0100168acdb1ca39e261f9c45a58c8

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've got the dual battery kit almost done, time to get some lights on order.

In a perfect world I'd be slapping a light bar at the top of the windshield but I went ahead with the SuperATV flip up windshield, so the light bar is going at the bottom of the windshield. Given I would still like some light up high to read terrain a bit better does anyone know of any bracket options for pod lights to mount toward the top?

I'm a bit of a rookie when it comes to SxSs so I'm not really sure where to go look out side of Amazon and some random google searches. I can fab something up but don't have much time for that. Worst case I can print something off the 3D printer, but always concerned with fragility on that material.
I made my brackets out of an old street sign. I will say from time to time that big ass light is great but most of the time I cant run it due to some issue like on road use or other machines in front of me. I get far more use out of the smaller lights I've installed. My most used light is I'm my bumper right below the winch. It's high enough to not be totally blocked from throwing light but also low enough that I can use it as a fog or driving light when snow or rain makes the headlights a pain. I would also recommend starting with some cheaper lights as I've had to relocate and replace a few after my genius placement failed lol. I'm in the process of replacing a couple that I've got worked out with better quality lights. I've also learned that a few of mine are sacrificial and I've almost come to expect to rip them off in certain situations.

300231E5 366C 4606 9482 F1F83E6D24D8 DSC 0634

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just bent some flat bar attached to a couple OEM bar clamps to hold a light bar just below the roof.

View attachment 253708
I was debating doing something along those lines but it will interfere with the windshield.

I like the pictures and it looks like most people run them to the side, but I am looking to go forward with mine. Will be predominantly for my late season elk hunt and it is about 20 miles of icy/muddy rutted roads each morning and evening in the dark. Looking to get that higher light angle so I can pick out obstacles a bit better, not just a while and black line.

More curious if what the common places to order light bar mounts are. I've been buying stuff for the last 15-20 years from rockymountainATV but they don't have much, just not sure if or who the go to website is for SxS parts.

Reactions: Lady01
MC_Crowbar

MC_Crowbar

Lifetime Member
Mar 4, 2018
McAlester, OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was debating doing something along those lines but it will interfere with the windshield.

I like the pictures and it looks like most people run them to the side, but I am looking to go forward with mine. Will be predominantly for my late season elk hunt and it is about 20 miles of icy/muddy rutted roads each morning and evening in the dark. Looking to get that higher light angle so I can pick out obstacles a bit better, not just a while and black line.

More curious if what the common places to order light bar mounts are. I've been buying stuff for the last 15-20 years from rockymountainATV but they don't have much, just not sure if or who the go to website is for SxS parts.

I have the regular Honda windshield, so I can't speak to the flip-up, or aftermarket, but I made the brackets so that they reach over the windshield before dipping down under the front lip of the roof. I had the windshield off for install in that pic, I could take more later, if you're at all interested. One thing about the OEM clamps, they tend to spin since you don't have great control over how tight they are, so I've been planning to add a little piece of angle to the light bar end to attach it to the roof itself to help hold the light bar up, hopefully to help keep it from sagging.

Reactions: Lady01 and Ohio4x4
B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the regular Honda windshield, so I can't speak to the flip-up, or aftermarket, but I made the brackets so that they reach over the windshield before dipping down under the front lip of the roof. I had the windshield off for install in that pic, I could take more later, if you're at all interested. One thing about the OEM clamps, they tend to spin since you don't have great control over how tight they are, so I've been planning to add a little piece of angle to the light bar end to attach it to the roof itself to help hold the light bar up, hopefully to help keep it from sagging.
I'd be interested in a pic if you have one.

After about an hour of searching pics an youtube videos it looks like I am an outlier on where I want to mount my lights. May just do a standard mount above the windshield with the PODs down on the a-pillar and move them later if it isn't working for me. After a little more thought everywhere I ride is going to be down below 50 or 60 degrees at night so the windshield may be down anyway.

Worst case I will punt and go with these for the light bar:

And these for the pod lights:

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One last question before I start ordering parts, any consensus on the best size light bar to put up front? In a perfect world I would probably like to go between the top and middle bar on the bumper for a little added protection. Just haven't had a chance to measure it yet.

MC_Crowbar

MC_Crowbar

Lifetime Member
Mar 4, 2018
McAlester, OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know I'm a little late with the extra pictures, but here's my front light bar mount with the windshield in place. I didn't need (nor want to have to power) a full-width light bar - I'm happy with the output without having to fuse and wire for more than 30 amps. The only thing I don't like about it, is that it sags pretty easy, which is why I mentioned that I'd like to add something to attach it to the roof for help keeping it in the right position.
IMG 3688
IMG 3689
IMG 3690
IMG 3691

advertisement
B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That one isn't bad but would interfere with my windshield. Where are you buying your clamps from? I like those clamps but they seem a little expensive in my searches.

MC_Crowbar

MC_Crowbar

Lifetime Member
Mar 4, 2018
McAlester, OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That one isn't bad but would interfere with my windshield. Where are you buying your clamps from? I like those clamps but they seem a little expensive in my searches.
I bought them off BikeBandit a couple of years ago.