MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
H4

H2

H6

I think my German Shepherds love the new Pioneer 1000-5D as much as I do. Nearly perfect for my needs right out of the box, there are only a few modifications I want to make and I'd like recommendations from others who have already been down this road.

1- I want a heavy duty bumper that doesn't add too much weight. I'm thinking the one from Tough Country. Who has the best price? Is there a better bumper choice?

2- I was thinking a Warn 4,500# winch. Any reason not to, other than price?

3- Who makes the best light bars in the business? I'm shopping value over cost.

4- The netting helps discourage the dogs from jumping out to chase deer/elk/bobcat/etc. Is there a matching netting that I could use for the far back over the tailgate? I'd also like netting to put between the bed and the front seat to prevent them from jumping over. My dogs live an isolated life and don't like strangers. If I were to ride them on a public trail, I want to be certain that they can't get out of my machine.

5- The seat material seems to be of good quality, but I don't like the risk of one of the dogs running a toenail through it. Anybody make a good seat cover?

6- Honda offers a drop in bed liner, but it's available in CA only for some reason. Any comparable liners available?

7- Best windshield?

Thanks much, it's good to be back.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think my German Shepherds love the new Pioneer 1000-5D as much as I do. Nearly perfect for my needs right out of the box, there are only a few modifications I want to make and I'd like recommendations from others who have already been down this road.

1- I want a heavy duty bumper that doesn't add too much weight. I'm thinking the one from Tough Country. Who has the best price? Is there a better bumper choice?

I bought mine about 2 yrs ago and found it from a company in TX for less than $600 shipped, $585 IIRC. They list for about $800 now, but search the web, I am sure you can find them for less. TC is first rate bumper, you would love it.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
View attachment 160178

View attachment 160179

View attachment 160180

2- I was thinking a Warn 4,500# winch. Any reason not to, other than price?

3- Who makes the best light bars in the business? I'm shopping value over cost.

4- The netting helps discourage the dogs from jumping out to chase deer/elk/bobcat/etc. Is there a matching netting that I could use for the far back over the tailgate? I'd also like netting to put between the bed and the front seat to prevent them from jumping over. My dogs live an isolated life and don't like strangers. If I were to ride them on a public trail, I want to be certain that they can't get out of my machine.

5- The seat material seems to be of good quality, but I don't like the risk of one of the dogs running a toenail through it. Anybody make a good seat cover?

6- Honda offers a drop in bed liner, but it's available in CA only for some reason. Any comparable liners available?

7- Best windshield?

Beautiful dogs!

Can't speak to the bumper but I can add a few for the others you asked about. You can also check out the P1k build threads and see what others have done to their machines. Link to the Build threads: P1k Builds

2 - The Warn winches are nice. I run a cheap Harbor Freight Badlands 5k winch and know many others that do as well with no issue. The Viper winches are also really popular and @Hondasxs sells them in the store here. Any winch is better than no winch.

3 - Rigid makes really nice lightbars/pods. I bought a few cheap Amazon 18" lightbars for my ATV and both have dead LED's after a year or so. I just went with a 21" Harbor Freight LED in the P1k since it was $89 and for another $11 I got a 2-years no questions asked replacement plan, so if it gets moisture in it or blows up I'll just swap it for a new one.

4 - You can get a rear screen from Coversandall.com that has rivets you can bungee to your rear ROPS. A lot of guys use it to keep the dust down after adding a windshield, but you could probably use it to keep the dogs in as well. I think they may sell one for the mid section as well. Here's a picture I found from a FB group that has the measurements and what it looks like (measurements are from an order for a clear vinyl one but they are the same for whatever fabric you choose)

FB IMG 1570733768625 FB IMG 1570733786173

5 - @100Acre do you have anything on your seats for your pooch? I have a small dog and just throw a towel down on the seat when she rides.

6 - I'd just cut some stall mat to fit in the rear. You can pull it out when you need to use the rear seats. If you have a Tractor Supply store around you can get a large sheet there for less than $50: 4'x6'x3/4" Rubber Stall Mat

7 - Super ATV flip up seems to be the go to.

Hopefully that helps you out some. Welcome from south Louisiana!

Last edited:
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Beautiful dogs!

Can't speak to the bumper but I can add a few for the others you asked about. You can also check out the P1k build threads and see what others have done to their machines. Link to the Build threads: P1k Builds

2 - The Warn winches are nice. I run a cheap Harbor Freight Badlands 5k winch and know many others that do as well with no issue. The Viper winches are also really popular and @Hondasxs sells them in the store here. Any winch is better than no winch.

3 - Rigid makes really nice lightbars/pods. I bought a few cheap Amazon 18" lightbars for my ATV and both have dead LED's after a year or so. I just went with a 21" Harbor Freight LED in the P1k since it was $89 and for another $11 I got a 2-years no questions asked replacement plan, so if it gets moisture in it or blows up I'll just swap it for a new one.

4 - You can get a rear screen from Coversandall.com that has rivets you can bungee to your rear ROPS. A lot of guys use it to keep the dust down after adding a windshield, but you could probably use it to keep the dogs in as well. I think they may sell one for the mid section as well. Here's a picture I found from a FB group that has the measurements and what it looks like (measurements are from an order for a clear vinyl one but they are the same for whatever fabric you choose)

View attachment 160193 View attachment 160192

5 - @100Acre do you have anything on your seats for your pooch? I have a small dog and just throw a towel down on the seat when she rides.

6 - I'd just cut some stall mat to fit in the rear. You can pull it out when you need to use the rear seats. If you have a Tractor Supply store around you can get a large sheet there for less than $50: 4'x6'x3/4" Rubber Stall Mat

I sometimes throw a dog blanket down for her esp if it’s chilly out but no, I currently don’t have anything to keep her in place. The only times she really has issue is when I slam on the brakes and she usually ends up on the floorboards

G

graybear

Nov 20, 2013
East Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I picked up this windshield with lower vent flaps for $540 from my dealer. I added some extra vents on the top for summer. I like the warn winches and they have always got me out of a bind. I bought a merino wool sheep skin to use on my seat. Keeps the seat cool in the summer and warm in the winter.IMG 2788 IMG 1993 UTV giant makes a very good light bar at affordable price.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
H

HondaTech

If your looking for the full drop in bed liner that covers the sides of the bed and the front its available in both a 49 state and California style.

I believe the only difference is the sticker on the liner with the weight capacity (CA is different).

Part number for the 49 state liner is:
0SP43-HL4-203

Honda also recently started making a carpeted bed mat too, part number: 0SP44-HL4-A50

Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Beautiful dogs!

View attachment 160193 View attachment 160192

++ on the stall mat from tractor supply. I made a 2-pc template from cardboard set it in back and taped it together. This worked very well. Also made floor mats for the front. Look like factory fitting all of the contours. I used 1/2” stall mat ( stuff is heavy) remains cool to the touch in the bed so the pooches don’t get hot feet

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
68244921 454748768710432 3378049481189621760 o

Thanks much for the thoughtful replies; it is much appreciated. I want to modify this machine only as much as I need to in order to accomplish my goals (50% ranch work, 50% recreational). My five German Shepherds are beyond important to me, and taking them with me anytime I ride is the only ride worth doing. They all fit in my Kubota, but my Kubota is slow and while top speed isn't important to me, I still need more than 23 MPH. When I "did the math", coming back to Honda was the only logical choice.

#1 - Bed big enough for five German Shepherds (eliminating Kawasaki, JD RSX and small Arctic Cat).
#2 - True on command fully locked 4x4 (eliminating Polaris, Can Am, P1KLE and larger Arctic Cat).
#3 - Automatic transmission (eliminating Yamaha YXZ).
#4 - Reliability (eliminating Polaris again).
#5 - Impressive power band (eliminating larger John Deere, Kubota and Yamaha Viking).

Despite so many great machines that are available today, the only one that meets all of my criteria is the Honda Pioneer 1000. With winter approaching fast, my first mod is the front windshield. I tried to drive it to my mailbox today (eight miles from my house) and it was just too cold and my eyes were watering so bad that I gave up just a few miles into the ride and went back for the Kubota. I'm debating going glass or plastic. I know that with my Kubota, when I hit muddy water it splashes up on the windshield and without the wiper with a built in sprayer for windshield wash, I wouldn't be able to see. I don't think you can use the wiper on the plastic windshield, but at the same time, I don't really want the additional weight or liability of glass. I'm probably over-thinking my options and would be pleased with either, but this is a decision I need to make soon. I doubt that I go full cab on it because when it goes sub-zero, I can just use the Kubota anyway.
Thanks again for the replies and advice.

Last edited:
advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
They do make wipers for plastic but they’ll still get scratched up. For overall use and abuse I really like the Honda glass shield, it fits great and is simple to take out which we do when hot. It really holds up good for us, we’ve broken every plastic one we’ve had.
Just did manual wipers for ease, nice even in the dust and mud to be able to see. There are some other good offerings out there.