P1000 Low Range or High Range Riding

M

mlhannah1

Apr 5, 2017
Chillicothe, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys, when I was at the Honda shop the guys at the service center told me that if I kept the machine in LOW range when trail riding, the clutches would never be a problem. But reading here alot of you guys ride in high range? Just wanted to see who does what and how many miles are on there machine.
Thanks!

Reactions: BWAF
DTAGG

DTAGG

Sep 11, 2015
ST GEORGE UTAH/ACCORD LAKES SEVIER COUNTY UTAH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys, when I was at the Honda shop the guys at the service center told me that if I kept the machine in LOW range when trail riding, the clutches would never be a problem. But reading here alot of you guys ride in high range? Just wanted to see who does what and how many miles are on there machine.
Thanks!
alway in high range and 2 wd. i only use low if in climbing and ascending hills. 4wd the same situation. also i use low if towing anything . 3500 miles , 25-27 mpg and zero issues .

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thanks!
Yeah people think low range is the solution to 4 the clutch problems actually it's high RPMs you need to keep that clutch engaged without slipping. Any range crawling around at low RPMs or stuck in thick mud hole trying to get the tire spinning will find clutch problems. Reverse is even worse.

Have you had the clutch update completed?

If you have then you have nothing to worry about Honda has pretty much fix the clutch issue. If you have a 2018 or better then you're all good.

If not scheduled with the dealer and get it done.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

M

mlhannah1

Apr 5, 2017
Chillicothe, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah people think low range is the solution to 4 the clutch problems actually it's high RPMs you need to keep that clutch engaged without slipping. Any range crawling around at low RPMs or stuck in thick mud hole trying to get the tire spinning will find clutch problems. Reverse is even worse.

If you have then you have nothing to worry about Honda has pretty much fix the clutch issue. If you have a 2018 or better then you're all good.

Yes I have the updated clutch kit, and the comfort kit. Just wanted to see who does what. I figured they were just telling me whatever they wanted to say about the clutches!

Thanks!

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I have 32s with the gear reduction on my SXS I always ride in low but I agree on the RPM thing. Do you think it would be ok with the bigger tire to ride in high or being the extra stress stay in low? Yes I have the clutch upgrade also.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I have 32s with the gear reduction on my SXS I always ride in low but I agree on the RPM thing. Do you think it would be ok with the bigger tire to ride in high or being the extra stress stay in low? Yes I have the clutch upgrade also.
The key is learning how to tell if its slipping. As long as the clutch is clamped your fine. Several guys running 30's have no issue in high.
Slipping, chattering, and rpm's with no wheel spin is causes them to over heat and then the fricrion plates break apart.

Reports of clurch issies after the update are almost none. And those that do. Are most likley dealer install errors or someone forcing slip somehow.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hi in sport mode in most trails open areas High deep mud and pulling low. If it's light you can even pull in high. I have over 3000 miles all up date's done.

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use low range quite a bit, I try to make it as EZ as I can on the machine. Besides when you stop to change gears no better time to pop open your favorite beverage and enjoy the view.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks!
Only time I run ours in high is any thing above 25 mph, like roads. Reverse is always in high.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ride in Hight mostly and on rocky trails. Sometimes I use sport in high if I am ascending a long hill with water breaks. if I am going into 4WD or towing then I put it in Low.

Reactions: Cuoutdoors and BWAF
advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes I have the updated clutch kit, and the comfort kit. Just wanted to see who does what. I figured they were just telling me whatever they wanted to say about the clutches!

Thanks!
Did they tell you to run in low even after the clutch upgrade??

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Only time I run ours in high is any thing above 25 mph, like roads. Reverse is always in high.
There is no high or low for reverse gear.

Reactions: adnoh
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
There is no high or low for reverse gear.
Correct, always on the high side, that's how I fried my first set of clutches, backing a log splinter up a long and step hill. I'm on my 3rd set of clutches and have 1,300 miles on Rooster. The last clutch fix is the real fix, I'm one happy camper now!

Reactions: WillyNilly
Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Casa Grande & Show Low Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Amazing some of these modern P-1000 have clutch problems. I have a 2002 Honda Rubicon ATV with that hydraulic auto trans with low or hi range, it's completely smooth, no sense of any type of 'gear change' while accelerating or back down. Can turn knob to use the electronic button shift on handlebar, but rarely do, always in auto mode. The Rubicon trans uses high pressure hydraulics and is as smooth as the finest CVT system out there without a belt. Back in 2002 Honda perfected this transmission, and it amazes me that about 14 years later, there are Honda auto trans clutch problems. But one thing about my Rubicon trans, is that to run it, it takes a fair amount of engine power. 16 years old, 4,200 miles and it still works flawless & smooth as the day it was new. I think the Rubicon auto transmission was a technical masterpiece!