PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I came from an old SXS with removable doors that I mostly left off and have never had windows nets and I am trying to get used to them. On one hand, they have kept twigs and things from slapping me in the face and I do feel a little safer with them but on the other hand, they are a bit claustrophobic (I am 6' 4") and they obstruct my view.

Has anyone experienced the same thing? I would like opinions, should I try to get used to them or remove them?

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I pulled them off on my pioneer 1000, after a few break in runs. They are nice like you said to keep the branches out of your face. With the talon I think I will keep them longer, I’ve had it on 2 wheels more times in 250 miles, more than I did in the other rig in 2k miles. My reasoning is to keep them, is unless you completely trust any and all passengers to never reach out for the ground in the worst case roll over accident, they will save someone’s limb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I pulled them off on my pioneer 1000, after a few break in runs. They are nice like you said to keep the branches out of your face. With the talon I think I will keep them longer, I’ve had it on 2 wheels more times in 250 miles, more than I did in the other rig in 2k miles. My reasoning is to keep them, is unless you completely trust any and all passengers to never reach out for the ground in the worst case roll over accident, they will save someone’s limb

I hear you on that, Never once have I even come close to rolling my Rhino (despite the Rhino's bad reputation) and I've done some pretty stupid things in it. I had the Talon on it's top when it only had 14 miles on it. Took a small jump at the dunes, snapped the right front knuckle upon landing, caught the sand and did a 1.5 somersault. I was only going about 15 MPH and jumped maybe 10 feet.

I think I will keep the nets for now :)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Personally I absolutely cannot stand those things. I’ve had 4 Honda’s and only the first one did they last one ride.
I do believe it’s a little safer usually and pulling them off would’t be my suggestion.

J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
I didn't mind the side nets at first. Later I started to want to look sideways more, and have more airflow too. So I folded them over diagonally. To do this I added a keychain ring to the plastic buckle which you normally latch after getting in and closing the door. The keychain ring allowed me to connect the small hook, which is near the back on the bottom edge, to the buckle area. I put a couple twists in the hook mounting strap, to encourage the big buckle to turn outward so it didn't rattle against the door.
Doing this made the nets a triangle shape covering the entire height of the window opening at the back, tapering to almost no coverage at the lower front of the window. This worked fine and I felt it still offered some protection.
Later on, I pulled the nets off the machine anyway. So I won't have a photo for you.

Reactions: Vikes79 and BWAF
MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I didn't mind the side nets at first. Later I started to want to look sideways more, and have more airflow too. So I folded them over diagonally. To do this I added a keychain ring to the plastic buckle which you normally latch after getting in and closing the door. The keychain ring allowed me to connect the small hook, which is near the back on the bottom edge, to the buckle area. I put a couple twists in the hook mounting strap, to encourage the big buckle to turn outward so it didn't rattle against the door.
Doing this made the nets a triangle shape covering the entire height of the window opening at the back, tapering to almost no coverage at the lower front of the window. This worked fine and I felt it still offered some protection.
Later on, I pulled the nets off the machine anyway. So I won't have a photo for you.
Mine came with hooks on the bottom to make the nets triangular. I tried them that way but it made it very hard to see when backing up in the trails. I also took them off.

Reactions: Vikes79 and BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My fronts came off right away ,but keep back rolled up .Put them down for the
kid if they ride with me Ac196dcacccb969d75e7d8946f4ea35f

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

advertisement
all4sho

all4sho

Apr 11, 2019
Byron, Ga
Ownership

1. Talon R
I took mine off after about 50 miles, seems like they were always in the way, and WOW it is totally different with them off

Reactions: Vikes79
Reds10

Reds10

Sep 20, 2018
Central arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
On my p500, I unbuckled the top. Rolled them down nice and tight, and used two of those rubber coated 24” twist tie things you can pick up at hardware stores.

They are completely out of my way, but are easy to deploy when a kid is riding or I’m going somewhere with lots of limbs and such.

I wrap the rubber coated ties around a roll bar and they don’t go anywhere when the nets are up.

I don’t know if this will work for you, but it has been a perfect solution for me.

Also-tailering at 70mph works great with the nets rolled down and tied.

R

Rogerpierce

Too
I came from an old SXS with removable doors that I mostly left off and have never had windows nets and I am trying to get used to them. On one hand, they have kept twigs and things from slapping me in the face and I do feel a little safer with them but on the other hand, they are a bit claustrophobic (I am 6' 4") and they obstruct my view.

Has anyone experienced the same thing? I would like opinions, should I try to get used to them or remov

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
On my p500, I unbuckled the top. Rolled them down nice and tight, and used two of those rubber coated 24” twist tie things you can pick up at hardware stores.

They are completely out of my way, but are easy to deploy when a kid is riding or I’m going somewhere with lots of limbs and such.

I wrap the rubber coated ties around a roll bar and they don’t go anywhere when the nets are up.

I don’t know if this will work for you, but it has been a perfect solution for me.

Also-tailering at 70mph works great with the nets rolled down and tied.
Unfortunately, this "Feature" is not provided on the Talon. The nets are BOLTED to the door in 2 places so there is no way to roll them up. It appears that Honda did not want them rolled up out of the way and give the user a choice (probably for liability reasons). You either have to use them (in full or "diagonal half" mode like JimmyTalon explains) or completely remove them. If you completely remove them then Honda is off the hook.

I have now removed them and will most likely never put them back on unless I can modify them to snap to the door so I can roll up like your 500. They are horrible the way they are.

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
I also removed mine.. I cut them off when I took delivery at the dealer before taking it home..

Reactions: JimmyTalon
C

carlsonjmc

Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Unfortunately, this "Feature" is not provided on the Talon. The nets are BOLTED to the door in 2 places so there is no way to roll them up. It appears that Honda did not want them rolled up out of the way and give the user a choice (probably for liability reasons). You either have to use them (in full or "diagonal half" mode like JimmyTalon explains) or completely remove them. If you completely remove them then Honda is off the hook.

I have now removed them and will most likely never put them back on unless I can modify them to snap to the door so I can roll up like your 500. They are horrible the way they are.

On the Talon I undo the rear strap loop, roll them up on top of the door and fasten them. I use them in the super tight trails for brush but undo the top so I can make hand signals for turning when portaging on roads at places like Hatfield-McCoy. On my 16 Pioneer 1000-5 I couldn’t get in comfortably with the nets the way they were mounted so I removed them and never looked back. 6’6” 285.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
I took those gay nets off before I even got it off the trailer from the dealer!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I keep my nets rolled up tight when I’m putting around my acreage.

Other wise they are used....especially with the kiddos.

As a former firefighter/ emr I can see the value of the nets.
I agree!

R

rickoshea

mine are always hooked up,it's non optional.i ride tight forest trails and get whacked in the helmet constantly because i can't run a roof,it would get trashed almost immediately.my rops looks like i slid a kilometer downhill inverted.my passenger side net already has a 2" hole in it from a branch getting caught.maybe if i let up on the loud pedal more..

Reactions: TripleB
advertisement