P1000 Long distance high speed run

LIVINTALL

LIVINTALL

Jan 26, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Are there any concerns with a 45-50 mile ride at a constant 45-50mph? Heat issues? I'm going to make my upcoming P1000-5 purchase street legal and want to use it to cruise around the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone this summer with the family. Most roads through there are 45 mph speed limit.

Reactions: sharp
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Shouldn't be too much of an issue. Depending on altitude and rate of climb you could run into an overheating issue. This can be remedied by a bigger radiator or bigger fan or potentially both depending on your situation.

Again, the key is Altitude, and Rate of climb.

I've been in that area and from what I've seen I think you'll be fine.

R

rickoshea

i did a high speed run last aug at about 3000m elevation doing an average of around 45 mph for at least an hour on a dirt road,some sections i had it wide open.funnest ride i've ever done,banging thru gears in manual and drifting every turn.absolutely zero issues whatsoever.temp bar stayed at 2 and never moved.

LIVINTALL

LIVINTALL

Jan 26, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Shouldn't be too much of an issue. Depending on altitude and rate of climb you could run into an overheating issue. This can be remedied by a bigger radiator or bigger fan or potentially both depending on your situation.

Again, the key is Altitude, and Rate of climb.

I've been in that area and from what I've seen I think you'll be fine.

I figured as much. It would screaming along at 5500 rpm but I wouldn't think that would be an issue. It's gonna be all on highway type driving. Mainly along the roads in the park.

LIVINTALL

LIVINTALL

Jan 26, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
i did a high speed run last aug at about 3000m elevation doing an average of around 45 mph for at least an hour on a dirt road,some sections i had it wide open.funnest ride i've ever done,banging thru gears in manual and drifting every turn.absolutely zero issues whatsoever.temp bar stayed at 2 and never moved.

So it sounds like just cruising at a constant speed should be just fine then

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
The only time I've ever seen any side by side or atv (that didn't have mechanical problems) overheat on the open road at speed was when I had mud in my radiator, and that was on a 500. If the radiator is clean you should be able to rip along until you run out of gas. as said before, altitude can affect that but I don't have experience riding at high altitude.

Reactions: LIVINTALL
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I figured as much. It would screaming along at 5500 rpm but I wouldn't think that would be an issue. It's gonna be all on highway type driving. Mainly along the roads in the park.

If you're just running along the valleys down by the lakes you'll be fine. I've ridden at high altitude several times and thats when overheating can occur. Roughly 6000 feet and above is where you'll want to pay closer attention. The radiator on the p1k is boarder line sufficient. Higher altitude can impact its cooling ability.

Further, the fan operation is in a very narrow temperature window. So when climbing at altitude it can come on when its likely too late and is not sufficient in getting it cooled back down.