P1000 Light Bar Electrical

daryladams

daryladams

Jul 20, 2018
Nashoba, OK
Ownership

1. 700-2
20200713 190001

I installed a 52' nilight light bar today. I have a dual battery setup and wired the light bar into the second fuse box with the radio. When I turn on the light bar, the radio loses voltage and does not play. It on its own rocker switch. What am I missing?

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How many amps is your rocker switch rated for?

Just going from memory
I think that lightl bar is 300 watts...300watts÷12 volts= 25 amps

You may need to wire the light directly to the battery, and use a 30 amp relay. The relay is a switch within a switch. When you activate the rocker, it will trigger the relay to send full power from the battery needed to the light. This assumes you have sufficient gauge wire for the current drawn.

If your switch is bordering right on the max current draw, it may very well work fine at the beginning, but fail to be able to maintain correct function with extended times.

One other thing.... Light bars with high current (amp draw) can cause magnetic fields that can interfere with radios and their proper function.

You may need to get them off the same circuit.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeyL and BBB
t-bear

t-bear

Nov 11, 2019
NE OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes. As stated above, you should be running your main LED power through a relay utilizing proper gauge wire (I use 14 awg for lights, fans, etc). That is the proper method.