P1000 LE Fox shocks vs Elka Stage 5

D

danmcph

Sep 10, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just bought a brand new LE and was thinking of pulling the shocks to sell and going with front and rear Elka stage 5.

How much better will the Elka's be compared to the Fox units? What am I gaining? I know that the Elka's have high and low speed compression plus rebound but I am not sure what the Fox units have other than 3 settings.

D

danmcph

Sep 10, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The reason why is because I ride a lot of dirt bikes. I have always focused on suspension before other mods because ultimately suspension is what matters in an area like Moab, which is where I ride.

If the Elka stage 5 are a large improvement, I will go that route.

I have a place in Moab, I ride in Moab and I hate having my kidneys feel like they are going to start bleeding from hitting square edged rocks 1,000 times in a day.

Moab will absolutely convince a person of the advantages of getting the best suspension you can. Suspension is what limits your speed and dictates your comfort.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am not sure of anyone that has started with Fox and went directly to Elka 5's.
@snuffnwhisky as well as @Smitty335 are running stage 5's if I recall correctly, might be worth a PM or conversation with either of them.

J

JTW

The reason why is because I ride a lot of dirt bikes. I have always focused on suspension before other mods because ultimately suspension is what matters in an area like Moab, which is where I ride.

If the Elka stage 5 are a large improvement, I will go that route.

I have a place in Moab, I ride in Moab and I hate having my kidneys feel like they are going to start bleeding from hitting square edged rocks 1,000 times in a day.

Moab will absolutely convince a person of the advantages of getting the best suspension you can. Suspension is what limits your speed and dictates your comfort.
I get what you’re saying.. but the issue is the limited travel restricting how much better you can get. It’s not a sport machine and can only get so far. I’ll be riding in Moab in a couple days. So I’ll let ya know how the Fox shocks do. As you well know.. it’s doesnt matter what shock you have if it’s not setup right.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I have replaced the stock shocks with Foxes and then sold them and upgraded to Elka 5's.
You get what you pay for there is about the same difference between the stock and Foxes as the Foxes and Elka's.

You can dial the Elka's in to your style of riding, the Foxes left me wanting half way in-between if you have the cash I would do it but I would not rob the kids college fund to have them.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just bought a brand new LE and was thinking of pulling the shocks to sell and going with front and rear Elka stage 5.

How much better will the Elka's be compared to the Fox units? What am I gaining? I know that the Elka's have high and low speed compression plus rebound but I am not sure what the Fox units have other than 3 settings.
I run my fox on the softest setting and love them. I used to race and the elka 5 will no doubt be better. I had them on a quad. It depends on how you ride if the extra comfort is worth the dollars. For the way I use my machine now the fox are a great fit and quick to change settings if needed. I didn't want to dick with settings all the time so I like that they're simple and very effective.

But if that amount of money were burning a hole in my pocket I'd get the stage 5s.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I run my fox on the softest setting and love them. I used to race and the elka 5 will no doubt be better. I had them on a quad. It depends on how you ride if the extra comfort is worth the dollars. For the way I use my machine now the fox are a great fit and quick to change settings if needed. I didn't want to dick with settings all the time so I like that they're simple and very effective.

But if that amount of money were burning a hole in my pocket I'd get the stage 5s.

Yea, I got the Stage 5's, takes a little of messing with them to get it right, but wow. I don't run a sway bar but with a touch of a screw driver you can adjust rebound and no tools required for low and high speed compression, but if your not into tinkering with shock adjustments, go with the Foxes!

advertisement
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yea, I got the Stage 5's, takes a little of messing with them to get it right, but wow. I don't run a sway bar but with a touch of a screw driver you can adjust rebound and no tools required for low and high speed compression, but if your not into tinkering with shock adjustments, go with the Foxes!

I don't mind tinkering to get them set up. I just do so many different things with my machine that the Fox are more user friendly and faster to change. I can click them to high and drive 20 miles to the farm then switch back to low. When I get the rest of my stuff bought off the list I may change the shocks.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I don't mind tinkering to get them set up. I just do so many different things with my machine that the Fox are more user friendly and faster to change. I can click them to high and drive 20 miles to the farm then switch back to low. When I get the rest of my stuff bought off the list I may change the shocks.

I totally understand, a P1 may not need anything more, due to frame, a arm and shock mounts. I don't go WFO much, but it's so much fun fun when I do! HA!

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I totally understand, a P1 may not need anything more, due to frame, a arm and shock mounts. I don't go WFO much, but it's so much fun fun when I do! HA!
Lol as far as I know WFO is the only way you ride.

Reactions: nbomar and BWAF
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Lol as far as I know WFO is the only way you ride.

Well? I have been accused of that! No proof yet! There cameras are slow!

Reactions: BWAF
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thoughts on Walker Evans for the PK5
Anything would be an improvement over the stock shocks, if you can call them that! I've got the Elka 5's, don't think you really need to spend that kinda money, unless you drive like I do, a lot of the guys on the site love the Foxes, really haven't heard a lot about the Walker Evans, which is weird????? You have to realize we don't have RZR's and will never have the suspension that they have, but after market shocks make a huge improvement!