P1000 Just in case anyone was wondering if it is possible....

jasontjames

jasontjames

Lifetime Member
Apr 28, 2016
Melissa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
to make a 2.5 hour project out of installing a bilge fan, it indeed is. The key to the process is to drop a 1/4" drive socket extension down into the bumper and get it lodged between the bumper and the underside of the winch mount. Take great care to make sure that the extension does not stop in place where you can easily retrieve it. That will just shorten the process and thus reduce to overall joy of the experience. I will warn you that this procedure requires a lot of mumbling and cursing under your breath, so make sure no children or lady folk are present. A bonus of this procedure is that you get the opportunity to clean out accumulated debris that has collected under the winch mount after you disassemble the bumper. If anyone needs a detailed write up on this project just shoot me a message and I'll be glad to help any way I can.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
If you are installing a bilge fan anywhere near the front bumper, or anywhere forward of the dash you're doing it wrong. UNLESS the Honda Winch install directions are involved, then I could see removing the front bumper, radiator, dash, and feeding the fan from the front end then back and under along the drive shaft opening, finally bolting to seat frame from underneath the machine. VS. Remove seat bottom, bolt metal strap to seat cross members then mount fan on strap under passenger side.

Nice story though Benny Hill theme music would fit right in. :D

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm surprised I haven't tried this mod yet. Great write up!!! Agreed, need pics!!

Revtech100

Revtech100

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2016
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
to make a 2.5 hour project out of installing a bilge fan, it indeed is. The key to the process is to drop a 1/4" drive socket extension down into the bumper and get it lodged between the bumper and the underside of the winch mount. Take great care to make sure that the extension does not stop in place where you can easily retrieve it. That will just shorten the process and thus reduce to overall joy of the experience. I will warn you that this procedure requires a lot of mumbling and cursing under your breath, so make sure no children or lady folk are present. A bonus of this procedure is that you get the opportunity to clean out accumulated debris that has collected under the winch mount after you disassemble the bumper. If anyone needs a detailed write up on this project just shoot me a message and I'll be glad to help any way I can.

Do you have a written procedure? Lol.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
If you are installing a bilge fan anywhere near the front bumper, or anywhere forward of the dash you're doing it wrong. UNLESS the Honda Winch install directions are involved, then I could see removing the front bumper, radiator, dash, and feeding the fan from the front end then back and under along the drive shaft opening, finally bolting to seat frame from underneath the machine. VS. Remove seat bottom, bolt metal strap to seat cross members then mount fan on strap under passenger side.

This is what I was thinking. But then again, I know how it is. Strange things happen.

jasontjames

jasontjames

Lifetime Member
Apr 28, 2016
Melissa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Wait....we aren't supposed to mount the bilge fan to the front bumper? I thought that idea was to blow all the heat off the machine.

cwalton

cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You made my day. I thought i was the only one this crap happened to.:)

Reactions: jasontjames
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Wait....we aren't supposed to mount the bilge fan to the front bumper? I thought that idea was to blow all the heat off the machine.
What do you think the skinny pedal on the right side is for? ;)

advertisement
CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
Sounds like its time to purchase one of those tool and part pickup magnets. They're on a little telescoping pole. They also make some on a flexible piece of wire like material that can be bent into shapes to get into hard to reach areas. They are total life savers.