Impressed new Pioneer owner in WI

T

The Wire

Jan 12, 2014
After months of research and then a couple delivery delays, I picked up my Red P4 on Friday just in time for a trip to my cabin in Crivitz, WI. During my research, I had some concerns about the Pioneer's low end power. The awesome users on this forum help me put those fears to rest. I also got a chance to test the P4's power for real this weekend. With 4 - 200lb+ adults on board, we headed to a snow covered trail up the side of a former ski hill. It was about a 0.5 mile trail with a rise of about 300 feet. Parts of the trail were quite a bit steeper than others. The Pioneer didn't skip a beat as it hauled us up to the top of the ski hill. We had a great view and could see for miles. I'd say I wasn't applying more than 1/2 throttle. Engine breaking worked great on the way down.

There are 100's of miles of ATV/UTV trails with access from our cabin and the town allows UTVs on the town roads. I've already started planning multiple excursions. The trails typically close during April for spring thaw, but I'm already ready itching to get out there.

At home before the maiden voyage to the cabin.
20140321 131441
20140321 131512

Looking up the ski hill.
20140323 122700

View from the top
Mount Tom panorama
20140322 151623

I have a couple questions regarding the gear shift lever and trailering, but I'll search the forums first. Looking forward to lots of riding with family, friends and the Pioneer!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Sweet views there.
Love the aluminum trailer. I been looking at a 18ft duel axle but not sure I can shake that kind of doe right now.

And WELCOME TO THE PIONEER OWNERS CLUB. Glad to have you hear and part of the community.

Here's your answers. (going to try to guess the questions. LOL)
Gear shift lever play - do not baby it. Jerk it into gear. I do not mean super hard jerk. Just don't slowly pull the leaver when changing gears because there seems to be enough play that if you pull it slowly, say from D to N, that the trans will remain in D when the leaver is actually in the N slot. It will get ease after some use and you get the hang of it. I do not even notice it anymore.
And
trailering with the roof - I do not have a hard top, but they say you can trailer it fine with the hard top on. Members have said they ran it at full speed 70+ MPH no issues.

How did I do?

T

The Wire

Jan 12, 2014
Hondasxs,

You nailed it pretty good. 2 things with shifting. One was what you described, there were times I put it from D to N but it stayed in drive. There were also times I could not get it from D to N or R. I wasn't jerking it, but significant pressure would not pull it out from D to N. Had to tap the gas and then it would release to N. I'm willing to give it sometime for me to get used to or to see if it loosens up. Does anyone else have the gear shift not wanting to move out of D?

I like the Aluma trailer. My old ATV trailer was 59.75" wide and the P4 is 60" wide. It was also pretty rusty and the solution to that was aluminum. I trailered the P4 with the top on at 70MPH speeds. It seemed to do well, however my 3.6L V6 Durango rarely went into overdrive and I was down to about 12MPG. It seemed like it was more drag than pulling my 6x11'x 6'H enclosed trailer. I was wondering if anyone did a test with the roof off vs on to see if the towing vehicle MPH improved?

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
If I'am on any sort of incline facing downhill or uphill or say against a snow mound or stone I have a hard time shifting mine out of either D or R . It seems that as long as when you stop and there's any pressure on the wheels drivetrain its hard to shift. I usually try the back up or go ahead a bit further to release any pressure on the drive train and then its OK to shift.Sort of a learning curve on doing that.

C

ckhenshaw4

Mar 1, 2014
Welcome, nice looking machine!!!

P

pauly

Club Contributor
Mar 25, 2014
Stetsonville, WI
Hey The Wire, maybe sometime we may run into each other. My place in just down the road east of the Four Seasons Resort in Pembine. The wife and I do alot of winter riding, I feel its the best riding time of the year. We ride the Dungood system and also head up to Florence and back too. Hit the Dusty Trails also but not as much in the winter.

T

The Wire

Jan 12, 2014
pauly said:
Hey The Wire, maybe sometime we may run into each other. My place in just down the road east of the Four Seasons Resort in Pembine. The wife and I do alot of winter riding, I feel its the best riding time of the year. We ride the Dungood system and also head up to Florence and back too. Hit the Dusty Trails also but not as much in the winter.

Pauly,
My cabin is 2 miles back in the woods west of Middle Inlet (4 miles North of Crivitz). The Dungood and Dusty Trails are on top of my list. I'm guessing they will be closed in April for the thaw. But I will be out as soon as there ready. Let me know if you would be interested in doing a ride this spring. Do you typically ride with your ATVs or Big Red?

Anyone else in Wisconsin or the UP interested in coordinating a ride this spring/summer?

T

The Wire

Jan 12, 2014
slowdryrider said:
If I'am on any sort of incline facing downhill or uphill or say against a snow mound or stone I have a hard time shifting mine out of either D or R . It seems that as long as when you stop and there's any pressure on the wheels drivetrain its hard to shift. I usually try the back up or go ahead a bit further to release any pressure on the drive train and then its OK to shift.Sort of a learning curve on doing that.

I've had my Pioneer on my property behind the house, widening my ATV trails to UTV width. In finding the trail tight spots, there was a lot of D to R transitions. The Pioneer often stayed in the previous gear when the lever was moved to N with a some resistance. Moving the machine a bit often caused it to release. However, it seems like pressing the brake, when the machine was already sitting still, when shifting made the shifts significantly easier and there was a lot less chance it didn't want to shift. Has anyone else noticed pressing the brake making things easier?

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
Wire ,I couldn't help but noticing your Aluma trailer. Is that a 7712H? I'm picking up the same trailer this weekend.How do you like it?

hurld

hurld

Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2014
ElkHunter how much did you pay for your trailer? There is a used 77"x123" Aluma near me for $2750. Seller claims only 200 miles on it. It does look like new. Is this a fair price?

advertisement
Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
Sounds kind of high. The trailer I will be purchasing is a new 7712H With 1 piece tailgate for $2,500 .If he has one with the Bi fold tailgate I decided I will get that one for $200 more so $2700 for a 7712HBT before tax. This is 2ft. longer than the one your looking at. Depends on the options it has. If it has the side rails and bifold tailgate spare tire then it is a good price.