Important info regarding clutch update program.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
So many questions about this update..... Going to try and answer a few dozen.
Chime in if you have more.

• It is not a "RECALL". It is a product update.
  • You are not required to get it. Yet it is recommended.
  • No need to rush your dealer without any current alpha clutch issues. You will be sent away!
  • Honda is the gatekeeper. Not your dealer.
  • Parts are limited and not available for private order just yet.
  • A letter in the mail does not mean you are "approved" for the update tomorrow.
  • No need to chase down the postman, you don't need a letter to get the update. But you do need a current clutch issue.
  • If you really need a letter to sleep at night, we can post one for you to print and put under your pillow.
  • Yes, you will have to take your machine to the dealer for them to complete the repair.
  • Yes you will have to wait until Honda approves your case.
  • Yes, this will take several days/weeks.
  • Yes it is free through warranty work.
  • Yes, soon you will be able to buy it outright in a few months once availability is better.
  • No, no improvements have been made to the clutches.
  • No, your clutch will not be replaced if it looks to be in OK condition.
  • Yes, your clutch will be replaced if it is in bad condition.
  • Yes, you can buy a new clutch and your dealer will gladly install it while they are in there unless they want to be a D and claim they can't combine Warranty work with private work.

So what's is being updated.

Update is for clutch oil flow and cooling. This new part changes the oil flow allowing for cooler and stronger condition for the alpha clutch to live.

Limited information is available from Honda but according to patents updates and dealer references we know heat is the cause of most all failures. When testing a set of aftermarket clutches we found that the alpha clutch were getting so hot it released the clutch fibers from their hold thus destroying them.

Intermediate issues are normally from poor voltage or trash in the system. This trash could or could not be from clutch fibers.

All in all. If you are not having issues. Drive it like you stole it and don't look back. No need to bombard your dealer with 100 questions. Many will just come here and read this back to you word for word.

By the way. You have until year 2020 to get it done.... I'd at least wait till my dealer knew what they were doing!

Me, think I'll wait for a possible updated clutch package to come out this spring before I get mine done! ;)

Good luck.

Last edited:

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So many questions about this update..... Going to try and answer a few dozen.
Chime in if you have more.

• It is not a "RECALL". It is a product update.
  • You are not required to get it. Yet it is recommended.
  • No need to rush your dealer without any current alpha clutch issues. You will be sent away!
  • Honda is the gatekeeper. Not your dealer.
  • Parts are limited and not available for private order just yet.
  • A letter in the mail does not mean you are "approved" for the update tomorrow.
  • No need to chase down the postman, you don't need a letter to get the update. But you do need a current clutch issue.
  • If you really need a letter to sleep at night, we can post one for you to print and put under your pillow.
  • Yes, you will have to take your machine to the dealer for them to complete the repair.
  • Yes you will have to wait until Honda approves your case.
  • Yes, this will take several days/weeks.
  • Yes it is free through warranty work.
  • Yes, soon you will be able to buy it outright in a few months once availability is better.
  • No, no improvements have been made to the clutches.
  • No, your clutch will not be replaced if it looks to be in OK condition.
  • Yes, your clutch will be replaced if it is in bad condition.
  • Yes, you can buy a new clutch and your dealer will gladly install it while they are in there unless they want to be a D and claim they can't combine Warranty work with private work.

So what's is being updated.

Update is for clutch oil flow and cooling. This new part changes the oil flow allowing for cooler and stronger condition for the alpha clutch to live.

Limited information is available from Honda but according to patents updates and dealer references we know heat is the cause of most all failures. When testing a set of aftermarket clutches we found that the alpha clutch were getting so hot it released the clutch fibers from their hold thus destroying them.

Intermediate issues are normally from poor voltage or trash in the system. This trash could or could not be from clutch fibers.

All in all. If you are not having issues. Drive it like you stole it and don't look back. No need to bombard your dealer with 100 questions. Many will just come here and read this back to you word for word.

By the way. You have until year 2020 to get it done.... I'd at least wait till my dealer knew what they were doing!

Me, think I'll wait for a possible updated clutch package to come out this spring before I get mine done! ;)

Good luck.
No doubt... the most terse, informative, and believable statement rendered on the clutch hooplah thus far... Thank you sir!!! I'm not experiencing clutch issues at the moment but I suspect I will. I'll kindly let others with current fails get their machines in working order before I request my fix. And thank you Honda for steppin up. It means a lot.

Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Sep 9, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the information.
I was debating calling dealership, mines a 2016, less than 100 miles, never seen mud so transmission and bolts spanking clean. (Hasn't rained enough here to put a puddle on the ground in over a month +) I checked it yesterday does not have update and I've dropped oil at 50 miles to check for debris. All's good and shifting great so I'll let her rip!

Hawkeye

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the information.
I was debating calling dealership, mines a 2016, less than 100 miles, never seen mud so transmission and bolts spanking clean. (Hasn't rained enough here to put a puddle on the ground in over a month +) I checked it yesterday does not have update and I've dropped oil at 50 miles to check for debris. All's good and shifting great so I'll let her rip!

Hawkeye
I think a pattern is emerging of what the problem is. Honda's actual clutch packs in their own right seem to be of a decent and somewhat competitive quality to withstand light to moderate use compared to other manufacturers on the market. There was just an oil cooling issue which has been resolved. They won't just die in the middle of an afternoon ride with the kiddos. But they won't hold up to extreme abuse either. If used carefully, the clutches might actually outlast premium machines' belt drives. Just be careful with them and let the mudders be mudders! A select group of owners will find that their Honda will serve them well. Just don't act like you're on a RZR!!!

Last edited:
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think a pattern is emerging of what the problem is. Honda's actual clutch packs in their own right seem to be of a decent and somewhat competitive quality to withstand light to moderate use compared to other manufacturers on the market. There was just an oil cooling issue which has been resolved. They won't just die in the middle of an afternoon ride with the kiddos. But they won't hold up to extreme abuse either. If used carefully, the clutches might actually outlast premium machines' belt drives. Just be careful with them and let the mudders be mudders! A select group of owners will find that their Honda will serve them well. Just don't act like you're on a RZR!!!
And then there's our riding group that kinda defies that logic although I do agree with it. Oversized tires and we love the hell out of deep mud. There really hasn't been one thing about these clutches that has held true for every machine. Failures with mud machines as well as pavement pounders. Failures with stock drivetrains as well as lifted big tired machines. A person could go nuts trying to figure it all out. 3k miles here and heading for nearest mud or creek crossing soon as the wife is healed.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
And then there's our riding group that kinda defies that logic although I do agree with it. Oversized tires and we love the hell out of deep mud. There really hasn't been one thing about these clutches that has held true for every machine. Failures with mud machines as well as pavement pounders. Failures with stock drivetrains as well as lifted big tired machines. A person could go nuts trying to figure it all out. 3k miles here and heading for nearest mud or creek crossing soon as the wife is healed.
You are obviously a driver who is in tune with his machine. So am I and many others. I just feel for the owners who don't "get it". Gotta have a little understanding of what's goin on in that case!

Reactions: sharp and Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You are obviously a driver who is in tune with his machine. So am I and many others. I just feel for the owners who don't "get it". Gotta have a little understanding of what's goin on in that case!
I agree. And it's sad it isn't a vehicle anybody can just jump in and go. I still stand by mine 100%. Wouldn't swap it for another for anything. I too feel for first timers new to Powersports that have been disappointed by the p1k.

Reactions: X4Dice and sharp
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
So...almost sounds like you're not 100% confident this will be the fix?
No, I'm fairly confident this will fix the issue.
If I was Honda.
I would be looking at improving fiber hold under extreme conditions for future machines.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:
advertisement
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I would probably wait myself.To see how it goes.
Unless my clutches failed or shuttered.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While at the dealer yesterday I told the dealer despite not having any issues now I want get the update asap as we ride a long way off the grid with children and if I can in anyway prevent being stranded due clutch failure I want the fix. He understood and said he'd put a call in. I know they'll get me in sooner or later so I'm not stressing over it. It would give me a little more confidence on the longer rides tho..

Reactions: sharp and DRAGFOOT
Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Sep 9, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Went into my service department about getting an appointment for the cab comfort system. Service department said they have had a run on those lately and getting the kit gonna take couple of weeks (he had a list of 6 ahead of me). Told him no problem just wanted to get on list. He brought up about the clutch update being just released. Ya I'd heard about it but thought Honda was taking care of problem machines first. He told me that they are getting after customer machines asap when parts are available. Next he asked me if I'd wanted it done same time as comfort kit. He's gonna give me a call when they have both kits.
I never asked if this was a make work deal or they thought the update was a must have before problem. Still wondering.:rolleyes:

Hawkeye

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Great @Hawkeye.
Sounds like you have a good dealer.
It's really all about the dealer when it comes to getting these upgrades. Are they customer focused or just there to sell something. A good dealer can work magic with Honda. Guaranteed!

Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Sep 9, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya I was a bit shocked that he wanted to update a machine "not" complaining of an issue. I did appreciate that he brought it up to me and I actually told him I wasn't worried I heard I was covered to 2020. He seemed confused by my statement and said we want to get these done. Told him put me on the list.

Ya this dealership, they are one of the top Goldwing dealers has the direct ear to Honda. At least that's what I've been told.;)

Hawkeye

chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great @Hawkeye.
Sounds like you have a good dealer.
It's really all about the dealer when it comes to getting these upgrades. Are they customer focused or just there to sell something. A good dealer can work magic with Honda. Guaranteed!
Without extended warranty would a bad clutch be replaced with the update?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
OOHHHH... And now the can of worms has been opened. Good luck Honda.
...yep things will get sticky. I think the official answer is no but there is some limited liability due the fix. Think it all will depend on dealer and rep would be my guess

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you didn't have the update performed until a clutch failure then yes.. it would have to be. So long as it was pre 2020.
What about the guinea pigs who have already spent hundreds on replacing burnt clutches? Are they just SOL? I'd be one p***ed off dude if I paid to have my clutches replaced.

Last edited:
advertisement