Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
For you guys that have done or experienced both, do you have a preference and why. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Have a TQL in the Talon, it's probably coming out this winter. It works fine but it binds often in reverse then let's go with a loud pop. Truth be told, I don't think I've ever been in a situation where it was needed vs i4wd. FWIW, I had one in my P5 and it worked great.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I haven't used both but I've ridden with two guys that have them. First guy has a little trouble pushing through turns and has to do an extra k-turn on occasion, no biggie.

The other guy's TL pops with such intensity that I swear he blew a CV joint into an alternate universe. :oops: I'm mechanically sympathetic and there's no way in Hades you're convincing me that that's ok, nope, no way.

Third guy, a member here and a pretty extreme rider bought a TL before he even got his Talon home and still hasn't put it in because the i4wd works so well.

4th guy has both a Pioneer and an i4wd Talon, he's an extreme rider, well into the insane spectrum - He rides in a large group including both Pioneers with locking diffs and i4wd Talons. There are just some places that you need a locker and the Pioneer with get to those places without abusing the equipment as much as the i4wd (if he wants to get to the same places ... and he does 😒).

Me - I'm happy with the i4wd in my Talon (14k miles) - although I know there will come a day when that extra little bit will bite me in the azz. :eek:

If you're a lunatic, nothing beats a locker.

Mudwisel

Mudwisel

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
Have a TQL in the Talon, it's probably coming out this winter. It works fine but it binds often in reverse then let's go with a loud pop. Truth be told, I don't think I've ever been in a situation where it was needed vs i4wd. FWIW, I had one in my P5 and it worked great.
Thanks

Reactions: Blownzuki
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
The other guy's TL pops with such intensity that I swear he blew a CV joint into an alternate universe. :oops: I'm mechanically sympathetic and there's no way in Hades you're convincing me that that's ok, nope, no way.
Ed Zachary!

Reactions: Blownzuki and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ed Zachary!
Is there any adjustment on the preload of those things? The gently tapered 'teeth' look to be ~3/16" deep, I just can't figure out how they could load up that bad without excessive preload.

Reactions: Blownzuki and 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
Is there any adjustment on the preload of those things? The gently tapered 'teeth' look to be ~3/16" deep, I just can't figure out how they could load up that bad without excessive preload.
No adjustment, I talked to Cora about it early on, wondered if the springs were not heavy enough.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Lunchbox lockers are known for making loud pops and bangs, it's what they do. The lighter the vehicle, the worse it is.

• Sad
Reactions: JNo323 and CID