P700 How useful are the paddle shifters?

S

Skibum_1260

Jul 8, 2020
Iowa
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Looking at buying a 700-4 soon and trying to figure out between the deluxe and standard models. For those of you who have the deluxe -how useful do you find the paddle shifters?
I feel like I would use them all the time especially on hills and technical terrain but curious from those who have them.

R

rickoshea

i have the 1000,and use mine every time i get in it.i'd think that with the 700 you'd use them every time as well,if you grew up riding dirtbikes and like to control your machines.if youdrive like granny,you won't even know they're there and won't miss them at all.

Last edited:
FeelinRecless

FeelinRecless

Lifetime Member
Jun 7, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
I use them quite often. Especially going down hill. And once the RPMs fall back in line, I goes back into auto on its own. And I am not sure how I would feel about not having power steering. I feel I was worth it.

03mossy

03mossy

Jun 20, 2018
MN
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
Paddle shifters are a must, as is the power steering. Don’t leave home or camp without it.

Agreed!! I went through this same thing and went with the Deluxe two weeks ago. Have 153 miles on it so far and am so glad I have those two features!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Prior to my new 2020, I would have said not very. My 2014 shifted consistently and spot on when I felt it should have. The only area where I can think I might have liked them is coasting into corners in 3rd gear (usually on smooth gravel roads) when the machine would downshift with a jerk when it really didn't need to.

My new 2020 has a whopping 22 miles, and has thus far shown a tendency to hold gears aggressively when it doesn't need to. I'm sure some miles will bring it around...but if Honda has maybe changed the shift maps or something, then I will be glad I got them.
And as others said, you get PS. I don't think the 700 needs PS, but it's nice to have.

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I guess I am opposite of the others so far. I have a couple hundred miles on my 700-2 deluxe and have yet to touch them except to verify they work. I could see me use them to keep a steady gear for very steep climbs or pulling my plows or something, but other than that I am fine with the machine shifting. Have had ATVs forever that will allow manual shifting and cant remember ever using those either :D

The power steering is sweet though!

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I guess I am opposite of the others so far. I have a couple hundred miles on my 700-2 deluxe and have yet to touch them except to verify they work. I could see me use them to keep a steady gear for very steep climbs or pulling my plows or something, but other than that I am fine with the machine shifting. Have had ATVs forever that will allow manual shifting and cant remember ever using those either :D

The power steering is sweet though!
I use auto 99% of the time but I'm glad I got the deluxe for the features , also it's nice to kick it up a gear when you want less engine noise just cruising around.

advertisement
S

Skibum_1260

Jul 8, 2020
Iowa
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thank you all for the info! I think I’m going to seek out a deluxe. Being able to control the shifting sounds like the way to go for me personally.

Reactions: Backwoods and CID
Trademark

Trademark

Jun 18, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have the base model and wouldn't buy it again. Trying to drive this thing through the woods with a drink in your hand and no power steering is a nightmare. And I have never liked the shift points as others have stated above (I also hate having only 3 gears but that's a different topic). I would go with the deluxe for sure so you can avoid these things.

Reactions: Backwoods
FeelinRecless

FeelinRecless

Lifetime Member
Jun 7, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
This machine could definitely use one more gear

Reactions: Backwoods
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The P1K may be different but I like the power steering more than the paddle shifters. I came from a Rhino and it had no power steering. If the 700 deluxe has paddle shifters and power steering like the 1000, I would definitely get the deluxe.