P1000 How to tie down in trailer

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Just about there. :)

What do you guys use/do to tie your P1000 into your trailers?

On my Rincon I always use 4 ratchet straps and tie into the foot pegs.

I have never tried to trailer anything this big before though. Do you guys use tire bonnets or ratchet straps?

Where do you hook on?

Thanks!

D

dillonhart

Jun 10, 2016
shreveport, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been trailering my P1k5 for the past few weeks and also am intrested in everyones reponse. So far it seems the biggest issue is the lack of parking brake, so getting the bike to not roll any has been the issue (rolling makes the straps loose, i have tried lots of straps). i am not a fan of using the winch as part of securing the bike to the trailer, but maybe im wrong.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use ratchet straps on the front bumper, and on the back I use one of those longer thick ratchet straps and hook it on one side of the trailer then around the hitch on the rig then to the other side if the trailer. Tire bonnets are good too.

vince

vince

Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2015
vidor texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
20160407 185729

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Cool!

Does it have a minimum tensile strength/strap width requirement? I need to buy fresh ones anyway, my wife left mine in the bed of the truck for a while and I didn't notice since she drives it all the time.

The momentum is building. I just emailed my wife and told her that should the Craigslist guy not actually flake out tonight and buys the Rincon, I was going to get a P1000.

Since she said that all she wanted for her birthday this year was for me to make up my mind and actually get a SXS, I bet she will hold me to it.

Reactions: 500

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
However, I must admit I do not follow these guidelines.
I anchor from the frame to the trailer frame. 2 rearward pulling forward and 2 forward pulling rearward. I prefer this method as it does not allow for motion whereas a more vertical tie down such as Honda's rec. squats your suspension more-so than it anchors your 1000 - rather you are relying more on the park feature for ant./post. movement and the straps keep the unit from bouncing vertically by suppressing the suspension. Who knows, I may be doing it wrong but it works great for me. I get zero forward/rearward motion.
Cool!

Does it have a minimum tensile strength/strap width requirement? I need to buy fresh ones anyway, my wife left mine in the bed of the truck for a while and I didn't notice since she drives it all the time.

The momentum is building. I just emailed my wife and told her that should the Craigslist guy not actually flake out tonight and buys the Rincon, I was going to get a P1000.

Since she said that all she wanted for her birthday this year was for me to make up my mind and actually get a SXS, I bet she will hold me to it.
No idea - I use (4) 1,100 pound straps with 3,300 pound break strength ea.

B

bigbuggy

Feb 27, 2016
Back Bay, New Brunswick, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I started using ratchet straps and the method shown in the manual, but found I would arrive at destination with loose straps.
I got the Erickson Tie -downs and wheel chocks (two sets for all four wheels) and now have no movement at all. They are quick and easy to install and remove.
Ordered mine at Costco.ca in Canada.

Screen Shot 2016 06 28 at 54401 PM

jasontjames

jasontjames

Lifetime Member
Apr 28, 2016
Melissa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tie mine down the way that is shown in the manual. I use ratchet straps that have a spring gate on the hooks. I was using the type with just s hooks and kept having straps come loose when on bumpy roads. Since I changed to the other straps, I have not had any problems with straps coming loose or losing tension on the straps. I also loop the winch around the pipe top on the front of the trailer. I do not put tension on the winch cable, but just use it as a "safety" should there be some catastrophic failure of my straps. Probably just more peace of mind than anything else.

All that being said, I would not mind switching to a tire bonnet system or the straps that are shown above. Even when I ratchet down the vehicle as much as I can, I still get movement backwards and forward. I can't imagine that is good on the tranny or the compression of the suspension to that extreme is good for the suspension.

advertisement
DTAGG

DTAGG

Sep 11, 2015
ST GEORGE UTAH/ACCORD LAKES SEVIER COUNTY UTAH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been trailering my P1k5 for the past few weeks and also am intrested in everyones reponse. So far it seems the biggest issue is the lack of parking brake, so getting the bike to not roll any has been the issue (rolling makes the straps loose, i have tried lots of straps). i am not a fan of using the winch as part of securing the bike to the trailer, but maybe im wrong.
i use the steel skid plate under the front frame with two ratchet straps and firmly seat the tires to the front rail of the trailer. and on the rear i use two more ratchet straps going from the trailer hitch holes where you could hook . so i have a 4 point strap down. zero roll. i have seen people strap down racks and other points deffrent from frame and as the suspension moves they can loosen and come un hooked. lots of lost straps on the roads. case in point. if you strap down to main frame let the body move freely . zero damage and zero strap marks on the bumpers.

Last edited:
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I started using ratchet straps and the method shown in the manual, but found I would arrive at destination with loose straps.
I got the Erickson Tie -downs and wheel chocks (two sets for all four wheels) and now have no movement at all. They are quick and easy to install and remove.
Ordered mine at Costco.ca in Canada.

View attachment 17606
I love the way this looks. Wonder if these would work well for a P1K-5? I would feel better if they had the straps around the sides like the tire bonnets do to make sure they can't slip off the top of the tire from a sudden jolt.

jasontjames

jasontjames

Lifetime Member
Apr 28, 2016
Melissa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i use the steel skid plate under the front frame with two ratchet straps and firmly seat the tires to the front rail of the trailer. and on the rear i use two more ratchet straps going from the trailer hitch holes where you could hook . so i have a 4 point strap down. zero roll. i have seen people strap down racks and other points deffrent from frame and as the suspension moves they can loosen and come un hooked. lots of lost straps on the roads. case in point. if you strap down to main frame let the body move freely . zero damage and zero strap marks on the bumpers.

I do not put my front wheels against the front rail of the trailer. I suppose that could help eliminate the movement back and forth. I also have the tow shackle show below that I keep on the vehicle. I could hook my straps to it and avoid using the ROPS as a tie down point.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
I use 4 axle straps with rings on both ends, I feed them through the spokes of my wheels. Then I use 4 short ratchet straps to D rings on my flatbed trailer.
I was out with my rock crawler and an old man told me never secure to the frame of a vehicle, attach at the axles or tires. He lost a $30k offroad jeep because he hit a bump on the highway and it caused the suspension to compress and that in turn let the hooks come undone.
After thinking it over and watching my rig bounce around while trailering, I can see this could easily happen.
20160405 192803 1

B

bigbuggy

Feb 27, 2016
Back Bay, New Brunswick, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I love the way this looks. Wonder if these would work well for a P1K-5? I would feel better if they had the straps around the sides like the tire bonnets do to make sure they can't slip off the top of the tire from a sudden jolt.

I use them on the P1K-5. They are 2" wide straps with heavy duty ratchets. Never had a problem with them.