P1000 How to get light scratches out of Honda plastic?

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I was installing my LED headlamps this evening on my new P1000. This envolved removing the entire front grille/fenders assembly. I thought I was being very careful while handling the removed pieces. After reinstalling the grille/fenders, I noticed some light scuffs/scratches on the green plastic that is directly above the center of the black grille. I must have had it resting on something that was a bit to abrasive. These scuffs, although light, really bug me!! There must be a way to get them buffed out or somewhat improved I would think? Any advice?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Unless you are building a show machine you will be wasting your time.

But really, I have had luck with a torch. Light heat will take the white out of some of the scratches.
But that is with the colored plastic, not the new "painted" plastic found on 2017's.
But, be warned. too much heat will discolor it a tad. and even more will melt it. Just a flash is about all I use unless it is deep.
There may be some chemicals that will work, but this has been my solution cleaning up older rigs.

Then, as a new owner who has never done it. I wouldn't follow my torch suggestion either. lol.
Got a older ATV to try it on first?

Deer-hunter

Deer-hunter

Feb 19, 2016
Effie,Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I was installing my LED headlamps this evening on my new P1000. This envolved removing the entire front grille/fenders assembly. I thought I was being very careful while handling the removed pieces. After reinstalling the grille/fenders, I noticed some light scuffs/scratches on the green plastic that is directly above the center of the black grille. I must have had it resting on something that was a bit to abrasive. These scuffs, although light, really bug me!! There must be a way to get them buffed out or somewhat improved I would think? Any advice?

View attachment 39336
There was someone that had covered theirs with a tarp to trailer it and it scuffed it all up. He has a write up in one of the threads on this site.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
Don't worry about those "Arizona Pinstripes". How do you get the gun powder burns off the hood from using it as a rest while shotting!

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 39336
It looks better with a few scuffs.

Reactions: GlockMeister
YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I've had decent luck in the past using WD-40 to hide small surface blemishes on plastic. It's just a quick fix and you'll have to do it again as the oil wears or washes off. True you'll eventually end up with a lot of scratches all over as you use it more, and you get used to it. But I understand the feeling when you scuff something brand new before it even hits the woods.

Reactions: Jshell3
J

Jshell3

Unless you are building a show machine you will be wasting your time.

But really, I have had luck with a torch. Light heat will take the white out of some of the scratches.
But that is with the colored plastic, not the new "painted" plastic found on 2017's.
But, be warned. too much heat will discolor it a tad. and even more will melt it. Just a flash is about all I use unless it is deep.
There may be some chemicals that will work, but this has been my solution cleaning up older rigs.

Then, as a new owner who has never done it. I wouldn't follow my torch suggestion either. lol.
Got a older ATV to try it on first?
I would completely screw that up.

USMCsilver

USMCsilver

Mar 15, 2017
US
Ownership

1. 700-4
It is a tool. Use it. :) <-- Obligitory smiley.

Sent via TapaTalk on S7 Edge.

Reactions: joeymt33 and sharp
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I use mud/dirt to cover them up, I didn't buy my machine to sit it the garage I bought it to ride. When it was new for the first few weeks I was washing it after ever ride,that got old fast as I ride mine almost every other day.
20170322 153750 zpsszmmktpc

ain't she purdie

advertisement
Peking_Duck

Peking_Duck

Jul 30, 2016
Clifton Forge, Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't think I have a square inch of plastic on mine that isn't shredded, my neighbors dog was to first to scratch mine up (day 1)...8 distinct claw scratches down the side of the door. The looks on the dog owners faces after it happened was hilarious.
Thankfully plastics are cheap. There are several posts in here about it.

Reactions: sharp
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That's an easy one.

The best way to get scratches out of the plastic is....................

to buy a second set of plastic!

One for riding and one for sitting and looking at.

Reactions: sharp