P1000 How necessary are skid plates?

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My wife and I are starting to lean pretty heavily towards getting a P1000.

My previous infatuation was with the Yamaha Wolverine which comes from the factory with a full length skid plate so I haven't actually researched anything about how necessary these are.

I know I need CV guards for driving in the woods, I have had them on my Rincon since I bought it and I know it has deflect several boot tearing sticks from doing damage.

I haven't ever had anything skid plate wise on the Rincon though. Just the factory plastic guards and I haven't ever had a problem. I don't really do any rock crawling or any type of extreme stuff. Just woods trail riding and such.

How necessary are skid plates on the P1000?

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

My previous infatuation was with the Yamaha Wolverine which comes from the factory with a full length skid plate so I haven't actually researched anything about how necessary these are.

I know I need CV guards for driving in the woods, I have had them on my Rincon since I bought it and I know it has deflect several boot tearing sticks from doing damage.

I haven't ever had anything skid plate wise on the Rincon though. Just the factory plastic guards and I haven't ever had a problem. I don't really do any rock crawling or any type of extreme stuff. Just woods trail riding and such.

Not that necessary if our not going in the rocks. But the factory skids won't stop a stick from coming up threw floor board.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Not that necessary if our not going in the rocks. But the factory skids won't stop a stick from coming up threw floor board.

Can you just get guards for the floor boards or are you pretty much stuck getting the entire machine fitted out?

Thanks!

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can you just get guards for the floor boards or are you pretty much stuck getting the entire machine fitted out?

Thanks!
Not sure on that. If you where to get with the guys that build the Aluim ones you may be able get just the sides. The OEM skid only covers the center frame both sides are left open. My opinion if you get the sides just asson get middle too. The OEM skid don't protect much

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
T

taylorman

Jun 19, 2016
Lafayette La
SS_fabrication is a seller on eBay that has a pretty good deal. He sells an entire skid plate, 3/16 alum plus front and rear a arm guards all powdercoated your color choice for $750 shipped. I'm about to order one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R

If you haven't had anything on the Rincon bottom and survived this long you will be just fine stock on any new Honda you buy. I don't have a 1000 but have put the 700-4 through a lot of woods, sand, blacktop and rocks at Turkey Bay in Kentucky. Yup a dent or two in the bottom side and the plastics are scraped and warped. I like to ride and haven't lost any memories because I was worried about a machine. I'm gonna make some memories this week and can't wait for the weekend. Good luck on finding the right sxs. I'm gonna wear one out then go buy another one while people worry about what to buy. Just do it. Oh wait that's a Nike thing. Best wishes Crow_Hunter.

Reactions: cwalton
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
These little dents happened on my first day out.

62f7b1146462265d9e14dd2440e49c22

Cb82b1491839dd56abc172327406f533

Now I don't have to worry about it. This Trail Armor takes a beating.

00beeb526ef4654d1d99964ec91c651b

D8f4a144ddef81c12106c051bdef2e82