CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Beat by DG Rider while I was looking fer this picture.

In Honda's infinite wisdom, the hour meter runs any time the key is on whether the motor is running or not. This is why I added a motorcycle hour meter so I'd know engine hours not key hours. Honda engineering idjits. :rolleyes:

The lead is 'just' long enough to run down the tunnel to the front plug on a Talon.

advertisement
Stateboy

Stateboy

Lifetime Member
Apr 5, 2021
Wolverine, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why would you have the key on if accessories run off an isolated second battery (in most wiring scenarios)? The only time I would see having the key in the on position (besides riding), would be to check the hours and miles because I forgot to when it was running.

Also, the hour meter is going to run at a steady speed no matter how the machine is driven. The meter is affected by electrical input (12 volts), not the operator's driving habits. It's not like warp speeds are available to affect the time/speed continuum anyway.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

Also, the hour meter is going to run at a steady speed no matter how the machine is driven. The meter is affected by electrical input (12 volts),..
My aftermarket hour meter runs off the spark plug lead, so 20,000 volts. :p I have no idea how it works. 🤔

Stateboy

Stateboy

Lifetime Member
Apr 5, 2021
Wolverine, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My aftermarket hour meter runs off the spark plug lead, so 20,000 volts. I have no idea how it works.
I bought one of those for my generator. They're great. It runs off the electrical impulse charge travelling through the spark plug wire and calculates the rpms based on if it's for a two or four stoke model (when rpms are measured). The electrical impulse also activates the clock to measure time when it's an hour meter. And, yeah, it's a 20,000 volt impulse (or whatever the magneto or ignition coil is set to generate).

Reactions: Lady01 and CID
advertisement