P500 Honda winch wiring harness

C

cccan

Nov 8, 2016
edmonton
Ownership

1. 500
do I need the Honda winch wiring harness if I use a superwinch rather than the warn winch....do I really need it for either winch? What is the benefit of using the sub harness?..very new to the pioneer world so I apologize if the question has been answered before...thanks Cam from Canada.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
do I need the Honda winch wiring harness if I use a superwinch rather than the warn winch....do I really need it for either winch? What is the benefit of using the sub harness?..very new to the pioneer world so I apologize if the question has been answered before...thanks Cam from Canada.
Welcome from Middle TN! You don't need a wiring harness. You can use a fuse block to wire the winch to the battery. This is what I purchased https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Systems-Blade-Fuse-Blocks/dp/B000THQ0CQ?tag=sxsweb24-20

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
If you buy the superwinch kit, you don't need to buy another winch harness. The kit comes with the wiring. The only other thing I would recommend is buying the Honda accessory harness, which is about $10. It will give you fused, key-on power which you will need to wire up the winch. It's a simple install, and there are a couple threads on here about it. Search "superwinch" and you will find some.

Reactions: trigger and JTW
Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
The only harness I used was the $9 one that makes it easier to wire into the accessories switched power. You could just wire into the cigarette lighter but the harness makes it MUCH easier. I went with a superwinch as well. Everything else comes in the box with the winch. Power cables were too short as well so I had to get longer ones.

Reactions: JTW
monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
Quick basic question - from what I can tell the wiring harness gives you several switched power leads. Would that be good for hooking up light bars as well as a winch?

RydeAK

RydeAK

Aug 20, 2016
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
That is how I intend to use the harness. I always wire lights through a relay, where all you need is a 12V "signal" connected to your light switch. The signal activates the relay and turns on the lights. I say all of this because I doubt the accessory harness is meant to directly power any big loads.