H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Some pictures from the Vegas to Reno Race. Still developing the Race Car. The Baja Race is next.

V3
Ve o
Ve2 o
Ve6 o
Ve08 o
Vegas to Reno1
VegastoReno
VegastoReno5

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
So badass. More details please!!! What remains of a stock talon? Anything? Also, they appear to be stretched? If so, how much? I friggin love it!!!!!!

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Same engine and drive train. We should get improvements from what they learn in the future. All of the competitive desert race UTV's have around $10,000 to $20,000 in improvements. Frame gussets, roll cage, long travel suspension, large tires, radiator relocation in the back, large fuel cell, race seats, etc. This testing was in May. I want one.

J

JTW

Same engine and drive train. We should get improvements from what they learn in the future. All of the competitive desert race UTV's have around $10,000 to $20,000 in improvements. Frame gussets, roll cage, long travel suspension, large tires, radiator relocation in the back, large fuel cell, race seats, etc. This testing was in May. I want one.

4DB27E8F 2D3E 41FE AD04 D69F3F79D6FE

H

HondaTech

There's more than $20k in the chassis id bet.

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
As I said in another thread, I didn't expect them to win right out of the box, BUT I did expect them to be consistent finishers, and that has really not been the case. I know off road racing is grueling and unforgiving, I get all that, but for a factory effort they need to step it up IMHO. That video from Barstow doesn't show the car for the long stretches of whoops that are there, but you can plainly see the rear bucking, and is unsettled. The front is working pretty good.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
They will get the reliability problem fixed but it may take awhile. I hired one rider to help me develop the Team Honda trials bikes in the 70's. The next year Honda contracted 3 more riders and Honda won the National championship the next 3 years. The desert racing is way more difficult to get good reliability. The factory Polaris and Can-Am teams are still have mechanical breakdowns after several years of development. With 10 to 20 factory race teams you only need a few to finish without problems. You have to be lucky too but the fast pace especially in the dust will cause crash damage. The Kawasaki's did good to finish and probably with some small improvements. To do well you need lots of experience and also a lot of pre running. I think both the Talon drivers are champion race track drivers. Doing a lot of pre running will help a lot. I expect the Can-Am and Polaris teams will be winning for a few years. 2017 Polaris Race Team.

2017 polaris racing team

Last edited:
advertisement
H

HondaTech

We've been told California wants to race as much as possible in as many disciplines as possible. But Japan is being stingy.

Last edited:

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
They will get the reliability problem fixed but it may take awhile. I hired one rider to help me develop the Team Honda trials bikes in the 70's. The next year Honda contracted 3 more riders and Honda won the National championship the next 3 years. The desert racing is way more difficult to get good reliability. The factory Polaris and Can-Am teams are still have mechanical breakdowns after several years of development. With 10 to 20 factory race teams you only need a few to finish without problems. You have to be lucky too but the fast pace especially in the dust will cause crash damage. The Kawasaki's did good to finish and probably with some small improvements. To do well you need lots of experience and also a lot of pre running. I think both the Talon drivers are champion race track drivers. Doing a lot of pre running will help a lot. I expect the Can-Am and Polaris teams will be winning for a few years. 2017 Polaris Race Team.

View attachment 220577
Bob, were you involved with Marty Smith back in the day? It's a shame the way he passed away.

• Sad
Reactions: CID
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
As I said in another thread, I didn't expect them to win right out of the box, BUT I did expect them to be consistent finishers, and that has really not been the case. I know off road racing is grueling and unforgiving, I get all that, but for a factory effort they need to step it up IMHO. That video from Barstow doesn't show the car for the long stretches of whoops that are there, but you can plainly see the rear bucking, and is unsettled. The front is working pretty good.

If they would get good experienced desert racers instead of aspiring social media influencers that play with everything but what Honda is setting them up for would help. Must be nice to be rich kids that can take a factory ride and not GAF on Instagram and YouTube.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
So badass. More details please!!! What remains of a stock talon? Anything? Also, they appear to be stretched? If so, how much? I friggin love it!!!!!!
Pretty sure they are about 77" wide and 130" WB. Probably around $100k per car with some spare suspension parts. About the only Talon left is some plastic pieces, engine/transmission case and maybe the diffs.

Reactions: Adam490
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
If they would get good experienced desert racers instead of aspiring social media influencers that play with everything but what Honda is setting them up for would help. Must be nice to be rich kids that can take a factory ride and not GAF on Instagram and YouTube.
My thoughts exactly. After watching the above video, I was thoroughly unimpressed with that young man - nothing more than an entitled attention whore.
When did Marty Smith die, of what?
Marty and his wife were both killed in a SxS crash, his two passengers survived. To the best of my knowledge Marty and his wife weren't strapped in, the two passengers were.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

That f***ing retard couldn't out drive my mom in a grocery store parking lot. Put somebody in the car that actually knows what they're doing. I'm no Ricky Carmichael but I whipped a lot of spoiled rich kids with my stock honda dirt bikes. Experience can overcome a significant sum of money. Evidence: KRX guy whipping hondas ass.

I feel bad for the people that have to work with those little snot nose punks.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That f***ing retard couldn't out drive my mom in a grocery store parking lot. Put somebody in the car that actually knows what they're doing. I'm no Ricky Carmichael but I whipped a lot of spoiled rich kids with my stock honda dirt bikes. Experience can overcome a significant sum of money. Evidence: KRX guy whipping hondas ass.

I feel bad for the people that have to work with those little snot nose punks.
@JTW are you going to let him get away with talking smack about the KRX like that?

advertisement