P500 Honda Pioneer 500 and a larger driver

L

Lenny

Oct 16, 2015
Ownership

1. 520
I want to buy a honda Pioneer 500 but my friends say I'm too big for it. I'm 6-2 and weigh 270. When I sit in one at the showroom the fit seems borderline. I think I could make it work.However sitting in one at the showroom for a few minutes doesn't tell me what it is actually like to own and drive one for a long period of time. All input from large owners in particular is most welcome. Thank you

sajnaj

sajnaj

Jul 5, 2015
clinton indiana
my buddy purchased one hes 5 10 and 250 and im 6 3 280 we both fit in the machine with no problems

Reactions: Lenny
L

Lenny

Oct 16, 2015
Ownership

1. 520
thank you guys. I feel better about it,I told those friends of mine I am not that big

J

jay dawge

Oct 6, 2015
If you are still unsure, check out all the atv clubs in your area see if you can find one that has a p500 owner that you can go on a ride along with, get a feel for the machine. The dealership I bought from has rides that they do three times a year.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I want to buy a honda Pioneer 500 but my friends say I'm too big for it. I'm 6-2 and weigh 270. When I sit in one at the showroom the fit seems borderline. I think I could make it work.However sitting in one at the showroom for a few minutes doesn't tell me what it is actually like to own and drive one for a long period of time. All input from large owners in particular is most welcome. Thank you
As others stated not a problem in your body size I am 6' 1" and 300# the wife and I spent a week of riding in our P500 for about 300 miles in the smokey mountains without me having any issues. Once you learn how to place your foot as a taller driver it works fine my weight / girth wasn't an issue just learning foot placement for controlled throttle response in rough terrain. I figured that out in about 1/2 a day riding.

L

Lenny

Oct 16, 2015
Ownership

1. 520
Foot placement was my concern, With the bench seat i can lean my right leg to the right and I a m comfortable. Every thing else seems to fit ok.Glad to see other big guys are happy woth the P500.

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
Well, I'm 6'2", weigh over 300lbs, and wear size 14 shoes. I have driven mine as a daily driver since June, with the last month or so wearing winter clothing. I have no comfort issues riding or driving the P500. The ONLY issue is the side loop of the ROPS by my left hip. My gun/holster sometimes snags on it when entering/exiting the vehicle. However, I have had similar problems on a lot of other full-size cars & trucks. The P500 was the easiest 50" machine to enter/exit that I could find in the showrooms visited, and was easier than many of the 60" machines. If your friends are worried about it not having enough power to move your "bulk", I counter with I am bigger, and seldom ride alone. My primary passengers, while smaller than me, are not shrinking violets. The ones I have logged the most cab time with are both over 6'/200lbs. We have been riding trails in the AK mountains for 5 months, and I have never felt like I was lacking for power.

L

Lenny

Oct 16, 2015
Ownership

1. 520
Well, I'm 6'2", weigh over 300lbs, and wear size 14 shoes. I have driven mine as a daily driver since June, with the last month or so wearing winter clothing. I have no comfort issues riding or driving the P500. The ONLY issue is the side loop of the ROPS by my left hip. My gun/holster sometimes snags on it when entering/exiting the vehicle. However, I have had similar problems on a lot of other full-size cars & trucks. The P500 was the easiest 50" machine to enter/exit that I could find in the showrooms visited, and was easier than many of the 60" machines. If your friends are worried about it not having enough power to move your "bulk", I counter with I am bigger, and seldom ride alone. My primary passengers, while smaller than me, are not shrinking violets. The ones I have logged the most cab time with are both over 6'/200lbs. We have been riding trails in the AK mountains for 5 months, and I have never felt like I was lacking for power.
Sound good.If it can handle you and your friends it will handle me and mine.Thank you for your input.

advertisement
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

6'2" , 254 lbs in 2014, 204 lbs - 2015. No problems. Definitely trimming 50 lbs helped me to get rid of lower back pain and get back on long trip moto rides ( I also switched from HD to BMW 1600 gtl, riding a cloud :) ) and skiing.