Honda Horn Kit?

D

digbydog

Jun 22, 2015
Downeast Maine
Just purchased the Honda Horn kit with the accessory sub harness.....cannot figure out what Honda is talking about when they say to attach the supplied horn switch plugs (2 of them) into the harness.....cannot see a spot to plug in the switch plugs, there are no connectors for the switch! Anyone installed this option? Called Honda and they were of NO help........

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
unplug the 12v accessory port under the dash and remove the @18" harness.

The Honda Sub harness plugs in, in its place and the horn kit connects to it.

D

digbydog

Jun 22, 2015
Downeast Maine
unplug the 12v accessory port under the dash and remove the @18" harness.

The Honda Sub harness plugs in, in its place and the horn kit connects to it.
Oh NO NO NO !!!! Not so fast! I DID purchase the $5.95 accessory sub harness and connected it to the main harness AND the 12v accessory port, that leaves 2 plug ins for the horn sub harness and ONE plug in for the future back up alarm.........In the 2 plug ins on this SAME harness goes the horn sub harness and the other end of this harness (2 plug ins) connects the actual HORN.......so WHERE does the 2 ports for the horn SWITCH plug in ??????? There are NO other plugs in available for it...... Called Honda- NO answer....Has anyone ACTUALLY installed this Honda horn kit? Thanks-

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Should be like this.
Untitled 1

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I see... The instructions for the 700 horn seem to be missing some details.

What if you wired it like the 500 kit.
Untitled 1

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Let me know if this might work. I will add that info the the 700 horn instructions.

D

digbydog

Jun 22, 2015
Downeast Maine
The instructions for the 500 are not the same for the 700 and it will not work......I have read, re-read and re re re-read the instructions so I am quite familiar with them.....I have called Honda, they were useless as it is just a call center!---- Nobody seems to know the answer, not my purchasing dealer either.....I think the mistake is on page 4 of the instructions, step number 10. It says: connect the horn sub assembly to the accessory sub harness with two bulb connections." By doing this, there are NO available connections for the actual horn switch which requires TWO connections..... Tomorrow, when it is daylight, I will try to connect only ONE bulb connection then try to loop in the switch......it is not color coordinated like the other connections unfortunately..... One connection on the actual switch is red and the other is blue....all the other connections are at least color coordinated.... The diagram is also the worst I have ever seen....BAD BAD BAD Honda! Shame on the tech support or lack thereof too! Are you LISTENING or reading??????

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya. I know it's not the same.
I wanted to show how the switch is wired "in line" and would not actually require another plug. I have not seen this kit personally.

I ask. If/when u find a solution to provide the details for other members.

Honda has even removed the horn instructions from there site for the P700.

Sorry I have not been able to help.

advertisement
D

digbydog

Jun 22, 2015
Downeast Maine
Ya. I know it's not the same.
I wanted to show how the switch is wired "in line" and would not actually require another plug. I have not seen this kit personally.

I ask. If/when u find a solution to provide the details for other members.

Honda has even removed the horn instructions from there site for the P700.

Sorry I have not been able to help.
Thanks for the quick reply! Appreciate that! Surprised that Honda has removed the instructions because I DID speak to an "understanding" person in the call center just yesterday....he review the instructions with me while I was on the phone and I think he saw the wiring glitch but could not help....perhaps he had something to do with that! I am pretty mechanical and have assembled paper airplanes with better instructions that this horn kit...I am SERIOUS! I have noted that MOST Honda accessory instructions leave a LOT to be desired! Case in point: I recently purchased the Honda front and rear A-arm guards, when installed according to the instructions they were loose and wobbly......to fit the way I FEEL they should I needed to bend ALL the brackets in my vise to snug the fit..... My Honda split windshield was the SAME way....loose loose loose when in the vented mode, I found installing stainless washers made it fit a LOT better....Perhaps aftermarket is the way to go when possible.......disappointing! I am a BIG Honda advocate, own many Honda products, mower, 2 auto's, tiller, etc etc......but this problem takes the cake!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya. @digbydog
I just want to make sure I understand you fully... As I'm sure we will get this question again and I would like to have a solution.

So.. The following layout will not work?
Untitled 1

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Sorry to ask again. I just want to make sure.
It sucks this is being such a difficult issue.
Thanks so much for your time on this.

Just so you know. Honda hires a 3rd party company to design these accessories. Found that out when we had the heater re-design issue last year.

D

digbydog

Jun 22, 2015
Downeast Maine
Ya. @digbydog
I just want to make sure I understand you as well for when I we get asked again.

So.. The following layout will not work?
View attachment 5836
THAT is the way I think it should work but that is NOT the way Honda says to connect in the instructions (page # 4 of 5 and step # 10 & #11 which are quite ambiguous........I will try your diagram tomorrow.....I took the whole damn wiring OUT of the machine and have it on my chair side table....I have untaped and re-taped EVERY connection in hopes that Honda had buried the connectors which they did not! The diagram makes no sense and has arrows pointing to things which do not exist so on my own intuition I decided to manipulate the plug-ins and I came up with exactly what you suggested......I'll plug it all in tomorrow for about the 5th time.....I'm getting quite good and getting my hands back in the front compartment to disconnect/reconnect the 12v accessory plug-in.....it's quite a tight fit and awkward!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ok.. Great. So there is hope that will work like above.
Get a test light after it before you hook the horn up. Hate to fry it with reverse polarity or something.
If it works. I will redesign my drawing for future questions. lol.

Thanks.

D

digbydog

Jun 22, 2015
Downeast Maine
THAT is the way I think it should work but that is NOT the way Honda says to connect in the instructions (page # 4 of 5 and step # 10 & #11 which are quite ambiguous........I will try your diagram tomorrow.....I took the whole damn wiring OUT of the machine and have it on my chair side table....I have untaped and re-taped EVERY connection in hopes that Honda had buried the connectors which they did not! The diagram makes no sense and has arrows pointing to things which do not exist so on my own intuition I decided to manipulate the plug-ins and I came up with exactly what you suggested......I'll plug it all in tomorrow for about the 5th time.....I'm getting quite good and getting my hands back in the front compartment to disconnect/reconnect the 12v accessory plug-in.....it's quite a tight fit and awkward!

I want to buy a LED light bar and winch next, I do NOT think I will buy the Honda brands nor fiddle with the $269 wiring accessory kit!

D

digbydog

Jun 22, 2015
Downeast Maine
Ok.. Great. So there is hope that will work like above.
Get a test light after it before you hook the horn up. Hate to fry it with reverse polarity or something.
If it works. I will redesign my drawing for future questions. lol.

Thanks.
Your welcome! IF it does work, the connections Honda states in step #10 is INCORRECT! I am AMAZED that NOBODY has chimed in that has ACTUALLY installed this option! Guess NOBODY feels the need to blow the horn !

Reactions: bobbyhill
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yep.. Many of us chose to NOT go the Honda switch route. Some of use even took our custom jobs overboard with a 12+ switch panel. lol. Really, why do you need 12+ switches. hahah.. But those guys have there rigs decked out like crazy. Love it.

advertisement