P1000 Honda Extended Warranty

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Is this an actual Warranty or an extended service plan?

I ask this because people have touted the Yamaha Y.E.S. plan but when you read the documentation it is actually a service plan not a warranty.

Reading the about the Honda plan, it looks to be an actual extended warranty.

Can anyone confirm?

Upstatefreedom

Upstatefreedom

May 25, 2016
Colton,New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I ask this because people have touted the Yamaha Y.E.S. plan but when you read the documentation it is actually a service plan not a warranty.

Can anyone confirm?
The extended warranty is supposed to cover the same components as the factory one year warranty. If you purchase it within the first year you get three years added to the original factory coverage. I usually don't get any extended warranties but am thinking I will for my P1K3. CP had a estimate for repairs on his that scared the bajesus out of me. Lol. Hopefully never need it. But it will be a good piece of mind having it. And it's only like $550.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The extended warranty is supposed to cover the same components as the factory one year warranty. If you purchase it within the first year you get three years added to the original factory coverage. I usually don't get any extended warranties but am thinking I will for my P1K3. CP had a estimate for repairs on his that scared the bajesus out of me. Lol. Hopefully never need it. But it will be a good piece of mind having it. And it's only like $550.

I never purchase extended warranties either but being this is a relatively new design, if there are some gremlins that show up at a later time, I would rather have them covered.

However, if it is just an extended service plan, like the YES plan, I don't want it at all.

If you read the details, it isn't really the same as a warranty.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Can anyone confirm?
Good question.
I am curious as well.
Where I purchased mine, they have their own warranty they provide which covers more than the OEM warranty according to what I was shown. I was skeptical - I may or may not go that route, but I do have a while to think about it.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Good question.
I am curious as well.
Where I purchased mine, they have their own warranty they provide which covers more than the OEM warranty according to what I was shown. I was skeptical - I may or may not go that route, but I do have a while to think about it.

If you read the YES plan documents, you have to either have it serviced at a dealer and they have to write something in a service book or you have to keep all your receipts to prove that you followed the recommended service intervals and only then they might cover it if it doesn't fall in the very large number of exclusions. I did this research when I was trying to decide whether to get the free winch or the free YES plan on the Wolverine. (The winch was by far the better deal)

I don't mind having exclusions at all for things that I have done to it. And I don't expect the warranty to cover tires or other wearing items. I wouldn't expect a warranty to cover it if I did something to it that caused the failure, but I do expect the warranty to cover things that are obviously manufacturer/design defects and I get the impression that most extended service contracts don't or they try to weasel out of it.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you read the YES plan documents, you have to either have it serviced at a dealer and they have to write something in a service book or you have to keep all your receipts to prove that you followed the recommended service intervals and only then they might cover it if it doesn't fall in the very large number of exclusions. I did this research when I was trying to decide whether to get the free winch or the free YES plan on the Wolverine. (The winch was by far the better deal)

I don't mind having exclusions at all for things that I have done to it. And I don't expect the warranty to cover tires or other wearing items. I wouldn't expect a warranty to cover it if I did something to it that caused the failure, but I do expect the warranty to cover things that are obviously manufacturer/design defects and I get the impression that most extended service contracts don't or they try to weasel out of it.
The way I see it - the power is in the dealer's hands. If they don't want to tear into something Honda will only pay 3.5 labor hours for that will take the dealer a day and a half to do - all the dealer has to do is file a CCTR/ claim that includes "we found excessive mud, water droplets, etc.," and bye bye approval. Only a select few dealers will fight for your approval because I can tell you it is a major money loser to service departments to do warranty work. They get majorly shorted on hours as well as make ZERO on parts - which both are badly needed to turn profit. If they get covered with claims, they lose money that month which is why sometimes a unit will sit for a month if it is a big warranty issue because the dealer will turn out billable hours to customers to make up for the warranty claim losses they are about to incur.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Do not purchase Honda care. Purchase the aftermarket insurance company that your dealer suggests. If never before listen to me on this one my friend.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Do not purchase Honda care. Purchase the aftermarket insurance company that your dealer suggests. If never before listen to me on this one my friend.

Why is that?

By the way, I just got off the phone with Abernathy's. :)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
:) after my last incident I spent lots of time with the service manager at Honda and he said Honda warrentee and others can be a real pain. Something as simple as a head gasket takes forever for approval and the manufacturers always question how hard it was ridden or what caused it. The company we went with was Zurich (not saying best for everyone depending on relationship with your dealer) and the dealer works well with them. So well they just start working on the machine without prior approval because the claims get denied so little. Things get done way faster and they approve so many more situations. I thought I had them on my last rig but i found out that was not the case apparently I had asked for Honda care:-( The reason a dealer will suggest a company is because it's better for them (meaning you as well) this gos for any of the machines. Talk to your service manager and see who works the best and I'd go with that because you'll want a good relationship between the dealer and insurance. Other dealers may have a different relationship with a company even including factory BUT ASK DONT ASSUME like I did. Lessons learned! You like research do just a little here to possibly save yourself heartache just ask.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm really excited for you! Get something before the weekend I will have limited service and want to see pics!!!

advertisement
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm really excited for you! Get something before the weekend I will have limited service and want to see pics!!!

Probably not going to happen. :mad:

Apparently they have winches but don't have winch mounts......

I am going to get a white one though. I really wanted the Silver one but they won't have anymore of them until the end of July and I am afraid if I wait that long I will change my mind again. ;)

Plus, having owned both black and white cars in the past, white is easier to keep clean and doesn't show scratches as easy.

Completely unrelated question, how much trouble is it to take the bed liner in and out?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Crow hunter you will save a ton to not buy winch at factory just a heads up. Unless you're financing that into the deal don't do it. It's an easy install for half price if you do it and follow winch instructions not the Honda ones. . White won't show as bad unless they are deep scratches then they tend to get dirt into them. I love the white always was jealous of those but then again I wanted non red just because everything I buy tends to be red.imo white sets off this machine drastically but color is opinion:) a couple people I asked said they leave screws out. I'm not positive I don't have one yet but it's a really good idea on the 5 to keep crap out of the seats and I will get one asap.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Hmm, sounds just about the opposite from what I've been told around here. Not questioning you, just different from what I have been hearing.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hmm, sounds just about the opposite from what I've been told around here. Not questioning you, just different from what I have been hearing.
It could be that my dealer or your dealer works better or worse with certain companies. That's why I said ask first. If Honda treat them better then that's good. But ask who THEY recommend. I was trying to say don't go in hell bent like apparently I did on a certain insurance. After what happened I asked A LOT of questions! Also you have just under a year for you still to be able to purchase extended coverage and sometimes you can get a better deal if you don't sign up right away.

Last edited:
Reactions: DRAGFOOT