Honda ATC 185s

P

PearlWhiteGT

Jul 21, 2022
South Texas
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I recently picked up a 1983 Honda ATC 185s from a buddy of mine that had it sitting in his shop for about 6 years. Once I got it home and off the truck I gave it a quick wash and started looking it over. All the fuel had been drained out already so decided to remove the fuel tank and give it a inspection. It had a little bit of rust inside but nothing bad at all. I cleaned it out with vinegar and it worked pretty good. That's when I found a couple of fuel leaks. The petcock was leaking and was a small leak from a repaired area.

Ordered a new petcock and cleaned up the previous repaired area to apply some JB Weld Steel Stick and see if that would seal up the pin hole leaks. Gave it a couple coats of paint and painted the fuel tank cap. Doesn't look pretty but just need it to work.

I removed the carb and inspected it. Was pretty dirty and realized it was not the factory carb so just ordered a cheap one from amazon for $20. Checked the air filter and it was still good along with the oil that was in the engine.

Carb arrived so installed it along with a new spark plug and rigged up a spray bottle with some fuel and a nipple to see if it would fire up. After a couple of pulls it fired right up and ran pretty well. At this moment I'm just waiting for the petcock to arrive and get the fuel tank where it's good to go so I can hopefully take it out for a ride.

Here are a few pics along the way.

XqicyG2
FlTw3Dg
Jsrh3iI
AGDy2GM
DcZb8do
08XDHHC
KE4NxsJ
PhyYQAK
Fb4OL0l
WwmR12w

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I recently picked up a 1983 Honda ATC 185s from a buddy of mine that had it sitting in his shop for about 6 years. Once I got it home and off the truck I gave it a quick wash and started looking it over. All the fuel had been drained out already so decided to remove the fuel tank and give it a inspection. It had a little bit of rust inside but nothing bad at all. I cleaned it out with vinegar and it worked pretty good. That's when I found a couple of fuel leaks. The petcock was leaking and was a small leak from a repaired area.

Ordered a new petcock and cleaned up the previous repaired area to apply some JB Weld Steel Stick and see if that would seal up the pin hole leaks. Gave it a couple coats of paint and painted the fuel tank cap. Doesn't look pretty but just need it to work.

I removed the carb and inspected it. Was pretty dirty and realized it was not the factory carb so just ordered a cheap one from amazon for $20. Checked the air filter and it was still good along with the oil that was in the engine.

Carb arrived so installed it along with a new spark plug and rigged up a spray bottle with some fuel and a nipple to see if it would fire up. After a couple of pulls it fired right up and ran pretty well. At this moment I'm just waiting for the petcock to arrive and get the fuel tank where it's good to go so I can hopefully take it out for a ride.

Here are a few pics along the way.

View attachment 354929
View attachment 354930
View attachment 354931
View attachment 354932
View attachment 354933
View attachment 354934
View attachment 354935
View attachment 354936
View attachment 354937
View attachment 354938
Nice!!! 👍

Reactions: Blownzuki
S

SaltwaterSlick

Jul 20, 2022
Southeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had one just like that that I bought in 83... Owned several Honda ATC's and that 185s was my favorite!! Sucker will run like a scalded ape!
My tank also rusted out and got pin-holes in about the same location. I repaired it with JB weld original steel epoxy and it worked fine for years... If you can run ethanol-free gas in it, it will act better. Mine hauled many dead animals out the woods and many decoys/blinds/dogs, etc. into the old rice fields West of Houston...

P

PearlWhiteGT

Jul 21, 2022
South Texas
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Thanks, I'm pretty excited about it. I can easily load it up in the back of my truck which will make my hunting much more fun. Hopefully I'll be able to take it for a ride by the weekend. Just waiting on the new petcock to arrive.