P500 Help

Pioneeeer

Pioneeeer

May 22, 2016
Deanville
Ownership

1. 500
Looking to order a power commander or dobeck afvr, can anyone give me some tips and point me in the right direction ??

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
the stock afrs seem to be on point so unless u intake and exhaust it the dobeck afr wont really benefit you with the power commander it depends on what parameters they are able to unlock with thier software it varies but seems honda is pretty tight so fuel maybe ignition timing dont quote me because i havent played with one yet on the pioneer but feel free to jump in and let us know how she turns out worst case is ur already set for future mod

Reactions: Pioneeeer
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
im going to go with the dobeck just for ease of use and past success seems mine might run a bit lean on deceleration full to no throttle on wide open runs

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
havent tested afrs again and plug still looks good but just a feeling

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
If you go with a powercommander, you almost have to have access to dyno tuning to get any real benefit. Establish a baseline, then it needs to be tuned. You can get one, and just mess with the settings till it "feels" better, but it would take a lot of time and messing around and you might not get much real benefit. My opinion is that you would get more benefit from the Dobeck without having to pay for a bunch of dyno time. And like @jak9922 said, if you aren't doing other mods to increase the air flow in and out, buying any tuner might be kind of a waste.... However, I have yet to hear anyone report on either tuner on a P500.

If you're handy, spend the money on an exhaust system like @jak9922 and fab that up first. Check out his videos with the pipe. It sounds awesome and apparently increased power!

Pioneeeer

Pioneeeer

May 22, 2016
Deanville
Ownership

1. 500
If you go with a powercommander, you almost have to have access to dyno tuning to get any real benefit. Establish a baseline, then it needs to be tuned. You can get one, and just mess with the settings till it "feels" better, but it would take a lot of time and messing around and you might not get much real benefit. My opinion is that you would get more benefit from the Dobeck without having to pay for a bunch of dyno time. And like @jak9922 said, if you aren't doing other mods to increase the air flow in and out, buying any tuner might be kind of a waste.... However, I have yet to hear anyone report on either tuner on a P500.

If you're handy, spend the money on an exhaust system like @jak9922 and fab that up first. Check out his videos with the pipe. It sounds awesome and apparently increased power!
I plan on puttin other mods on very soon, any recommendations for pipe / intake

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
snorkel air filter and custom exhaust or modified foreman 500 hmf

advertisement
Pioneeeer

Pioneeeer

May 22, 2016
Deanville
Ownership

1. 500
snorkel air filter and custom exhaust or modified foreman 500 hmf
I was looking for snorkel kit but couldn't find one will I have to make one or where can I order? Appreciate your time and help

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I plan on puttin other mods on very soon, any recommendations for pipe / intake

With the limited options out there, it's hard to think of a better plan of attack than what @jak9922 did to his. Have you seen his threads? He used an HMF muffler for a Honda foreman and cut and welded to make it work on his Pioneer. It looks really good, and HMF makes nice stuff.
The only thing I might do differently is to use a tuneable muffler like a supertrapp. If its too loud, you can tune it to be quieter. But you can do that with lots of different brands of mufflers... I really like the quality and sound of HMF mufflers though.
As far as building a snorkel, many ways to skin that cat. But like he said, 2" pvc. I'm going to tackle this project soon. The air filter gets filthy so fast because of where the intake is. If you use the 2" and do it right, I think you can get a little more airflow. I would NOT recommend going to a K&N air filter. For off road use, they just allow too much dirt through. I've seen it personally on an engine I built after tearing it down with only about 8 hours of run time with a K&N. Maybe a UNI or TwinAir filter would give a bit more airflow than stock...

Reactions: jak9922
Pioneeeer

Pioneeeer

May 22, 2016
Deanville
Ownership

1. 500
With the limited options out there, it's hard to think of a better plan of attack than what @jak9922 did to his. Have you seen his threads? He used an HMF muffler for a Honda foreman and cut and welded to make it work on his Pioneer. It looks really good, and HMF makes nice stuff.
The only thing I might do differently is to use a tuneable muffler like a supertrapp. If its too loud, you can tune it to be quieter. But you can do that with lots of different brands of mufflers... I really like the quality and sound of HMF mufflers though.
As far as building a snorkel, many ways to skin that cat. But like he said, 2" pvc. I'm going to tackle this project soon. The air filter gets filthy so fast because of where the intake is. If you use the 2" and do it right, I think you can get a little more airflow. I would NOT recommend going to a K&N air filter. For off road use, they just allow too much dirt through. I've seen it personally on an engine I built after tearing it down with only about 8 hours of run time with a K&N. Maybe a UNI or TwinAir filter would give a bit more airflow than stock...
Thanks guys I'm going to try to follow some of jaks methods when I get the chance this weekend!

Reactions: jak9922