P1000 Have to vent about my Honda

ohiohunter

ohiohunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2016
Minerva Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry guys, I love my 1000-5 but this is getting a little ridiculous. Why are we as owners adjusting things that the factory should have a good enough quality program to recognize. I've had to adjust my break spring to make my break lights come on and put my steering wheel on straight, really are you serious can't even put the steering wheel on straight? And now I have to figure what is wrong with the 2 turf, 2wd, 4wd selector light coming on when I select what drive I'm in. And also why can't Honda put a keyed on bus bar in like Polaris does instead of us having to splice a hot wire? Okay my rant is over. I do love my P1000-5 and a ranger doesn't compare.

Reactions: Kdogkan and JTW
Upstatefreedom

Upstatefreedom

May 25, 2016
Colton,New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sorry guys, I love my 1000-5 but this is getting a little ridiculous. Why are we as owners adjusting things that the factory should have a good enough quality program to recognize. I've had to adjust my break spring to make my break lights come on and put my steering wheel on straight, really are you serious can't even put the steering wheel on straight? And now I have to figure what is wrong with the 2 turf, 2wd, 4wd selector light coming on when I select what drive I'm in. And also why can't Honda put a keyed on bus bar in like Polaris does instead of us having to splice a hot wire? Okay my rant is over. I do love my P1000-5 and a ranger doesn't compare.
All minor things buddy. You talk to owners of other machines and almost all will tell you there steering wheel isn't straight either. Also they will tell you about weird s*** they have or don't have on there's. no machine is perfect. I mean yes a powered bus bar would be nice.... but not a big deal to add one. I had a Ranger before my P1K3 and it did not compare. Love my Honda 100 times more!!!!

Paulswa1

Paulswa1

Feb 18, 2016
Strawberry AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought a Can Am Commander XT Limited last year and the steering wheel was crooked. Really chapped my ass. I straightened it myself. Sold the Can Am and bought the Pioneer 1000-5 this year. Much happier with the auto tranny vs the belt drive. Much quieter. Heat issues are my only concern and I addressed those with exhaust wrap and insulation blankets and carpet. Honda should have addressed this in production. Ceramic coated headers would be a start and also a engine compartment vent fan would also help. The maneuverability of the Honda vs the Can Am is night and day due to the reduced length and ground clearance. I do miss the stereo and built in Gps.

Reactions: ohiohunter
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I straightened my steering wheel too. While kinda trivial I totally agree with you. Too much money to have to be fixing things like that. And complaints are always welcome on here in my opinion. I dont care for sugar coating. Tell it like it is.

H

HondaTech

A lot of the stuff falls on the selling dealer....they tend to drop the ball.

I do give Honda s*** for these things making it to us as dealers with stuff messed up. Their trying to get them out as soon as possible, but if your dealer can't catch simple stuff like this, then what else are they missing?

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I do give Honda s*** for these things making it to us as dealers with stuff messed up. Their trying to get them out as soon as possible, but if your dealer can't catch simple stuff like this, then what else are they missing?

I agree! Fortunately im able to do most of my own work due to my dealership employment experience. Even my old dealer is missing this stuff...even in my machine when they know I'll catch it! SMH

Reactions: sharp
H

HondaTech

As you probably know with the experience you have, most set up guys do the bare minimum at most. The steering wheel thing is a huge pet peeve for me and making sure all lights work is another one.

ohiohunter

ohiohunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2016
Minerva Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well while I'm on it. I really wish they would put some kinda of safety switch in so my little kids can't start and put it in gear. I know I know I should be watching my kids and I do but I still worry someday I might not have my full attention on them. I do hear that they are putting some safety features on the new 2017 models but the only one I've heard of is that you have to have your seat belt on your it will not go over 15mph. The one thing I really liked about my old Ranger was the kids couldn't start it without putting foot on break peddle and as of now they can't reach it.

advertisement
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Since we are having a whine festival......I wish when I put it in manual, it'd stay in manual til I was ready for auto. Heaven forbid I have to back out of a mud hole cause when I put it back in low it's back in auto. Wow this therapy crap is great! I feel better already lol

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well while I'm on it. I really wish they would put some kinda of safety switch in so my little kids can't start and put it in gear. I know I know I should be watching my kids and I do but I still worry someday I might not have my full attention on them. I do hear that they are putting some safety features on the new 2017 models but the only one I've heard of is that you have to have your seat belt on your it will not go over 15mph. The one thing I really liked about my old Ranger was the kids couldn't start it without putting foot on break peddle and as of now they can't reach it.
I've thought about the safety thing before, maybe a weight sensor in the seat that shuts it off if you get out or not heavy enough seat weight while in gear. We all have gotten out of the rig before without putting it in park to do something quick like pick up something off the ground. I thought about this when I let my friend drive my ranger xp to show his wife around my property, he put it in gear drove up alittle ways to get something out of his truck left it in gear and my dog jumped in and luckily he didn't hit the gas when he jumped in with my friends wife sitting in it. Another reason I like the pioneer is because of the doors to keep the dog from jumping in.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've thought about the safety thing before, maybe a weight sensor in the seat that shuts it off if you get out or not heavy enough seat weight while in gear. We all have gotten out of the rig before without putting it in park to do something quick like pick up something off the ground. I thought about this when I let my friend drive my ranger xp to show his wife around my property, he put it in gear drove up alittle ways to get something out of his truck left it in gear and my dog jumped in and luckily he didn't hit the gas when he jumped in with my friends wife sitting in it. Another reason I like the pioneer is because of the doors to keep the dog from jumping in.
Find you a 74 VW beetle in the junkyard and grab the weight sensor from under passenger seat. That'd work like you're describing. Gotta be a 74 though. It was a one year only thing.

HoundDog

HoundDog

Sep 11, 2016
North Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok my turn. I do love my buggy but there is room for improvement for sure. I am not impressed by the stopping power of the brakes, everytime I really need them I mash that darn pedal down pretty damn hard and it seems like its got all 4 drum brakes, that's when they are dry. I have good break pressure, and this is my second one. I do love the way it down shifts, almost gets rid of the need for brakes but still. Also I feel like the ride is rougher than it should be, I feel beat up after a few hours of driving. I wish there were some aftermarket seats and brakes available. One other thing that really bugs me is the hole in the firewall that they ran the spring for the brake pedal through.?! Also wish there was more protection around the brake master cylinder. All in all I am very pleased with the purchase and look forward to ironing out the wrinkles .

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok my turn. I do love my buggy but there is room for improvement for sure. I am not impressed by the stopping power of the brakes, everytime I really need them I mash that darn pedal down pretty damn hard and it seems like its got all 4 drum brakes, that's when they are dry. I have good break pressure, and this is my second one. I do love the way it down shifts, almost gets rid of the need for brakes but still. Also I feel like the ride is rougher than it should be, I feel beat up after a few hours of driving. I wish there were some aftermarket seats and brakes available. One other thing that really bugs me is the hole in the firewall that they ran the spring for the brake pedal through.?! Also wish there was more protection around the brake master cylinder. All in all I am very pleased with the purchase and look forward to ironing out the wrinkles .
Ironing out the wrinkles is the fun part....accessories !

Reactions: ohiohunter