P500 Haul & Crawl, RV Flat Towing a truck with P5 in the bed.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I think I am going to go truck shopping for a truck to tow behind my motorhome and wanted input from some of you RV guys.

I want to take a truck with me when I go on a long distance RV trip to ride other parts of the planet. I need a "Toad" truck that can haul my P5 4 wheels down behind a MOTORHOME. My tow rating is about 5,000lbs, so I cant use a full size truck. Once I arrive and unload the P5 I just need a way to get to town or visit places without breaking down camp.

I want to keep it as light as I can. I was pondering a Tacoma extra cab 4x4 and cobbling together a flat bed for it, but the Taco's or any other Toyota 4wd truck don't like to be towed 4 flat, even with a 5 speed, and I really don't want to climb under the truck to unhook a driveshaft because it will always end up raining, and the driveshaft will be in a bind, and there will be dog or bear poop under the truck...and a whole mess of other pains in the ass. I know this from my experience with a tow dolly. Those suck...and NO TRAILERS. Finding a driveshaft disconnect for a Toyota 4x4 limits what years you can buy, and those are getting pretty old and rusty. And doing a full-floater rear end conversion on a Yota will run me nearly $2k to have lockouts on the rear wheels.

So, now I am pondering a used 2wd 5 speed small truck, but I wanted to ask about a Dakota or other mid-sized truck like a canyon/Colorado and get opinions. Does anyone here tow 4 wheels down?

Last edited:
Reactions: CumminsPusher
R

Rustell

I'm confused ... what are you towing with that has a 5000# tow rating.? That is your limiting factor.

Edit; Ok...now I understand.. I think you may have a problem finding a truck that's light enough to meet your towing capabilities that wouldn't be overloaded with your p5 in the back.

Last edited:
Reactions: CumminsPusher