P1000 Hatfield McCoy Trip

I

iloehr99

Feb 27, 2016
Southern Indiana
Headed down to the Hatfield McCoy trials last Wednesday. We stayed at Ashland Resort. Ashland is a really nice place to stay. They are a little tight on parking if you've got a real big trailer but it's not terribly bad. We pulled a 24' equipment trailer with a 03 2500 duramax with the Pioneer and a flashy Canned Ham maverick. 7 hour trip from southern Indiana took us just over 9 do to the dang thing wanting to overheat. Some of the big hills on that toll road had me down to 25 mph by the end of the hill trying to keep the thing from blowing up!! We made it in there bout 1 am their time. They left a key with the security guard so we were still able to get in.

We road Pocahontas the first day. Good scenic views but very very dusty. Our group consisted of Pioneer and Maverick and 4 fourwheelers. Luckily I had the GPS so I spent most the time up front. We kept a very quick pace while were moving. Prolly about a 25 mph average! I stayed in low range and was topped out at 34 mph alot of the time. I wanted to go to high but it just let the thing get going way to fast and I didn't wanna total the thing off the cliff side! My plan was to gas up and eat at the little mom pop resteraunt grill place in Bramwell but the grill was closed. The gas station was open though so we just filled up and and junk food. They only had 87 fuel there. I had 3/4 of a tank but I topped it off anyway. I wasn't about to end up running out of fuel. We made it back just before dark. Total of 42 miles. Would have been done alot faster if it wasn't for the 20 beverage breaks we took. Also it took awhile waiting at each intersection for everyone to group back up do to the amount of dust everyone was spread out quite a bit.

The second day we road up trail 27 and 20 indian ridge trail up to pinnacle. Those trails are alot of fun if you are flying through them. Keeps the adrenaline going with the steep drop off on the side of the trail. It would get boring if we were just cruising at a slow speed being that there is nothing challenging. We road into Mullens where there is a BP gas station and subway. It was 35 miles to that there. We tried to do some of the outlaw trails on the way back but we only found one of the 4 that was on the gps and it was to far overgrown and did not feel comfortable venturing out on it. We made it back just before dark again with a total of 60 miles.

The third day we cruised up to the stair step and road outlaw trails till we got to the pinnacle camp ground area. Those outlaw trails were nice and tight and challenging. They also were not as dusty as the hatfield trails. We road to the riders paradise bar and got some food and more beverages. The bar was pretty sweet although I don't think I'd wanna be there later in the night. Just a bit of sketchyness from the locals. We headed back up an outlaw trail that had deep mud holes at the bottom and going up the hill were some very skinny trails right on the edge. We only totaled 25 miles that day.

All in all it was a great trip! I don't believe I'll go back though. That was my second time riding there and have road all of the main trails. Its also just to far of a drive.

I attached a link to a youtube video from some of the go pro footage the second day.

Reactions: BULLDOG6 and sharp
Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like a good time. I really prefer riding in winter or spring. Wetter trails, less dust and better views without leaves.
You might try some of the more Northern trails. Might be closer?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I didn't see you. Lol.
I was there over the weekend. We only road outlaw trails and to the bar also. Had a blast.
Plan to also do a writeup when I get a chance.

Reactions: sharp
I

iloehr99

Feb 27, 2016
Southern Indiana
I didn't see you. Lol.
I was there over the weekend. We only road outlaw trails and to the bar also. Had a blast.
Plan to also do a writeup when I get a chance.

If you were pulling up to pinnacle creek camping on wagon wheel road about noon or 1 on Friday I may have seen you haha I had to run to Riggys to get a chain and on the way back towards pinnacle creek I was behind a red Pioneer 1000 facing backwards on a trailer with another fourwheeler.

N

Ncrzrhighlifter

Sep 18, 2016
Bear creek nc
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
No need to be worried about riders paradise after dark jerry and Susan the owners keep them straight

Reactions: Hondasxs
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
No need to be worried about riders paradise after dark jerry and Susan the owners keep them straight
Yep.. Never had or heard of a issue.
Usually we will close it down one night. But this trip we had a fairly long ride back to camp so we left around 10pm.