P1000 Hard top with soft top? 1000-5

Up2It

Up2It

Jan 9, 2016
Calgary Alberta
I am currently shopping for a new P1000-5 and this forum has been a amazingly valuable resource!
Thank you to everyone who has posted, (both positive and otherwise), your experience is very reassuring to confirm my decisions...

One of the items that the salesman I am dealing with has said, when outfitting with the soft cab option, they are also recommending putting on the hard top. The logic seems to be that the hard top protects the soft top underneath from degradation from the sun, tree branches etc., and the soft top lines up to the doors and gives a much better seal. Apparently to run both, they just put a couple slits in the soft top where the hard top attaches.
Seems a little like overkill, but does seem to address some of the concerns people have expressed about the fit of the soft top doors etc...
Has anyone heard of this?
We are starting to consider pulling the trigger, as the Canadian dollar is very low, but the price at the dealership hasn't changed (yet)....it is making them a better deal up here at present...

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I would only buy the hard top, the soft top underneath is a redundant waste of money. Plus you can trailer the hard top, wouldn't trust the soft top at Interstate speeds. If a salesman is trying to pad on extra items be very wary do not get fleeced. And to cut up the SOFT top to fit a hard top too that makes absolutely no sense!

Welcome to the club @Up2It

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I agree with Jackal.
You might want to consider a hybird cab for the best of both worlds.
I have the hard top, hard rear panel and glass windshield and might add soft doors later - we'll see how it goes.
I've already driven thru branches that might have damaged the soft roof so I would not go that way.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
From what I've heard, some of the concerns about fit are related to the skill level of the installer.
I've seen the work my dealer does and would be comfortable with them doing the install - but I still like to do my own anyway.

Does anyone have a hybrid cab? Comments about fit?

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If he suggests installing a glass window over plexi definitely run the other way!;)