Hard to find used P1000-5D

M

Melikiehonduh

Jun 9, 2014
In the market for a used P1000-5D...around the central Ohio area....and there is none! Honda must have a pretty good machine if no one is ready to get rid of theirs.....been checking Craigslist daily.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had the same problem in Wisconsin. Found a few for sale but they were priced higher than a new one

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That does tell you something about this machine!

H

HondaTech

The P700 has been put for close to three years? Our dealership has seen 3 used 700's in that length of time. Used Honda SXS's are hard to come by round our parts.

How close are you to Fairfield, OH? Our dealership is selling all 2016 Pioneers at a huge discount. Check us out at heritagehondaky.com or our sister store hondaoffairfield.com for a great deal on any 2016 Pioneer model.

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
buy mine, not a deluxe.... but then thats just headlight and tire/rims.

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
90% of what we have down in florida is deep thick bottomless mud. this machine is not built for that.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

90% of what we have down in florida is deep thick bottomless mud. this machine is not built for that.
Soooo, I take it it's been in thick deep bottomless mud?? And why do you say it wasn't built for that, how so?

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
it has not as i have not snorkeled it. actually never been stuck as i know our areas really well and what to steer clear of, but thats the thing... don't want to have to steer clear of stuff.

anyways, its plenty powerful and has a great ride. the issue is the transmission. if you've done your research you'll find complaints that low isnt low enough and reverse is hi only. problem #1. the second problem is that there is no torque converter (like 700) or centrifugal clutch to allow for a smoother clutch engagement. these clutch packs work like an car automatic, they shift hard with no slippage. unlike car manuals that are dry clutches and allow for a slower engagement and some slippage. so to save from equipment failure they engage the clutch at low RPMs on takeoff well outside the power band. so even in fairly shallow mud, the gears arent low enough and if you need to creep along its outside of the power band and can barely move it's self. i already bought a power commander and was planning for the HMF and a lot of tuning, but to be honest this just isnt the machine for this application. i see someone now has an internal gear reduction and now portals to overcome some of this. i think my riding style and conditions warrant a machine with a CVT. which sucks as i like the really short wheelbase but being able to carry passengers in the back.

Reactions: GPR1500SC and JTW
J

JTW

it has not as i have not snorkeled it. actually never been stuck as i know our areas really well and what to steer clear of, but thats the thing... don't want to have to steer clear of stuff.

anyways, its plenty powerful and has a great ride. the issue is the transmission. if you've done your research you'll find complaints that low isnt low enough and reverse is hi only. problem #1. the second problem is that there is no torque converter (like 700) or centrifugal clutch to allow for a smoother clutch engagement. these clutch packs work like an car automatic, they shift hard with no slippage. unlike car manuals that are dry clutches and allow for a slower engagement and some slippage. so to save from equipment failure they engage the clutch at low RPMs on takeoff well outside the power band. so even in fairly shallow mud, the gears arent low enough and if you need to creep along its outside of the power band and can barely move it's self. i already bought a power commander and was planning for the HMF and a lot of tuning, but to be honest this just isnt the machine for this application. i see someone now has an internal gear reduction and now portals to overcome some of this. i think my riding style and conditions warrant a machine with a CVT. which sucks as i like the really short wheelbase but being able to carry passengers in the back.
Interesting.. I'm not a mudder but I'm looking at buying one soon for general purpose trail riding. It's good to hear honest opinions of its short comings!

advertisement
S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
Interesting.. I'm not a mudder but I'm looking at buying one soon for general purpose trail riding. It's good to hear honest opinions of its short comings!

Well for personal experience, I actually purchased this in west Virginia. While up there we rode the hatfield trails. We ended up pairing up with a rzr 900s for the day that had a led foot. the machine did just fine and performed on par with it. as has been noted extensively, the shifting is noticeable but quickly your mind will shift to driving and no long concerns its self with shifts. i personally find the paddle shifters to be a novelty. the computer handles up and down shifting quite fine and supposedly learns your driving style. for recreational use, i believe trail riding is where this machine excels. with being so short for a 5-seater, its great. especially for those tight mountain switchbacks. noted on the hatfield trails just how tight the turning radius is... no 3 point turns. the open turf mode is great. just recently rode at royal blue and did 90% of it in 2wd turf where my dads kubota RTV had to lock it on all 4wd lo lock.

Reactions: GPR1500SC and JTW
J

JTW

Well for personal experience, I actually purchased this in west Virginia. While up there we rode the hatfield trails. We ended up pairing up with a rzr 900s for the day that had a led foot. the machine did just fine and performed on par with it. as has been noted extensively, the shifting is noticeable but quickly your mind will shift to driving and no long concerns its self with shifts. i personally find the paddle shifters to be a novelty. the computer handles up and down shifting quite fine and supposedly learns your driving style. for recreational use, i believe trail riding is where this machine excels. with being so short for a 5-seater, its great. especially for those tight mountain switchbacks. noted on the hatfield trails just how tight the turning radius is... no 3 point turns. the open turf mode is great. just recently rode at royal blue and did 90% of it in 2wd turf where my dads kubota RTV had to lock it on all 4wd lo lock.
Those are the areas I'll be riding so that's welcomed info!

M

Melikiehonduh

Jun 9, 2014
Gest post

Tell me, what 3 applications are best for the P1000's...?

I was told by a very reliable source....Sport 1000 coming soon:) should be at dealer lots March April timing.

Reactions: JTW
S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
Gest post

Tell me, what 3 applications are best for the P1000's...?

I was told by a very reliable source....Sport 1000 coming soon:) should be at dealer lots March April timing.

farm, trail, hunting

M

Melikiehonduh

Jun 9, 2014
So no to mudding, steep hill climbing....?

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
So no to mudding, steep hill climbing....?

Hill climbing is fine, i road all over in Tennessee and west Virginia... it does great. but for mud, if you were to buying this for mud only like lousiana, mississippi, alabama, florida type nasty deep mud, this is not the machine for it. it does do well and i beat the dogpiss out of mine, but it by far is not well equipped for it. but i also use mine elsewhere so it serves me well for multiple uses. its low RPM and low MPH where it lacks.

M

Melikiehonduh

Jun 9, 2014
Thanks great info