P1000 Harbor Freight Winch

J

JCWalsh

Sep 7, 2016
Shawnee, KS USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I decided to save a few bucks and get the Harbor Freight Winch. I picked up a 5000# for $164 with a coupon. Installed it yesterday on a KFI plate. I went out to complete the wiring today and noticed this. Just pulled it all apart and back to HF for a refund.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
You dodged that bullet.

NOW, don't skimp on the one accessory that might keep you from walking home.

Reactions: amc019
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
One thing to remember, if you get stuck and your economy winch don't work, then what? Not a big deal if never by yourself, but the times you are how long would you be there and will it be worth $100 savings.

Wish you the best of luck with it.

Reactions: amc019
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The HF winch on my foreman is over 3 years old and has always worked like a charm. But there's a huge weight and money difference between it and my p1k too lol.

B

Bfree66

Sep 1, 2016
North Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
HF winch on my previous sxs and now on my p1k5. No problems with them besides loud and slow, but hey the few times I made need it, I'll keep those bucks in my pocket for another access.

Reactions: Diverguy
HONEY_BADGER77

HONEY_BADGER77

Sep 19, 2016
BIG SANDY ,TX
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-3
looks like it was dropped on its end with the scuff marks, I have the 5000lb HF winch on my 1000 and it has already been under water multiple times and pulled myself and 2 buried jeeps out although i had to strap myself to a tree with the jeeps, It is very fast and dependable so far compared to some of the 2500LB ones I used , I also have a 10,000Lb HF winch on my car hauler going on over 9 years old out in the weather and still pulls like new and it has been put to several test. Just my input , I have had good luck with them.

J

JCWalsh

Sep 7, 2016
Shawnee, KS USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
looks like it was dropped on its end with the scuff marks.

The scuff marks happened during removal. I think the terminal was over tightened during manufacturing creating the crack. I understand that that others use a similar cast cap and that it could happen to anyone. I now know that part of paying more for a item is the cost of QC (Quality Control) that would have saved me the time required to remove and now reinstall a new winch. Every dime saved was lost in man-hours.

Just an FYI, The HF Fairlead does not match the holes in the Pioneer bumper.

Reactions: HONEY_BADGER77
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
I have had many HF on all my SXS and all worked great. Always buy the warranty HF don't ask any questions they just hand you a new unit. But none of mine ever needed to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HONEY_BADGER77

HONEY_BADGER77

Sep 19, 2016
BIG SANDY ,TX
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-3
The scuff marks happened during removal. I think the terminal was over tightened during manufacturing creating the crack. I understand that that others use a similar cast cap and that it could happen to anyone. I now know that part of paying more for a item is the cost of QC (Quality Control) that would have saved me the time required to remove and now reinstall a new winch. Every dime saved was lost in man-hours.

yes I forgot to mention I had to make the fairlead mount different because it didnt line up , thanks for that. I know its a pain to have to redo something also.

advertisement
DanDan

DanDan

Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2018
Greenville, tejas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I'm using the 5000 Badland with KFI mount. When ordering the mounting kit directly from KFI, they also offer the correct roller gizmo that fits the bumper holes. Don't have to drill new holes.

Reactions: MMW and Mudwing