P1000 Harbor freight badlands winch

WHITEP1K5

WHITEP1K5

Apr 7, 2017
WEST VIRGINIA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone used a badlands winch from harbor freight? I've been thinking about getting one for my 450 foreman, I have a warn on my P1K and don't want to spend several hundred just to use every now and then around the house. The 2500lb winch I had my eye on comes with a wireless remote, any way to add a rocker switch? Just curious if anyone has any experience with them. Thanks in advance

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
They are great. I have had several of them. Never a problem. And no hassle return if you do have a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: WHITEP1K5
S

scottf

Jan 30, 2017
Meridian, ID
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I haven't used their winches but did buy the $25 synthetic rope kit to carry in my winch bag. Used it yesterday to clear a portion on a forest road... hooked to a choker sling around the end of a big 40' tree, then up to the HF snatch block attached to a tree beside the road, then hooked to the winch line. Everything held fine and it was strong enough to pull the machine forward on an incline. Will also double as a backup winch line.

Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
I haven't had one but have a buddy that has one on his Jeep and has been there for about 10 years. It has never let him down.

Bobby_BAS

Bobby_BAS

Apr 25, 2017
Stearns, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've never used one personally but I have a friend who uses the 5000lb on his RZR and he says they're fantastic, especially for the price.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had one on my foreman for bout 3 years now. Always works like it should. They had them on sale for 49.99 while back so I bought a spare. Well worth the money.

J

Jimmy-AZ

Lifetime Member
May 9, 2017
Gold Canyon, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the 17 P1000 5 LE and wondered about this one myself. Does it come with a mounting bracket that fit or am I going to have to fabricate one?

Sent from my SM-T818V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the 17 P1000 5 LE and wondered about this one myself. Does it come with a mounting bracket that fit or am I going to have to fabricate one?

Not sure about the bigger ones, but the 2500 atv winch doesn't come with a mount.

themightymet

themightymet

May 2, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I have the 5000# on my 16 PK5. I used the KMI mount kit. The plates that come with the winch will not work. I also had drill new mounting holes for the fair lead because the factory hole do not match. I mounted the fair lead a little higher because the angle of the cable would have rubbed the bottom edge of the factory slot in the bumper.

advertisement
WHITEP1K5

WHITEP1K5

Apr 7, 2017
WEST VIRGINIA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the 5000# on my 16 PK5. I used the KMI mount kit. The plates that come with the winch will not work. I also had drill new mounting holes for the fair lead because the factory hole do not match. I mounted the fair lead a little higher because the angle of the cable would have rubbed the bottom edge of the factory slot in the bumper.

I have the warn vantage 4K on my P1K5 with the warm mount and the cable is really close to the mounting plate wondered the same thIng myself.

Reactions: Jimmy-AZ and Delton
J

Jimmy-AZ

Lifetime Member
May 9, 2017
Gold Canyon, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks teemightymet, where can I purchase the KMI mount kit.

SFC

SFC

Apr 22, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 700-4
Had one on my rancher. Kept running the battery down so I ordered a rocket switch and box from Amazon never any issues after that

J

Jshell3

I have the warn vantage 4K on my P1K5 with the warm mount and the cable is really close to the mounting plate wondered the same thIng myself.
The dealership installed my Warn Vantage 4000. I think they turned the winch over. 180. The winch winds off the top. Not ideal, but it's a straighter pull thru the fairlead. The winch is still bolted to the KFI plate at the bottom. The freespool / electrical hook ups are on opposite sides from all the display videos I've seen.

Reactions: nick253
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think some of the 2500 come with a remote which makes it kind of nice. Make sure you have hook into key on power or a switch for the contactor power. I have a neighbor that put one on his atv and got a call from his wife one night while he was away on a job. She said the atv was making some strange noise and when she went to take a look at it was the winch. He hooked the power to the battery so she had to pull out the wire. Just make sure you can turn the power off to it and I'm sure you will be fine.

urbancoyboyja

urbancoyboyja

Buckle Up, I Want To Try Something...
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 25, 2017
WV, USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For you that have used the Badlands 5000 on a p1k5, what mounting bracket did you use. My family got me the winch for father's day so I'm shopping for a bracket now.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
For you that have used the Badlands 5000 on a p1k5, what mounting bracket did you use. My family got me the winch for father's day so I'm shopping for a bracket now.....

more than likely kfi mounts

D

Darrellb

Apr 25, 2017
Henderson
Ownership

1. 1000-5

KFI from Amazon

Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
The dealership installed my Warn Vantage 4000. I think they turned the winch over. 180. The winch winds off the top. Not ideal, but it's a straighter pull thru the fairlead. The winch is still bolted to the KFI plate at the bottom. The freespool / electrical hook ups are on opposite sides from all the display videos I've seen.

I wonder if that makes any difference either good or bad. I did notice that the KFI winch I installed sat a bit below the roller fairlead I thought maybe that's why kfi went with a roller fairlead instead of a haws fairlead. I have synthetic line and had never seen a roller lead with synthetic but the rollers are synthetic so I assume it will be ok. I have to admit I didn't think about turning the winch around so it rolls in from the top. Let us know if you end up running into any issues because the winch is mounted backwards. It seems like a good idea to me but I don't know much. Lol

Reactions: Jshell3
advertisement