P1000 gun boots & dog boxes?

R

RCorley

Feb 27, 2017
Globe, Az
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Researching possible purchase of a Honda sxs. Leaning right now toward a P1000 - 3.
Like the P500 but many areas I will use it are really rutted, or steep and rocky. Am concerned I would be tipping a P500 way too often. So. . . .
How do you carry a rifle or shotgun on the P1000? Anybody mount Kolpin gun boots? Or some kind of gun rack? Photos?
How about taking a bird dog along? I hunt quail in Ariz. Is there room for dog boxes in the back rack?
I picture riding a sxs back into rough country then hiking from there with the bird dogs.
Thanks all. (You can see lots of photos of my French Britts and bird reports on my little website.)
Bob C. Arizona Quail Hunting Camp

Reactions: PioneerPete
sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have 2 ratcheting Rhino grips on the front and middle rops bar. Holds rifle, shotgun, and bow without vibrating. Not for quick access, but solid.

Deer-hunter

Deer-hunter

Feb 19, 2016
Effie,Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am in the process of mounting 2 strong hold gun boots to the roll bar on the back of the cab. I'll. Post pictures as soon as I have them mounted.

J

JTW

P1000 - Big Sky Center Lok gun rack?

I went from the p5 to the p1k-5.. I'm much happier now with the 1000. However, I did like the p5 it just wasn't everything I was looking for. The above link is the route I'll go with my gun rack. As for the dog box.. the p5 would actually allow more room for a dog box.. just depends on your box as to how it will fit in the 1000.

R

RCorley

Feb 27, 2017
Globe, Az
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Deer-Hunter, Yes, sure would like to see photo of your new strong hold gun boots mounted on the back of cab.
Rhino grips, any photos of your Rhino grips? Don't really need "quick access." I "get there" then I hunt.
Overhead gun rack. Never would've considered that one! Wow. Lots of options. . . . Thanks all.
Will check back for photos just in case. . . .Bob C.

Reactions: JTW
H

Hucker

Jul 30, 2016
SE AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the Big Sky gun rack, and am not too happy with it right now. I ride a lot of rough, two track roads down here in the Huachucas, Dragoons, and Chiricuahuas. Twice now, I have had the passenger side rack pop off the ROPS and hit my passengers in the head. Luckily, they were just my knucklehead kids with helmets on. Had it been an adult, I would have been supplying lots of whiskey and/or beers to minimize the potential for lawsuit...

The first time, I chalked it up to the installer (me). But, after it dropped the first time, I took extra care in the re-install. I think there is so much flex when the P1K articulates through rough terrain, that it slips.

It is too bad, because the rack holds the gun great. Very little wiggle, and great access. I am going to try to weld tabs on the top of the v-groove that hooks on the ROPS to see if I can at least make it impossible for it to drop, even if it slips.

Next project will be to weld a bar/plate setup that extends between the front bolts on the ROPS bar and use Rhino clamps so the gun is mounted over the dash. I had this setup on my old Yamaha Viking, and loved it.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@HoundDog would have some good information

H

Hucker

Jul 30, 2016
SE AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here are the pics from my Viking...this worked great, but only room for one on the Viking. Would like to come up with a way to do two, maybe staggered, since I always have at least one other hunter with me.

20160424 175924 20160424 175943 20160424 180001 20160424 180005 20160424 180022 20160424 180100 20160424 175914

Buckshotaz

Buckshotaz

Mar 1, 2016
Arizona
Bob,
Are you still coming by tomorrow? I can throw a couple of shotguns in and we can give my rig a good test drive

Chris

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rhino grips, any photos of your Rhino grips? Don't really need "quick access." I "get there" then I hunt.

I don't right now, but will get some for you. I like you can take the grip off and the base stays. Just have 1 to hold my bluetooth speaker.

advertisement
KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
Researching possible purchase of a Honda sxs. Leaning right now toward a P1000 - 3.
Like the P500 but many areas I will use it are really rutted, or steep and rocky. Am concerned I would be tipping a P500 way too often. So. . . .
How do you carry a rifle or shotgun on the P1000? Anybody mount Kolpin gun boots? Or some kind of gun rack? Photos?
How about taking a bird dog along? I hunt quail in Ariz. Is there room for dog boxes in the back rack?
I picture riding a sxs back into rough country then hiking from there with the bird dogs.
Thanks all. (You can see lots of photos of my French Britts and bird reports on my little website.)
Bob C. Arizona Quail Hunting Camp
I have a full size dog box in my 1000-3 that I use to coon hunt. It is a 48x48 and it fits just fine with the tailgate down. I will probably be getting another small truck dog box as I would like the extra room on the sides if possible, but either will fit.

Reactions: JTW
Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here in Colorado, its illegal to have a rifle in an open gun rack. It must be fully enclosed. I use the Kolpin gun boots on our quads and UTVs.
I have several dog boxes for the trucks and a couple for quads but when I bought the P3, I needed something that fit better. I bought one of these Owens kits, modified it to fit perfectly in the back of the P3 with about one foot of space along the side for packs. Holds 4 dogs comfortably and six if they really like each other.

DIY Dog Boxes: DIY Dog Box Kits | Owens Products

R

RCorley

Feb 27, 2017
Globe, Az
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Chris, Horse camp until Wed. Love to see your rig and your add-ons (and how you carry your shotguns) maybe Thurs or Fri pm.?
-- and perhaps best of all a short test drive. Now That's really dangerous you know -- because if I if I love the rig, my "life savings" might take a hit! :)
Colorado, I'll ck to see how my little Fr. Britt portable kennels would fit first, but the DIY's might be a possible solution.
Hucker, Cool with the over the dash mount. Yes, I too would like to figure a way to hold two guns in case a friend tags along for a bird hike. Since you're riding in some of our Ariz sky islands, I should probably get your take on pros and cons of the P1000 ! Say, vs. the Yamaha Wolverine, Polaris Ranger, CanAm sxs, et. al. . . . . although I'm sure that has been hashed and re-hashed on other posts here if I would just search.
Some really interesting and innovative ideas all. Sure like the forum. Thanks. Bob C., Globe, Az.

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMG 3525 IMG 3526 Here is the base and the 1 I have holding the speaker. If you want more with a rifle I'll get some tomorrow

H

Hucker

Jul 30, 2016
SE AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bob - sounds like you are inviting me to go bird hunting to take a spin in my Pioneer...lol. Too bad birds are done for the season, no?

I could be convinced to drag the rig up for a weekend of riding in your backyard and go shed hunting (Roosevelt Lake area????)...you could test the rig out first hand. There is no comparison btwn the P1K Deluxe and the Viking...and I LOVED my Viking. Ground clearance, short highway jaunts, rider comfort, power, and on and on...all better in the P1K.

My buddy has a Ranger 900 - 6 seater, and after I let him drive the P1K, he told his wife they would be trading soon...

I have no other comparisons for you.

Reactions: Deer-hunter and JTW
R

RCorley

Feb 27, 2017
Globe, Az
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hucker, great invitation for a test ride!! And, yup, after 58 seasons, I know a few places that might hold some birds! Ha!
Shed hunting. . . haven't done that since I lived in Springerville/Eagar (17 yrs.)
I'm a desert rat for sure -- so exploring outdoor Ariz is a passion. Leaning more and more toward a Honda sxs P1000-3 and from all accounts I may be disappointed with anything less.
Keep me in mind about Oct next year, eh? Thanks for the first-hand comparisons. I guess after getting your P1K street legal most drive it in "turf" mode for short paved road jaunts ? One-wheel drive?
Hoping to check out my friend Chris's P1K right here in Globe one day soon. Bob C.

advertisement