P700 Got New K&N Filter, sending it back.

H

Hondroid

Apr 2, 2016
Canada
Just received my HA-5000 and prefilter but I'll be sending it back. Reason being is when held up to the light I can see little spots of light shining through. Why K&N don't put an extra layer or two of gauze I don't know. Also, the little card thats included in the packet outlines what the warranty doesn't cover. This includes any ATV or off road use. That did it for me. I'm sticking with the stock filter. I have a UNI already and I find I can see the same daylight hole through their filter.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just received my HA-5000 and prefilter but I'll be sending it back. Reason being is when held up to the light I can see little spots of light shining through. Why K&N don't put an extra layer or two of gauze I don't know. Also, the little card thats included in the packet outlines what the warranty doesn't cover. This includes any ATV or off road use. That did it for me. I'm sticking with the stock filter. I have a UNI already and I find I can see the same daylight hole through their filter.
Yep. Nothing filters as good as the stocker.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I run a K&N with their pre-charger and knee highs over the snorkel tips. The filter looks like the day I put it in, has far more air flow and that's making the engine run cooler. I did some other mods at the same time so can't say it's all from the K&N but I have more midrange power too. If you plug a stocker or run it through water you're not covered anyway sooo...

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, it's not worth it.

Just tried out the Talon 1000X today at work. Boy is that thing quick compared to the 700.
You think? ;)

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run a K&N with their pre-charger and knee highs over the snorkel tips. The filter looks like the day I put it in, has far more air flow and that's making the engine run cooler. I did some other mods at the same time so can't say it's all from the K&N but I have more midrange power too. If you plug a stocker or run it through water you're not covered anyway sooo...
Lol

Reactions: trigger
ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Will never use K&N bad filters for this use. IMO

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
I’ve run them for 20 years on every car, truck, ATV and now sxs I’ve ever owned and have never had a single issue. I clean and service them when needed. I have cleaned my pioneer filter several times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

advertisement
William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put a new k&n on my truck, and an aem dryflow on my wife’s car... Switched from paper filters. Within 5000 miles, there was dust all in the intake tube that wasn’t there before in both vehicles. Her cars oil report showed high silica... Which is dirt/dust.. Never again! Went back to quality paper filters... Key word quality, not cheapo paper filters... Wix.

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And stock Honda filters are the best. For the fraction of a hp you MIGHT get from aftermarket, it’s not worth chancing for me.

Reactions: 70Bones
H

HondaTech

I’ve run them for 20 years on every car, truck, ATV and now sxs I’ve ever owned and have never had a single issue. I clean and service them when needed. I have cleaned my pioneer filter several times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive seen a 400EX engine destroyed by one in under 2 weeks. They dont seal against the crankcase vent in the airbox and allows it to suck dirt down into the crankcase. I've also seen them contaminate throttle bodies when used in applications where the filter is directly above the intake. I've cleaned so many Goldwing throttle bodies because of valve contamination due to K&N filter oil.

While I personally wouldn't run one on anything I own, I dont see a problem for on road stuff. But the "wont void your warranty" is Bs atleast as far as Honda is concerned. They'll laugh you out of the dealership if you have one installed and try to file a engine damage claim.

I never saw the idea behind it, they dont save money since the original buy in is high. The oil and cleaner cost money and all i have to do when replacing my OEM filter is throw it away and install a new part. Atleats when it comes to on road paper style elements that is.

The oil and labor isnt really a factor offroad since most filters are washable and reusable

Reactions: jonedmonds
William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hate cleaning filters so much, that I usually throw away reusable factory ones and put a new factory one in it...

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
There is also a huge debate in the automotive world about K&N vs Mass Air Flow Sensor contamination, which causes poor running at best. I've personally cleaned many MAFs that appeared to have been soiled by the filter oil. K&N says this happens because of excess oil application. I try to let freshly oiled filters (foam, gauze, or whatever) sit for as long as possible before use.

Reactions: Mopower58
Bigshow

Bigshow

Lifetime Member
Jul 11, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Tried a K&N 1 time for 1 ride on a 250R. The intake boot on the 2 stroke is coated with premix film. A good Twin Air foam filter and the intake is spotless. 5 laps around my practice MX track and the intake boot was covered in silt. Needless to say that ended that day of riding and the carb, boots and reed cage all came off and got cleaned. Threw the K&N straight in the garbage. Will not ever even think about a K&N filter for anything.