moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm a fan of larger bore iron. Particularly revolvers, but am willing to listen to any opinions, discuss.

J

JTW

I'm not a huge open carry fan.. From a defensive standpoint that is. I like bigbore revolvers though. I usually only open carry when hunting or plinking. I'm a .45 guy.
I would suggest, Springfield XD's or XDS depending on weight and capacity needs from a defensive standpoint. Kahr makes a good 45 for its size. I'm a Ruger revolver fan so you can't go wrong there.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Always liked the XD series.
both in 9mm.
53efc44da0ee519a323042d31e8bb57d

Top, XDM 9mm
Bottom XD-9 Mod2.

Last edited:
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
.45 or .44 mag are favorites of mine. My last one was a .357 mag. You bring up a good point JTW, I have the right to open carry in my state and choose to exercise it. That is not the part I wish to discuss, only opinions on suitable firearms for my intended purpose.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, not blind, but those pics are tiny in the phone.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm a fan of larger bore iron. Particularly revolvers, but am willing to listen to any opinions, discuss.

Please don't take offense at this but frankly there isn't one.

Unless you are wearing a duty belt and a Level 4 retention holster along with the training on weapon retention and ground fighting to go along with it.

Bear with me.

I firmly believe in the 2A and CCW anywhere and I have had a CCW and do so on a regular basis since 1997.

That being said Civilians have NO BUSINESS open carrying firearms unless you are on private property hunting or something like that. It is a very, very bad idea to be in public.

-It "scares the horses". Face it, a significant number of people in the US have no firearm training and no experience with weapons. Seeing people that aren't police carrying weapons is "intimidating" to them. Particularly if that person is physically smaller and/or of a different sex/ethnicity than the person carrying the weapon. This does nothing to help our cause and ultimately hurts it as people don't like being fearful and they vote on their fears.

-There are morons everywhere, including gun owners. While you may be a 100% "switched on" individual there is a Cleetus doppleganger of you somewhere that will be doing unsafe things with his sidearm because he wants to "feel big" by making everyone look at him and fear him and will carry the weapon unsafely. See point #1.

-Carrying a weapon opening makes you a "shoot me first" target during an attack and you give up your primary tactical advantage which is surprise. You don't have a radio, you don't have a vest, you don't have backup but you have a gun which means if someone starts attacking and you are the focus, you probably lose because action beats reaction. This also negates the primary benefit of a CCW armed society in that perps don't know who does and who doesn't have a gun so they avoid targeting people who may be armed.

-Guns in "normal" non retention holsters are grab targets of opportunity for thieves and psychopaths. Even with your head on a swivel you can't be 100% observant of everyone around you and you will be giving a weapon to someone that absolutely shouldn't have it.

-It makes extra work on LEOs. If you aren't a cop, they don't know if you are a law abiding citizen exercising a fundamental right or a nutcase trying at best to intimidate the sheeple or at worst a wolf looking to prey upon some so they are taking their attention away from real problems and keeping a weather eye on you because they don't know you. If you were concealed, they would be oblivious and could focus on keeping the real criminals at bay rather than watching you.

DO carry a gun.

DO get training.

DON'T carry openly in public.

Stay inside the OODA loop of your potential adversaries and keep that iron hidden until it is needed.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
GLOCK! The G21 in .45 or G20 in 10mm. If you want large bore.very dependable. Low maintenance.My every day carry is a G27 in .40. I have never had a failure out of any of my glocks... and I have a few!

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
.45 or .44 mag are favorites of mine. My last one was a .357 mag. You bring up a good point JTW, I have the right to open carry in my state and choose to exercise it. That is not the part I wish to discuss, only opinions on suitable firearms for my intended purpose.

I was still typing my response when you posted this.

So if you can't be dissuaded from open carry, at least carry something that has a manual of arms more involved than "point and click".

That rules out revolvers as well as Glock/XD/Sig and such.

Get something that requires a manual safety to be disengaged such as:

HK USP series, S&W M&P safety version, Beretta 92F, 3rd Gen S&W, or the 1911.

That will at least give you or others a fighting chance if you are disarmed and carry a backup that is concealed. Not everyone knows how to turn a safety off on every gun and having an intermediate step to make a gun "hot" can give you or others time to react.

As to caliber, I suggest you peruse some of DocGKRs information about handgun cartridge lethality.

Synopsis: Once you get above a penetration threshold, handgun rounds have very similar performance. No operating room surgeon can look at a wound and tell it was made by a .45 or a .38. Shot placement trumps caliber and using the more beans you have to throw at a target, the more likely you will be to stop it and generally the smaller the round the easier it will be to place accurate repeat shots on a target.

advertisement
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

So if you can't be dissuaded from open carry, at least carry something that has a manual of arms more involved than "point and click".

That will at least give you or others a fighting chance if you are disarmed and carry a backup that is concealed. Not everyone knows how to turn a safety off on every gun and having an intermediate step to make a gun "hot" can give you or others time to react.

As to caliber, I suggest you peruse some of DocGKRs information about handgun cartridge lethality.

Synopsis: Once you get above a penetration threshold, handgun rounds have very similar performance. No operating room surgeon can look at a wound and tell it was made by a .45 or a .38. Shot placement trumps caliber and using the more beans you have to throw at a target, the more likely you will be to stop it and generally the smaller the round the easier it will be to place accurate repeat shots on a target.
Indeed revolvers are my favorite, but you make a good point. I will take that into consideration.

J

JTW

Please don't take offense at this but frankly there isn't one.

Unless you are wearing a duty belt and a Level 4 retention holster along with the training on weapon retention and ground fighting to go along with it.

Bear with me.

I firmly believe in the 2A and CCW anywhere and I have had a CCW and do so on a regular basis since 1997.

That being said Civilians have NO BUSINESS open carrying firearms unless you are on private property hunting or something like that. It is a very, very bad idea to be in public.

-It "scares the horses". Face it, a significant number of people in the US have no firearm training and no experience with weapons. Seeing people that aren't police carrying weapons is "intimidating" to them. Particularly if that person is physically smaller and/or of a different sex/ethnicity than the person carrying the weapon. This does nothing to help our cause and ultimately hurts it as people don't like being fearful and they vote on their fears.

-There are morons everywhere, including gun owners. While you may be a 100% "switched on" individual there is a Cleetus doppleganger of you somewhere that will be doing unsafe things with his sidearm because he wants to "feel big" by making everyone look at him and fear him and will carry the weapon unsafely. See point #1.

-Carrying a weapon opening makes you a "shoot me first" target during an attack and you give up your primary tactical advantage which is surprise. You don't have a radio, you don't have a vest, you don't have backup but you have a gun which means if someone starts attacking and you are the focus, you probably lose because action beats reaction. This also negates the primary benefit of a CCW armed society in that perps don't know who does and who doesn't have a gun so they avoid targeting people who may be armed.

-Guns in "normal" non retention holsters are grab targets of opportunity for thieves and psychopaths. Even with your head on a swivel you can't be 100% observant of everyone around you and you will be giving a weapon to someone that absolutely shouldn't have it.

-It makes extra work on LEOs. If you aren't a cop, they don't know if you are a law abiding citizen exercising a fundamental right or a nutcase trying at best to intimidate the sheeple or at worst a wolf looking to prey upon some so they are taking their attention away from real problems and keeping a weather eye on you because they don't know you. If you were concealed, they would be oblivious and could focus on keeping the real criminals at bay rather than watching you.

DO carry a gun.

DO get training.

DON'T carry openly in public.

Stay inside the OODA loop of your potential adversaries and keep that iron hidden until it is needed.
On point.. and I agree. However, if we don't open carry we're allowing the ignorance to continue.. so it's a catch 22!

Reactions: mjn and BigOL3
J

JTW

That's a very good point as to safety's and open carry!

J

JTW

Frankly.. any are suitable. I'm mostly open carry .22's.. what are your reasons for carrying? Defensive?? Is this an everyday, everywhere weapon?

I actually have multiple layers of defense.. I carry a small kahr p380 24/7...
I have concealed easy access high capacity large caliber pistols in all my vehicles.. along with defensive rifles stashed in each. My plan of action is to make it to the truck! There no way to fully be prepared for all scenarios at any given time so one has to plan for the most likely all while staying vigilant. It's pointless to have any carry weapon that you will not carry at all times!! I found a wallet holster and a compact pistol to be the most convenient and comfortable and therefore the most likely to be with me at all time! I will say having a diaper bag with us at all times is great too!!

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My purpose for carrying is obviously self defense for one, and I feel if we don't exercise our rights, we will lose them. In today's day in age you never know what's around the corner. Especially in my line of work. Secondly I feel there is a statement to be made, I don't have to look like the baddest ass on the block, just like I'm more trouble than whatever I have on me is worth. And yes, I will carry 24-7-365. Especially raising children they need to grow up comfortable around guns those that carry them. That is my response to the opinions voiced here, I sincerely appreciate your input, but am truthfully more interested in making a wise decision in which sidearm I shall carry than arguing the benefits one way or another.

advertisement