Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
hey everyone. I’m planning a trip to either MT or CO for a ghost town loop. Around 300-500miles. Camping/hotels along the way. Anyone interested in going? Thinking April sometime.
?? Anyone??
Have any more specifics in mind on this???

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHoover and BWAF
TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have anymore specifics in mind on this???
Just scratching the surface.. Up for any input and suggestions on planning this, I did just find out about the Alpine Loop in CO.. it’s supposed to have some good ghost towns/history. But I’m still leaning towards MT, Virginia City area and leaving from there. What do you think?

Reactions: BWAF
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Just scratching the surface.. Up for any input and suggestions on planning this, I did just find out about the Alpine Loop in CO.. it’s supposed to have some good ghost towns/history. But I’m still leaning towards MT, Virginia City area and leaving from there. What do you think?
I love the Virginia City area of Montana, and would be very interested in a sxs road/trail trip from there to anywhere. I’ve also been to St. Elmo ghost town and trailhead that I think??? goes to Tin Cup pass (maybe other passes as well) and would be interested in that. You thinking about maybe a week long trek? This is how I’d like to do it....

776AE008 D2AE 4E05 945C 4D7D629B5D59

TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I love the Virginia City area of Montana, and would be very interested in a sxs road/trail trip from there to anywhere. I’ve also been to St. Elmo ghost town and trailhead that I think??? goes to Tin Cup pass (maybe other passes as well) and would be interested in that. You thinking about maybe a week long trek? This is how I’d like to do it....

View attachment 88638

Haha oh wow! That’s pretty damn fancy. That would be nice for them mellow rides. How does it pull?
Let me look into St. Elmo’s.
Yeah anywhere from 3-5ish days. No rushing. Haha.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Haha oh wow! That’s pretty damn fancy. That would be nice for them mellow rides. How does it pull?
Let me look into St. Elmo’s.
Yeah anywhere from 3-5ish days. No rushing. Haha.
It’s only 700 lbs with gear, and pulls very well. I’ve had it through some pretty rough terrain and it does have more ground clearance than the Pioneer.

advertisement
wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Silverton CO is the place to go! OHV's are legal on main and some side streets so you can ride straight from your lodging, East out of town 2 miles and immediately be onto trails nothing else can compare to. Start in town at 9100 feet and go quickly up above treeline up to 13000'. Check out California, Engineer, Corkscrew, Imogene, Cinnamon Passes and Animas Forks. Lots of old abandoned mines and mills to walk through. More trails than a week of hard riding will cover! Wife, kids and I have been there 3 summers in a row and plan to go again in '19.
We left Silverton and went to a friend's cabin near Pitkin and checked out the "trails" from there to Tincup and Taylor Park. Trails are county roads and are long, rough and fairly uneventful. Mile to mile, the Silverton/Lake City/Ouray/Alpine Loop trails are much better, more challenging and visibly stunning.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Wife, kids and I have been there 3 summers in a row and plan to go again in '19.
Well then, if you can make it real late summer, you can join us there for the 2019 group ride. Check out the Rocky Mountain regional thread if you’re interested. :)

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How late?? We left this year after a beautiful week on 9-21 and they had heavy snow just over 2 weeks later. Seasons change almost overnight. First year we were headed home on Labor Day after a week of good weather and last summer we were there end of July/first of August during their rainy season and I like to have gotten hypothermia on my Rincon following wife in 700-4.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
How late?? We left this year after a beautiful week on 9-21 and they had heavy snow just over 2 weeks later. Seasons change almost overnight. First year we were headed home on Labor Day after a week of good weather and last summer we were there end of July/first of August during their rainy season and I like to have gotten hypothermia on my Rincon following wife in 700-4.
Yeah, don’t want to do monsoon, July and August. September 6th is the 2019 group ride!!!

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Having been to both areas now, the San Juans are to me hands down a better place to go. Sorry:rolleyes:! Less miles of monotonous driving and more awesome and hair raising trails with much more beautiful vistas. We rode 160 miles in 4 days and covered a bunch of trails and drove 120 in a day and half from Pitkin/TinCup area and didn't even get to St Elmo as was too far in the time available. My friend with the cabin north of Pitkin was a native of the area and warned me of Hancock Pass being very dangerous and Tomichi was closed for a fatality at a rock slide this year. Plan a Silverton Takeover and wife and I are in for sure!:)
We just got back from Mena/Wolf Pen and those trails are a kiddie park comparatively!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
We just got back from Mena/Wolf Pen and those trails are a kiddie park comparatively!
Should have posted your ride. That’s our back yard.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Having been to both areas now, the San Juans are to me hands down a better place to go. Sorry:rolleyes:! Less miles of monotonous driving and more awesome and hair raising trails with much more beautiful vistas.
But you said Silverton is the place to go....And that’s where the group ride is September 6,2019. You might check out the thread.

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh! Last I had seen it was Taylor Park... I'll re read the thread!
I'll figure out (wife:D) how to post pics!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Oh! Last I had seen it was Taylor Park... I'll re read the thread!
I'll figure out (wife:D) how to post pics!
Yes, it is Taylor park. But isn’t that very close to Silverton?

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry but no. It is over 150 miles away. We left Silverton at 11 and didn't get to Pitkin until 3. Silverton is 50 miles north of Durango and Taylor Park is Northeast of Gunnison.
My friend told me the geology of the area is the reason for the trail differences. Taylor Park is older more weathered and softened Rocky Mountains and the San Juans are relatively young volcanic mountains giving much steeper and rugged terrain and matching trails!

advertisement