YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Only have had time to put 30 miles of mixed driving so far, but I have made note of shifting points according to rpm's. For me, in high range while driving it easy, it upshifts right about 3500rpm's. In low range it's almost 4500rpm's before it upshifts. Does that sound about right?

Also, when changing from turf, to 2wd, or 4wd, or 4wd diff lock, I have to drive around a bit before it engages. Is this normal? I'm not really concerned with 2wd to turf as much as I am when trying to get it in 4wd diff lock. If I'm in a bad place I want to lock in the 4wd diff, then ease out of it with all four tires pulling. That's not an option if I have to drive it around for anywhere from 20 feet to 200 feet before it finally engages. I'm thinking when I select 4wd diff lock it should be there now, or shortly after I give it some throttle. How does your rigs react to drive modes changes?
Don't get me wrong, I love this rig, but if I'm in a bad spot and need to crawl out in low range and 4wd lock, driving around a while and waiting for it to engage is a piss poor design if that's normal for the transfer.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If driving in a straight line, it will take a while. Even if sawing the wheel a little bit. Mine will drive pretty far before engaging. I've gotten stuck numerous times in 2wd and it will engage immediately when the tires start to spin.

Think about the way the differential works. It needs the left and right wheels to spin at different speeds to engage the teeth. That happens quick in a mud hole.

So, if stuck in 2wd, put it in 4wd lock and give it moderate pedal and it will engage very quick. Then you can hammer down!

Reactions: YardDog and Jshell3
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Oh, one more thing....Go Hogs!

(Delton) "I HATE light scratches too. Makes me think I left some fun on the table. So I go back out there and cover them up with deep scratches. Works every time lol."

Reactions: YardDog
J

Jshell3

Yep. Mine seems to want to release into turf mode when it's good and ready.

On the flip side (in a good way)

But I've also noticed that 4 wheel drive and dif lock seem to be engaged even if the dash indicator hasn't confirmed.

Like the dash will still say 2wd, tho my lever will be in 4x4... I'll spin 4 tires in gravel to test.
Eventually the dash indicator catches up.

YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think I'm starting to understand. Driving around in a pasture in 4wd diff lock to test it doesn't actually kick in until it's needed.

YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
But lights or no lights, you can feel when 4wd diff is locked. I guess it kicks in when it's needed and otherwise continues in the last mode it was in?

J

Jshell3

I think I'm starting to understand. Driving around in a pasture in 4wd diff lock to test it doesn't actually kick in until it's needed.
I suppose... It WILL kick in, tho.

I thought my cable needed an adjustment. So I'm glad you asked the question. Good to know somebody else was scratching his head over it, too.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You're won't need it until this happens......

(Delton) "I HATE light scratches too. Makes me think I left some fun on the table. So I go back out there and cover them up with deep scratches. Works every time lol."

Reactions: Tolbert and YardDog
J

Jshell3

But lights or no lights, you can feel when 4wd diff is locked. I guess it kicks in when it's needed and otherwise continues in the last mode it was in?
You should feel it in the steering, definitely.

And when I wanna be in turf, but my P1k5 hasn't decided that it wants to be in turf, you find it doesn't "roll" as easy. (And you'll also notice grass being eat up, lol).

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

It just takes a little bit of differential in left and right tire speed to engage. So, if the right tire spins faster than the left and you have the lever in "lock" it will lock up quickly.

If it doesn't, you'll need to adjust the cables Or have the dealer do it.

advertisement
YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks guy's, much appreciated. Now that I understand the nature of the beast I'll start venturing farther with more confidence. I understood the differential speed per axle needed, but was thinking like an old truck. Low lock is there 100% as soon as ya shift. Again, thanks for clearing up the fog.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You're won't need it until this happens......

Somebody is having "TOO MUCH FUN!!!!!"

Reactions: joeymt33
txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
it amazes me some of the stuff i go over (rocky terrain not mud) in TURF.