P1000 General Accessories Question

M

Markbama

Nov 27, 2015
Millbrook AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All,

I have been lurking on this forum for awhile now...I finally pulled the trigger, I am picking up my 1000-5, silver in Chattanooga this saturday. I know I want a roof, a windshield and skid plates, arm protectors immediately. So my question is aboyt the skid plates, can you put them on without a lift? Is there some lift hacks I may be able to use...that I am not aware of?

I am nervous and excited...never spent this kind of money and I don't want to muck it up...

cheers

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
All,

I have been lurking on this forum for awhile now...I finally pulled the trigger, I am picking up my 1000-5, silver in Chattanooga this saturday. I know I want a roof, a windshield and skid plates, arm protectors immediately. So my question is aboyt the skid plates, can you put them on without a lift? Is there some lift hacks I may be able to use...that I am not aware of?

I am nervous and excited...never spent this kind of money and I don't want to muck it up...

cheers

All you guys and your Silver machines.... :) (That is what I really wanted but couldn't wait)

I would wait on the windshield until you get it and drive it, you can always buy it later. The machine is pretty hot as is and from what I have read on here the windshield makes it worse. I test drove a P1000-3 with a windshield/roof and hard back panel and it noticeably pulled warm air up into the cabin area.

While I like the Honda rear A-arm protectors quite a bit, I am not as much of a fan of the front. I think they could have done a better job of protecting the front CV boot and if I could do it over again, I would probably look much closer at getting an aftermarket set.

I am not sure about the skid plate assembly since I personally don't have them but I have seen where people used their winch to lift the front of the machine and put it on blocks.

Don't get the Honda skid plate though. It only protects what the factory (plastic) skid plates cover now and leaves the sides open/unprotected.

I am planning on getting one eventually and I looked at the Honda one because it was cheaper and I found out it is because it doesn't cover all of the bottom of the machine.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can't remember if I had the lift on mine when I installed the skid or not, but even without a lift, I could install it without raising machine. It's tight under there but that's actually a good thing. I played each piece on my stomach and slid it in place. Having a gut like me helps lol.

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just put my front tires on ramps I use for changing oil in my wife's Honda Pilot. Worked well.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put mine up on 4 ramps. Works good for oil changes, too.

Like this...

20160702 012939

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
All,

cheers

How close are you to Guntersville? We could install those skids rather quickly if we team up. I guess this kind of lift helps too....

750b1a9071642ef0badd40e38bda2de3

Reactions: pct and Crow_Hunter
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It may not be that bad if you have your skid plates with you when you're bringing your pioneer back down south.

Other than that, some people winch theirs into a tree or winch it over sideways to help gain access. Just always use safety strap if you are suspending the vehicle.

Reactions: pct
M

Markbama

Nov 27, 2015
Millbrook AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It may not be that bad if you have your skid plates with you when you're bringing your pioneer back down south.

Other than that, some people winch theirs into a tree or winch it over sideways to help gain access. Just always use safety strap if you are suspending the vehicle.

I thought of that...I won't have them unforturnately...I think I may have a solution...but if that falls through I may just take you up on your offer. I have driven a lot further for alot less...lol! Plus I get to meet a fellow pioneer rider...

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I thought of that...I won't have them unforturnately...I think I may have a solution...but if that falls through I may just take you up on your offer. I have driven a lot further for alot less...lol! Plus I get to meet a fellow pioneer rider...
Drive down/up and meet him. He's a helluva nice guy and very knowledgeable bout these things. Can't beat him with a stick.

Reactions: pct and joeymt33
advertisement
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just put my front tires on ramps I use for changing oil in my wife's Honda Pilot. Worked well.
I've got a set of those, don't now why I didn't use them. I figured if I can slide TH350s into place using my belly, a skid plate wouldn't be a big deal lol

Reactions: pct and joeymt33
KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
I've got a set of those, don't now why I didn't use them. I figured if I can slide TH350s into place using my belly, a skid plate wouldn't be a big deal lol
If you would have bought a FORD, you wouldn't have to do that :p

Reactions: Delton and joeymt33
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Take a look at @JACKAL 1000 build. He shows the proper way to install the skid plate. He has a good point on installing it though, and that it should be the first thing you put on before you get the rig too muddy.

Reactions: joeymt33
M

Markbama

Nov 27, 2015
Millbrook AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Take a look at @JACKAL 1000 build. He shows the proper way to install the skid plate. He has a good point on installing it though, and that it should be the first thing you put on before you get the rig too muddy.

Yeah I have had a man crush on JACKALs builds for some time now...

Reactions: joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Nothing but love for ya man!

Actually, I've got to pull the rear differential again and install a new seal. I need to find someone that needs some work on their pioneer and trade off the labor.

I'll just keep my knife on my hip, just in case.

Ed5919fc36c98825fc23ae0302fd5d35

Reactions: pct and sharp