P500 Front Gear Oil...

J

Jshell3

Lately, my bike @ mile 260 makes a vibration / rattle in front.

So I loaded it up and took it dealership. The guy behind the service counter (not a mechanic) rode with me and said to change the front gear oil. They put me in the books and will call me back in 3 weeks to see if the noise persists, if so I could bring it straight in. <-- SMART MOVE
Best I can describe is a backlashing sound when the fronts and rears are turning at the same speed (or perhaps, not turning at exactly the same speeds).
  • 4x4 enabled
  • 5th gear
  • speeds over 24 mph
  • noise sounds when under acceleration
In my limited knowledge, I suspect the front is slack, due to slight differences in tire speed rotation. So I've been letting air out, adding air to... to no avail.

I'd be VERY interested to know more about front oil differentials and changing.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Lately, my bike @ mile 260 makes a vibration / rattle in front.

So I loaded it up and took it dealership. The guy behind the service counter (not a mechanic) rode with me and said to change the front gear oil. They put me in the books and will call me back in 3 weeks to see if the noise persists, if so I could bring it straight in. <-- SMART MOVE
Best I can describe is a backlashing sound when the fronts and rears are turning at the same speed (or perhaps, not turning at exactly the same speeds).
  • 4x4 enabled
  • 5th gear
  • speeds over 24 mph
  • noise sounds when under acceleration
In my limited knowledge, I suspect the front is slack, due to slight differences in tire speed rotation. So I've been letting air out, adding air to... to no avail.

I'd be VERY interested to know more about front oil differentials and changing.
It's very easy to change the oil. You may want to use a good synthetic. However, the symptoms you describe seem to be a problem unrelated to oil. I hope the dealership takes care of you on this.

Reactions: Jshell3
J

Jshell3

It's very easy to change the oil. You may want to use a good synthetic. However, the symptoms you describe seem to be a problem unrelated to oil. I hope the dealership takes care of you on this.
Yeah... from the vibe I got from the counter... it was more of a "Pay us $200 to do a full service and we will check everything out for you."
Me, "This has nothing to do w/ that".
Dealership, "I know..."

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yeah... from the vibe I got from the counter... it was more of a "Pay us $200 to do a full service and we will check everything out for you."
Me, "This has nothing to do w/ that".
Dealership, "I know..."
Yeah, I'm very concerned about Honda service.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I responded to your post in another thread about changing the front diff oil.

J

Jshell3

I responded to your post in another thread about changing the front diff oil.
Thank you.
I brought it up yesterday, but didn't get a single response, (figured I was in the wrong category or something) so started this thread today, at lunch.

I'll check it out.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Thank you.
I brought it up yesterday, but didn't get a single response, (figured I was in the wrong category or something) so started this thread today, at lunch.

I'll check it out.
I would have responded to your new thread first, but I had a notification that you replied to my old post so I answered you there. I've been busy with lots of things, so I haven't been on the forum much lately.

The main thing that you need to worry about is making sure you have a funnel with hose, or a pump, so that you can get the oil in the diff. If you just try to pour it in the hole, it will not work out for you. If you have a set of metric sockets, changing the front diff oil (and the rear diff for that matter) is very easy - even if you don't have experience with this sort of thing.

If you're doing the front, you might as well do the rear too - it's even easier and it only takes about 5 ounces of oil.

Reactions: trigger and Jshell3
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I swapped mine after a few miles to synthetic Redline heavy duty shock proof gear oil. Have used it in my Honda Rubicon and also in my 96-97 powerstoke trucks and it seems to be great lube. Might even quieter the racket down some. This stuff pours pretty slow so you'll need a flexible hose and funnel.

j

Reactions: Jshell3
J

Jshell3

I trailer my P500 because the Honda dealer service said tomorrow they could take an in depth look at it.

Noise is still there. Tbh tho, I rarely put it in 4x4 and drive 5th gear on pavement... but it's still there, none the less.

Anyways, as I'm trailering it and looking it over, I notice a tear in my front passenger inner CV Boot. Some grease/oil is leaking out (or at least, its wet at the tear w/ an oily texture.)
Tear is very minor, but it ain't sealed no mo'.

Anyone else notice that the driver side front CV axel is fairly well protected but the passenger is severely under protected and just seems to be "stuck out there"?!?

I mean come on Honda, bend a plate, 2 screws.
It wouldn't have been that hard.

So, I'm researching stick stoppers.
Thanks to those about the heads up on the 30% off sale for the skids and Arm guards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Shadesmn
J

Jshell3

Btw. Cv boot tear... not under warranty (I'm sure).

499 miles on my P500, now.

Last edited by a moderator:
advertisement