Front brakes wornout 400mi

R

RCINDAUP

Jun 1, 2014
I buy a Pioneer 700-4 in Dec 13 for Christmas- Play in the snow for a couple of weeks- Put it away for 2months- very cold in Upper Michigan this past winter- but made it to break in service- End of March bought tracks for it so I could play in the snow- 5 weeks later go to put the tires on and the front brake pads are worn out- metal on metal. 454 miles all in snow and most with tracks- Who needs to use the brake pedal when you have tracks on? Take it to the dealer and Honda turns down the warranty- Call Honda open a case they turn it down- say dealer found sand around the calipers. Driveway is gravel just putting on the trailer gets sand everywhere. Front pads are $176.00 from Honda and as cheap as $40.00 aftermarket. Have never received such careless customer relations before. Will have to only buy aftermarket parts or sell the SxS I guess. Has anyone else wore out brakes so fast? Had such poor service from Honda? The SxS has been great and able- but if I have to change front brakes with the change of the seasons this won't work for me. Would really like to hear any news good or bad on this

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
There was another post on here about rapid brake-pad wear...something like 300 miles. Honestly, its the only other one I've seen.
Unless you live in mud...not normal at all! I just broke 1700 miles in the desert and my pads look new.

Honda customer service can be a little lacking. You can try pitching a fit and threaten lawsuits...maybe threaten to stop making payments...but ultimately, i think you may just have to pony up, but i don't think what has happened to you is typical. Just seems like a bad batch of pads.

And yes, i have been bent over by Honda and its "customer service" as well ( many years ago ).

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
RCINDAUP, Welcome to the community. Sorry a issues like this brought you here.
So far, there have only been a few cases of this issue. You having tracks seems to me that pressure is being applied somehow when it should not.
Were both pads wore evenly?
Wondering if a caliper was stuck.

Here is the post from the other member. the-shop-f45/front-brake-issues-t1119.html

R

RCINDAUP

Jun 1, 2014
I looked everything over- caliper slides- how the piston moved back- curiously only the inboard pads on both sides were metal to metal- outboard pads both had between 2/32 & 5/32 left but very even- pads slid well. Figured only pad material or bias- even checked for air in the rear- just couldn't justify 400 miles of wear in snow- no real call to use the brakes. Considering the amount of snow we had this year and the frost made it 8ft down. Only thing that did bother me is after running in the deep snow, seemed like it was hard to move the next day for about 3-4 feet- than moved like normal, figured it was ice in the tracks- maybe calipers were iced up. Sure doesn't seem possible the brakes are so car like- just seems like bad pads. Still just seems like as soon as you buy it they bail on the service. The dealer has been good though- if I keep it -will be last Honda I buy after this

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I put the front pads from a big red on the front. I haven't checked them or recorded my mileage lately but next time i get ready to ride i'll update everyone. As far as the dealer, mine said if it wears out the pads in the same manner to bring it in and they will cover it.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Rcindaup, I would agree with Westtnpioneer. If it happens again I'd be raising some cane with the dealer.
I see them not wanting to cover the first set. But if the uneven wear continues there's a problem somewhere.

Thinking about it.. I have about 400 miles now. I need to check mine.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
If it wore the pads out in the winter then more then likely its a icing issue.For what its worth I ran tracks on both my two Polaris machines for one winter and after a days riding we'd clean all the snow and ice off that we could.Then we'd put both in the heated shop. The next day you could put your foot on the brake pedal of both machines and the brake pedal would go to the floor.You'd have to step on the pedal a couple of times to get the brake pedal back up to normal. Every ride in the snow did this with tracks on. The Brake Rotors would build up with ice and slowly push the pads away.Now you have to remeber that this was on both machines.We never left them out overnight so they were always thawed out. I do know that say if you were riding and stopped for awhile 5-10 minutes that when you'd take off the brakes were stuck and we got used to backing up just a bit to break them free. On another note when ever we did stop for any time we'd clean the snow away from the axle boots to keep them from being torn if the snow ice would freeze to them. I only ran tracks one winter and sold them because of all the wear and tear they put on the drivetrain etc: I'd never run tracks again because of the issues that they caused plus the slow speed and gas consumption.

So my answer to you is that the ice build up somewhere is what has possibly caused the rapid brake pad failure.When you put your new pads on see how they were this summer. I got my Pioneer in Nov 2013 and have 1500 miles and there's no brake wear yet.

JoKer150

JoKer150

Feb 19, 2014
Louisiana
I had the same issue. I live in La and my brakes went out after 2 months! My dealer told me "if you have driven in sand or water, THAT IS NORMAL!" I called Honda Cust Serv, the rep apologized, but said sorry I can't help you. So I cancelled my extended warranty to pay for brakes. I replaced brakes at 300 mi and they are squealing again at 550. Best thing to do is buy Big Red brakes on eBay and learn how to change brakes.