P700 Front axle replacement

R

Rsfdmf

Feb 7, 2019
PERRY Ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
Does anyone know the torque specification for the castle nut on the front axle? I ripped a boot on one of the joints so I decided to upgrade the axles while I had everything apart. Any help, tips, guidance will be greatly appreciated.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Does anyone know the torque specification for the castle nut on the front axle? I ripped a boot on one of the joints so I decided to upgrade the axles while I had everything apart. Any help, tips, guidance will be greatly appreciated.
I get a kick out of questions like yours, start at the basics, are the threads clean, even brand new, chase the threads with a nut, if it's rough apply some anti-seize and chase the threads until the nut will moves smoothly the entire length, now your are ready for reassembly. Dirty or damaged threads will give you a false reading on a torque wrench and spindles with cotter pins is a whole other story. 14 MM and lower I use a 3/8 inch ratchet and just snug, 15 MM and above, 1/2 inch ratchet and just snug, but I've done a lot of wrenching. Just use your head, small bolts less, bigger more. And you can always use a very small dab of Blue Loctite.

H

HondaTech

Late to the party.

When removing a front axle you only need to remove the shock bolt, lower a-arm mount bolts and hub nut.

To make it easier, I remove the shock completely. But everything else can stay attached.

R

Rsfdmf

Feb 7, 2019
PERRY Ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for all the help. I am a retired millwright so working with my hands is nothing new. I just wanted to make sure that I used the correct torque specs. :)